Your Long Term Review Jebao DC Controllable Return Pump ?

I will soon be posting up my thoughts on the DCs. I have 4 DCT15000's. 2 for closed loop, 2 for returns. I am curious though how they will do with my returns. I have it going 1 1/2 out reduced to a 1" header and then to 3/4" line locs. Each return pump will feed 4 separate return line. See pic, not the best pic but it will help you get an idea. There is probably 4ft of line coming from the sump to the top of the tank where it splits off. I am hoping it doesn't lose to much flow.

Attachments

• 20160319_230348_resized.jpg
    20160319_230348_resized.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
DCT 15000 issues

DCT 15000 issues

I' ve been using a dct 15000 for about 6 weeks now and I am having issues with it already. I use it as a return on my whole system: 40b, 30l and 2 10 gallons sharing a common sump. I've been using the pump on the 4th speed. 4 times already I find it stopped and the controller blinking. It usually starts up if I unplug it for a few minutes. Until today when it starts back up fir a minute but lacks pressure and shuts down again.
Has anyone had issues like that, or does anyone know of a solution to this. I knew it won't be super long lasting pump but I hoped I would get at least a tear out of it.....

I' ve been using a dct 15000 for about 6 weeks now and I am having issues with it already. I use it as a return on my whole system: 40b, 30l and 2 10 gallons sharing a common sump. I've been using the pump on the 4th speed. 4 times already I find it stopped and the controller blinking. It usually starts up if I unplug it for a few minutes. Until today when it starts back up fir a minute but lacks pressure and shuts down again.
Has anyone had issues like that, or does anyone know of a solution to this. I knew it won't be super long lasting pump but I hoped I would get at least a tear out of it.....

That seems like a LOT of flow for your system. I also have a DCT 15000 on my system and we have it set to power level 3. My system is a 300g with 90g dump. Our pump has been running for almost a year without a single problem thus far.

Have you removed the pump and cleaned it to be sure it is free of obstructions. These pumps need to be cleaned from time to time or they can stop working like you have described.

That seems like a LOT of flow for your system. I also have a DCT 15000 on my system and we have it set to power level 3. My system is a 300g with 90g dump. Our pump has been running for almost a year without a single problem thus far.

Have you removed the pump and cleaned it to be sure it is free of obstructions. These pumps need to be cleaned from time to time or they can stop working like you have described.
The pump was working just fine. On 3d setting it was feeding 3 returns and 2 reactors as well as providing some extra flow in the sump.
Upon further inspection it looks like the impeller has seized for some reason. I took it apart and it was really tough to spin by hand. It was much harder than when it was new. I put a crap ton of lube(NSF) on the bushing that seemed to be causing the problem and that made it easier to spin. I put it back together and plugged it in to see if would even spin, and it did. Hooked it up back in the sump and no dice. Same crap again. It won't start and the controller would blink tge first 3 and last 2 lights on the power settings.....
I would like to get a new impeller just to m ake sure that's not it, but no luck so far in finding a replacement. ... If anyone knows a sours for spare parts please share.
Also worst case scenario what would be a good choice for a replacement return pump?

The pump was working just fine. On 3d setting it was feeding 3 returns and 2 reactors as well as providing some extra flow in the sump.
Upon further inspection it looks like the impeller has seized for some reason. I took it apart and it was really tough to spin by hand. It was much harder than when it was new. I put a crap ton of lube(NSF) on the bushing that seemed to be causing the problem and that made it easier to spin. I put it back together and plugged it in to see if would even spin, and it did. Hooked it up back in the sump and no dice. Same crap again. It won't start and the controller would blink tge first 3 and last 2 lights on the power settings.....
I would like to get a new impeller just to m ake sure that's not it, but no luck so far in finding a replacement. ... If anyone knows a sours for spare parts please share.
Also worst case scenario what would be a good choice for a replacement return pump?

I'm running into the same issue with a DCT 4000. Impeller is tough to spin, random shut downs, etc. When removed, if you turn the impeller in its bushing, it sounds kind of gritty. I'm currently soaking in vinegar to see if that helps.

EDIT: 20 minutes of soaking and things are looking promising. Impeller spins much more easily in it's bushing, but still catches a bit occasionally. I'm going to try soaking for longer. I suspect this might be caused by my kalk drip, which is set to drip directly into my return chamber.

Last edited:
That's a bummer. Must say that I've not had a lick of trouble with my Jebao power heads and two are 15 months old (but it's not long term). I have actually had more trouble with my vortech pumps ironically (one of them threw a prop). I'm willing to roll the dice with a power head but not with my main pump.
37.gif

39.gif
79.gif

I will soon be posting up my thoughts on the DCs. I have 4 DCT15000's. 2 for closed loop, 2 for returns. I am curious though how they will do with my returns. I have it going 1 1/2 out reduced to a 1" header and then to 3/4" line locs. Each return pump will feed 4 separate return line. See pic, not the best pic but it will help you get an idea. There is probably 4ft of line coming from the sump to the top of the tank where it splits off. I am hoping it doesn't lose to much flow.

Ever get the DCS going? Looking at picking one up...

Dc10000, running for 8 months. Speed is at 3. You can sleep next to it.

Its in 20th month now and did not clean it yet, noise increased a bit and not dead-silent anymore but nowhere near annoying, either. Performance wise, I still use led3, provides more then I need, no problems here.

I have 3 DC Jebaos:

2x DC9000's on my display. Running flawlessly for 18+ months now with no cleanings. Both original Power supplies have failed and been replaced. Recently purchased a meanwell sealed power supply that I will be wiring up to them.

1x DCT15000 on a quarantine system. Been running roughly 10 months with no cleanings and no issues. Pushes a LOT of water.

I also have several Jebao powerheads:

Roughly 8 or so RW series (some 4, some 8, some 15, some 20) that have been running flawlessly for 10+ months. No powersupply issues.

2x 3 year old WP-10's - one still running, the other siezed up and died in the first 6 months.

Setting up a 75 FOWLR, looking at a DCS 5000 for my return pump, is this a good choice or should I go with the DCS 7000. My overflow will be Herbie with a 1" siphon drain and a 1" emergency drain. The return pump will be from the sump (in stand) so about 5 feet of head height plus extra for twists and turns in the pipe.

I have the Dct 15000 on my 150g middle setting on 3 ft head t off duel returns. It's quiet and so far so good. If it runs dry it turns off in 2 min.

DC6000, 18 Months

DC6000, 18 Months

I have a DC6k, no complaints on noise. I will say it's been running on my 200 gallon fresh tank. No issues, no complaints, quiet and has even been running for close to 6 months in 85F water, I'm running it that high for discus. Works nicely.

I like it so much I bought a new one for a 180 reef.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site.
I'm glad I found this thread as I also a few jebao/jecod pumps. I have a dct 12000 works great and has been running for around 18months not one problem. The other pump is a dc2000 which powers my d500 Skimmer, fortunately this pump isn't as good. I'm on my second pump for the skimmer and this one is starting to show signs of failing and did fail when I was away for 4 days. Came back to it not working, the controller was still working but not the pump. I have got of working again but once power is cut, the pump falls to start everytime. Both pumps seem to only last 8 months then die. Fish street where kind enough to send a free pump when the first one failed. They will want me to pay for the next one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

From a cost stand point they can not be beat.

I have 10 powerheads WPs and RW.... Half have died between the 18 month and 24 months. I have found that you can get a little longer life on some that quit if you take a screw driver and keep hitting the propeller a few times... This will work for another few months.

They are still so cheap compared to the "other" competitors that it is still cheaper to have a back up then buy the other guys for 4-500.

I had an original DC-10000 run without any issues for about three years when I set up my current tank (in sump). The last month I started having problems when I turned the pump off to do water changes that the impeller would stick and had to manually get it started and then it would run. This morning I pronounced it dead. Hope the newer version of these pumps will hast another three years. For $140 shipped to my door I just purchased a DCT-15000. Really wanted to upgrade to a higher quality pump but do not have $750 to spend.

I have one of the original DC return pumps they made when they first came out and its been running for 3 years now I believe. a couple of months back it died and i bought a replacement. but after i soaked it in vinegar its back online and working like a charm. I'll keep it as a backup.

Back