won pro heater, must see

call me back

call me back

well I called won brothers and have yet to get a response from the company on the missing ground.

I feel like there selling people a false sense of security.

Surprisingly there is a titanium heater that's about half the cost of WON, it's made by Via Aqua and sold at BigAl's online. I think I paid about $16 for a 100w titanium. Been using them for about 9 weeks now, and they hold the temp exactly where I set it (confirmed with thermometer).

I have the Won Pro Heat II 350 Watt with LCD display. I ohm'd it out just now to see if the probe is grounded. It is. But yours is obviously not, I'd like to here Won's explanation on this. A ground wire that goes to nowhere? Electrical inspectors and UL approvers would be up in arms over this LOL.

Hi crescent1- distressing news, nothing like skipping a ground here, insulation there, burning your house down all over- i've noticed a fair amount of this kind of short-shrift on things like fans, etc. over the years. I plan on checking mine out soon. Especially in light of any continued non-responsiveness from the company, we all owe you for possibly busting 'em. They've got to know this kind of publicity, if, ahem, grounded, can do them in.

By the way, one of your photos shows your heater with a fair amount of build-up. Mine gets that, too- has it ever been a problem?

thanks-

hey tunjee, if you get a chance, put a continuity tester from the ground on the male end and to the heating rod and tell me if you get continuity.

kfisk, i havent noticed any problems with the ca build-up but it should be cleaned before it gets that bad.

asmujica said:
Does it really need a ground?

a ground is the most important aspect in any electrical appliance. Without one, you become the ground and we all know what happens then.

crescent1 said:
a ground is the most important aspect in any electrical appliance. Without one, you become the ground and we all know what happens then.

Yes, but with saltwater aquariums we all have a GFCI, sometimes in addition to a grounding probe (which is debatable if needed in a tank)

Supposedly, it also has this:

Automatic protection device activates when sensor wiring is disconnected or shorted._

I agree asmujica about the gfi's, but keep in mind thay can fail.

a ground wire will not fail, wich is a plus if you dont have a gfci in line and you trust the company that makes the heater would attach the ground wire to the unit.

I thought i read somewhere that a GFCI is useless if not grounded... would that make it useless if this heater had a problem?

niko5 said:
I thought i read somewhere that a GFCI is useless if not grounded... would that make it useless if this heater had a problem?

When you place the water in the tank it would trip the gfci.

crescent1 I don't know if grounds in a tank are trully necessary. I've read a lot of threads concerning grounding probes, from people with way more knowledge of the stuff than I do, that dismiss the need for a grounding probe in a tank.

I think it should be attached to the titanium housing.

I just ordered one, too. I did not get the digital one, though. I did not want to take a chance with any EMI problems.

I might just take it apart before I put it in service.

i think your missing my point, my concern isent with grounding the tank water with a probe, but having a ground on the electrical equipment we put in the water.

MINE IS ALSO CUT!! Pic is a little blurry, but its cut alright!!

Maybe before when WON was having a bad name with their heaters failing, this fixed the problem for them.

wonheater-1.jpg

crescent1 I would have thought both things serve the same purpose, except the ground on the heater is more localized?

asmujica, they do serve the same purpose but im not debateing over a ground probe, my issue is with the heater and the three prong male plug in wich the ground wire is not attached.

Although I think the ground is basically useless in this application...and potentially harmful...here is my take on this:

Grounding is not required by NEC.

NEC 250-114 (3)(b) requires "exposed noncurrent-carrying metal parts...shall be grounded..."

250-114 only applies to the AC parts of the circuits. It looks like all the AC parts of the circuit are plastic (non-metal), so no grounding required.

You could argue though that the manufacurer of that cable requires it to have the ground connected (or they wouldn't have put the ground wire in) so you automatically break the NEC rules by not following the instructions of the cable manufacturer. Of course, that is stupid.

You could also argue that the 24V part of the circuit (which is what I understand goes out to the heater tube) is rectifier driven and is specifically NOT required to be grounded by 250-21(2) or by 250-162.

Ok now for the potentially harmful part...
1) If the heater tube metal was grounded you have a nice wet cell setup which will cause massive corrosion of the tube and premature failure. Dumping who knows what corrosion product into your water and connecting that dry electrical heating element to your wet tank, thus testing if your GFCI and/or breaker really do work like they should.

2) If you have multiple grounded pieces of metal in your aquarium you risk setting up ground currents from a high impedance "leaking" circuit that may or may not trip your GFCI/breaker. Thus putting some small unwanted current through your tank all the time. Lots of folks think this is bad.

3) Look at most of your equipment in your tank. It isn't grounded. Most stuff doesn't even have a 3 prong plug. Don't assume that since your home oven has a ground that makes it safer means that no ground on other stuff makes the other stuff unsafer. If it ain't needed by code it either ain't needed, or actually causes more potential harm than good. Ooo what a bad example...Grounding of ovens has only been required for a couple of years! (1992 I think).

Back