Xenia on my monti digi!

SBJim

I had some pom pom xenia grow onto an arm of monti digi. I peeled the offender off (leaving a completely bleached area on the monti), but a little bit seems to have remained, and is now growing into a new xenia stalk (or stalks, darnit).

Any suggestions as to how to eradicate the xenia without harming the monti? Do I have to amputate the poor sps' arm?

Thanks for any advice.

Just keep pealing it off. If its on a separate branch of digi, frag that branch to eradicate it.

Thanks. I made the mistake of placing the xenia on a very "nubby" and convoluted rock, and not near the top or separated from the main rockwork. I expect that this will be a routine occurence.

I do really like the xenia though: it is the favorite of most people who see my tank.

P1000010.jpg

I've noticed that my frogspawn really keeps xenia in check on the other side of my tank (different kind of xenia).

What do people think about using some other aggressive coral as a barrier to spreading xenia? What would be good candidates? I'm thinking about trying a frag of echinophyllia.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6461296#post6461296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog
Funny how most people like the "weeds" of our reefs, go figure :rolleyes:

Because it's pretty :D

I had the same problem as you. I had xenia growing near and fixing to attach to an acro and other various corals, so I bought 2- Seio 2600's :D Let me tell you they donot like the added flow I put in there!
-Chris

mine grows everywhere!! even in very high flow areas they just don't pulse there :) I love xenia but it's out of control!! The monti should come back

fulltank003.jpg

xenia.jpg

I'd say one reason people like xenia is that the pulsing makes it seem more "alive" than other corals. Most non-reefers think a lot of coral (sps and many lps in particular) is just rock. No mistaking it with xenia.

Ok, cristhiam, you are in worse (better?) shape than me. But I imagine you get great nutrient export out of it!

I've got two kinds spreading:

P1000005.jpg

The stalk on the inside upper right, having invaded a zoo frag, also grew into a purple cap. It did bleach and kill the edge of the cap. I removed that offending stalk of xenia, and I think the cap will color back up. The digi is clearly losing the battle to the pom pom: I think I will have to frag off the arm.

I have mine right next to a large Galaxea. It hasn't spread a bit in 9 months. I like it in there because of the movement, but i'm glad it doesn't spread.

This is before the xenia plague. I went in with my bare hands and peeled each xenia off. The smell of it was disgusting! Needless to say its trying to come back! How can someone like such a weed!
-Chris
IMGP0923.jpg

Back