Your Long Term Review Jebao DC Controllable Return Pump ?

lots of folks swear by them but they've been out less than two yours

Sure, that's because they purport to do for $ what other pumps do for $$$. And spending $$$ doesn't guarantee longevity just like spending $ doesn't guarantee a short useful life. I think most people look at things mainly just in terms of the initial purchase price, and don't really consider how many times something will need to be replaced - or they don't last long enough in the hobby to wear out even cheap equipment. I've got a few Jebao power heads at home and certainly hope they last a good long time.

Sure, that's because they purport to do for $ what other pumps do for $$$. And spending $$$ doesn't guarantee longevity just like spending $ doesn't guarantee a short useful life. I think most people look at things mainly just in terms of the initial purchase price, and don't really consider how many times something will need to be replaced - or they don't last long enough in the hobby to wear out even cheap equipment. I've got a few Jebao power heads at home and certainly hope they last a good long time.

I don't want this to degrade into one of the many "cheap Jebao vs. XXX quality" threads, but since you mentioned the powerheads I felt compelled to offer my experiences. I have now owned 3 WP-25's. #1 died within 3 months and was replaced by Fish Street (pump body only) - we'll call it #3. #2 was purchased about a month after #1. Either #2 or #3 died today - same symptoms as before which is that the pump body itself is bad. So, of 3 powerheads, 1 died in 3 months, 1 died in 12 months, and the remaining one is still going strong after 15 months or so.

Not exactly a model of longevity. As stated before, one has to take it with a grain of salt when someone says "Mine's been running strong for 4 months with no problems ... these things last forever!!"

That's a bummer. Must say that I've not had a lick of trouble with my Jebao power heads and two are 15 months old (but it's not long term). I have actually had more trouble with my vortech pumps ironically (one of them threw a prop). I'm willing to roll the dice with a power head but not with my main pump.

I do not know Jaebo but my original Waveline DC 10000 lasted about 15 months.
The 2nd generation DC 12000 was the backup.
It had SERIOUS flow problems, wound up with a new motor block @ n/c.
It has been running for about a year now.
A Laguna pond pump sits on the shelf as a back up.

I do not know Jaebo but my original Waveline DC 10000 lasted about 15 months.
The 2nd generation DC 12000 was the backup.
It had SERIOUS flow problems, wound up with a new motor block @ n/c.
It has been running for about a year now.
A Laguna pond pump sits on the shelf as a back up.

So how does this help determine if jabaos are worth the investment long term?

It all depends if your willing to branch off to something new. I have a dc6000 that's running my skimmer etss600 but plan on buying a 12000 to plumb both my returns and the skimmer as one. Currently pumps ran externally and I love it has a little hum to it but it's way better than the little giant pump noise I had going on.

I am not trying to attack anyone but I am so tired of all these "dead silent" claims on pumps that are anything but. I have had 8 of those DC pumps. The bigger the pump and the higher the speed, the more noise it makes. The only difference between those Jebao DC pumps and my eventual Fluval SP6 is that DC pumps emit this very high pitch whine not unlike a hybrid car running at low speed. The higher the speed, the higher the pitch. The AC pumps on the other hand, has a low vibration hum.

If your Jebao is dead silent, more power to you- either you have a miracle pump or you are generous about your noise level. I repeat- nothing is dead silent if it has moving parts. I had to replace my Jebao's due to noise reason alone. Now it's my water changing pump.

I am not trying to attack anyone but I am so tired of all these "dead silent" claims on pumps that are anything but. I have had 8 of those DC pumps. The bigger the pump and the higher the speed, the more noise it makes. The only difference between those Jebao DC pumps and my eventual Fluval SP6 is that DC pumps emit this very high pitch whine not unlike a hybrid car running at low speed. The higher the speed, the higher the pitch. The AC pumps on the other hand, has a low vibration hum.

If your Jebao is dead silent, more power to you- either you have a miracle pump or you are generous about your noise level. I repeat- nothing is dead silent if it has moving parts. I had to replace my Jebao's due to noise reason alone. Now it's my water changing pump.

To each his own, I suppose. I notice you've been a member of this site for about 6 months, so not sure how long you've been into reefkeeping, or how it is that you've already had 8 DC pumps that have only been out about half that many years, or why it would be that other people's positive experiences seem to have ruffled your feathers so much.

I've had probably 10 or more return pumps in the 20+ years in this hobby, and by far the DC pumps are quietest I've had. Maybe some are close to being as quiet, but I can't think of a single pump that has been quieter than my current DC-6000, or the previous Speedwave 3000. I do hear a slight whine from my DC-6000 at full speed, but given that I run it at 4 of 6 speeds, I can't even tell it's running without opening the cabinet and looking at the flow through the sump to confirm.

Again, your mileage may vary.

I've only had one, but I think you nailed it :celeb1:

exactly as you say, the faster it goes the louder and higher pitch the whine..

I still like the fact that it uses half the electricity of the pump it replaced and seems to put out as much water pressure too! also like the way it shuts down for feeding purposes much nicer than a ac pump.

Just got my dct 6000 going great pump, super quiet, moves a rediculus amt of water, relatively small , looks like a keeper for a while,
It's on a 40 g with a 20 g sump
A bit overkill but will be in use on my next set Up

While I can't comment on longevity I can say that I am very happy with my DC3000 after just a few months use. Over the 20+ years I've kept SW tanks this pump is the quietest I've owned yet. Yes, there is a slight hum, but its not anything that is noticeable especially after the cabinet door is closed. I'm also happy with the small size, ability to easily control the flow and the gentle start when restarting the pump. In the past I've always found the pumps ratings to be very overstated and always bought a pump larger than recommend by the manufacturer to get the flow rate I really wanted. This pump seems to actually pump close to the volume stated. The DC3000 is kind of overkill for my 75 and I have to keep it dialed down to about 30%.

As discussed, the true test will be how it performs over time and it sounds like experiences still vary a lot but given the low price I'll be quite happy if this pump performs well for even 4-5 years. Definitely better from the jump than any of the other pumps I've used over the years.

I just put my new Jebao 4000 DTC out!!, running for 14 days and still have a high whine thats is verry annoying.
Been a refer for over 40 years so i have had a few ;-) back with the old Eheim.

Great discussion guys.

I'm setting up a 125g mixed reef, what size Jebao return pump would you suggest, and why ?

I run the dc6000 on a 75g and run it at it's highest level. I have over 5 ft of head pressure. I think your choice depends on the head pressure you have but if it were me I wouldn't do less than the 12000....you can always go bigger and turn it down but if it's not enough on high...then you're screwed....

I think it has something to to with the head pressure. The more the head pressure, the more the high pitched motor sound which is only slightly audible but still comparatively less than my vortechs. I have been using the Jebao 12000 for a year + with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Back