won pro heater, must see

My two Wons that I purchased about 3 years ago do not have grounds on them. They just have two prongs, just like my maxi-jets :)

Anyone use the Gen-X titanium heaters yet??

I just got mine. It is the non digital 350W. The ground wire is connected at the controller. I did not see if it is connected in the actual heater though.

I was going to explain why the heating element cord might not need the ground wire, but I have no explanation why the main power isn't grounded, oh well..:D

I would also guess that Wons crapping out isn't about that ground wire issue.

Anyway, Dan at saltycritters recommended the Gen-X over the WON, so I got one a month ago. It works fine so far. It is a separate sensor/controller/heating element deal too.

Last edited:
Anyone use the Gen-X titanium heaters yet??
I just picked up 3 of them. Actually ordered 2 of the 500 watt units for my 180, and 1 300 watt for my 90, but they were out of stock on the 300, so they sent another 500 in it's place. Only been in use about 2 weeks, so not time to have any real comment, other than it does keep the water at a pretty constant temp in the 90...With 500 watts, it should! Onother 300 is on order, and will replace the 500 once it arrives.
On the subject of Ebo Jagers, I've had 2 of them fail in the last year, both less than 10 months old. Argueing about warranty now, but it's a $20.00 heater, so I'm not gonna lose any sleep if they win.

BoomerD,
Do you have two heaters hooked up to the one thermostat? It has two outlets to hook it up. Premium Aquatics said you could have up to 900 watts on one thermostat. I just got mine today.

The transformer on the board is likely only powering the board and not the heater. I think a much larger transformer would be required to supply 350w. It appears as if the board is 24V and it is switching a relay to connect 120V to the heating coil. The Titanium housing could be grounded and this would be ideal. I believe the problem is Titanium is extremely difficult to attach to and it is probably not economically possible to attach a ground- you could not just use solder. They do make very high end Titanium heaters. Schemel and Goetz (Schego) makes a very nice one that is grounded but because they don't think they can sell a heater only with no control for roughly $75 they won't make it for the US market. I have tried several times to convince them and to convince the importer that they should do it, people always learn the hardway and if you only have to buy it once it is quite cheap.

reefmarker said:
1) If the heater tube metal was grounded you have a nice wet cell setup which will cause massive corrosion of the tube and premature failure. Dumping who knows what corrosion product into your water and connecting that dry electrical heating element to your wet tank, thus testing if your GFCI and/or breaker really do work like they should.

This is news to me. I know that titanium rusts (titanium dioxide), but it is not supposed to corrode. I've never heard of electricity causing oxidation. Am I reading this wrong? :confused:

Not to change the topic, but does anyone use an inline heater anymore? About 10 years ago when I set up my first reef I used a 500 watt Fireplug. I never had a minutes trouble from that little guy.

Mine was showing continuity so...`

Mine was showing continuity so...`

Strange,
I had an extra 200w WON proheat that I had not installed yet. I was always under the impression that a titanium heater would act as a a ground so I checked continuity and cracked it open just to see. Sure enough the 200W Proheat recently purchased from Marine Depot has the round prong on the power plug connected directly to the titanium shell on the heater element. This heater should act nicely as a ground for the tank. Notice zero resistance between heater shell and the ground plug:
continuity.jpg

And the actual connected ground wire:
ground.jpg

Perhaps they have changed in response to the criticism, or is it more likely that their manufacturing varies from model to model?
-Z

Last edited:
Great. And I have 1800 watts of this garbage running in my sump.

Rvitko:

If these guys change their minds, let me know and I'll be your first sale. For the longest time I have been looking for a heater with no controller so I can connect it to my temp controller. That is how I run all my heaters anyway. Turn them all the way up and let the controller turn them on or off. It is more efficient at the end.

Fireplugs are no longer around because aquanetics is out of business, but it is a great concept and I am frankly surprised nobody does something similar.

dgasmd- I have asked the importer many times to get these for my shop but I don't import or have anything to do with Schemel and Goetz. Hawaiian Marine is there US agent, I would assume if something were to develop the heaters would likely be sold by the big mail order companies as well. I know I will see him at Interzoo as well as the people at Schego and I plan to discuss it.

Here's my experience with these heaters

I ordered 2 - 300W Won Pro-Heat Titanium Heaters (Not the digital ones) from a certain online vendor. I did a little test run in my garbage can I use for water storage. The first one Shocked the PIS5 out of me!!! It also heated the water up to 90+ degrees, even set on the lowest setting. The second one also heated the water up to 90+ degrees. When I would try to turn the temp down the red light wouldn't turn off, but at least it didn't shock me!! Boy am I glad I did a Test run!!!

The Vendor replaced them without a problem. I considered replacing them with a different brand, but the vendor said that the Won Pro had the highest success rate of any heater that they sold, and they sell a lot of heaters!! So I did the test run on the two replacement heaters I got. No shocks this time!!! I tested them at different times, leaving a day in between test runs for the water to cool down a little. I set them to 78 , but the water ran 82 . This happened with both heaters. At this moment the water is that exact temp (82) , and the light is on indicating the heater is on! But it does turn off when I turn the dial down. They are not precise too +/- 1 degree as advertised on the box, but they do seem to be consistant and stable.

Jut figured I would share

Crud...................... I just bought 2 100W Won brother heaters from Prem Aquatics. I'm glad I went on the low end of the watts per gallon calc cause if one melts down it hopefully wont boil my tank.

I bought a bunch for heating my rotifer tanks last fall. I think it was 8 or 9 of the 500 watt in total. Afte the first month I was down to less than half of them working adn to date none of them are functional. I did manage to return some of them to DRs Foster & Smith for credit. the lady said Ãâ€"œh, we've had no problems with them at all!". I called back a month later and was told "We no longer carry them!" . Anyways, I do have some of the controllers laying around gathering dust so I'll crack a couple and see if they have grounds. To date I have not found any non-commercial sized titanium heater worth using. They either shock the crap out of me or my co-workers or they fail and don't heat. I'll be sticking with Ebo Jager, even though I prefer the old style to the newer models.

dgasmd said:
Great. And I have 1800 watts of this garbage running in my sump.

Rvitko:

If these guys change their minds, let me know and I'll be your first sale. For the longest time I have been looking for a heater with no controller so I can connect it to my temp controller. That is how I run all my heaters anyway. Turn them all the way up and let the controller turn them on or off. It is more efficient at the end.

Fireplugs are no longer around because aquanetics is out of business, but it is a great concept and I am frankly surprised nobody does something similar.

You're not looking in the right places ;) I got tired of my crappy heaters and bought from here:

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Heaters/heaters.html

ill be buying a new heater setup from there!

thanks for the link!!!

do you think the 1000wt setup with controller and heating module to put it in will be enough for about 300 gallons of water volume? or is it overkill even?

Back