ZB's "H. Mag" Thread - Pics

Stay the course and continue to treat him. He looks a lot better IMO.
There is many ways to oriented the PH to get less flow. I often point it up to the surface. This will increase O2 of the water and effectively cause the water motion to be more laminar and more random

Update: Day 3 of HT/Cipro treatment is coming to an end. The pic below is about what it looked like for the entire day. Trying to stay the course and continue the 7 day treatment, it's just difficult when it seems to so "sad", with little to no inflation. It did spit out a little more "gray matter speckled with black spots".

Also posting a couple pics of my HT setup.

Thanks,
ZB

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
I actually think it is doing pretty good. Looking at the picture when you decided to treat and the current picture, I do see significant improvement. Best of luck

Thanks for everyone's positivity, it helps me think good thoughts. I will report that during the water change tonight the Nem was very responsive, and inflated a fair bit when the new water was added, compared to earlier in the day. I'll continue to think happy thoughts, and post updates.

~ZB

Do keep the course. Stay patient. Like Minh said, keep in HT for at least 7 Days. Water chages are ur friend. Add cipro after every change, even if its done in the morn. If you notice deflation, change the water immediately. I had to do two almost everyday of treatment. Once at lights on (8 am) and one at lights out (8 pm). Minh says when the nem deflates, its purging all the bad juices. I believe this is spot on. When Mine would shrink down, I did a 100% WC and it would perk right back up.

Day 4 of HT treatment with Cipro.

Pic 1 - this morning after lights on (9:50 am), before I went out for the day
Pic 2 - Upon return home (4:30 pm), not looking to happy, there was a little bit of "spit up" floating in the tank. I immediately did a full water change and added new Cipro
Pic 3 - 8:30 pm (Lights dimming, go full dark at 8:45), looking happier
Pic 4 - After Lights are fully out, looking a little more happy.

Based on last night, and the shots late tonight and after dark, I'm starting to wonder if my light is too much for the Nem in its current state. It seems to always inflate more and appear "happier" when the lights are out. I'm wondering if I should try reducing it's light exposure some while in HT. Anyone else have thoughts? Should I hold the course, reduce the number of hours the light is on, or reduce the intensity of the lights, but keep them on the same number of hours.

Thanks for the continued support, ZB

Attachments

• IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
Scratch the light theory, it didn't stay inflated very long in the darkness. I think the next variable I might try is changing the water with fresh salt water, not DT water. I'm wondering if there is something in the DT water "angering" the Nem.

Any friends with successful H. Mags care to share your water parameters?

My tank temp is at 81 degree F, Salinity is a 35 ppt, Nitrate is at 0, Ca is about 400, Alkalinity 4.0 and Mg 1360. I do not check anything else.

No major updates to report today. I only observed a few minutes of total inflation today. I did do a water change with fresh made water (instant ocean salt) instead of using DT water, that seemed to make no difference. Continuing the 7 day Cipro treatment, but losing optimism, with such little inflation throughout the day. I'll let ya'll know if something crazy happens.

Should I be preparing supplies to continue different treatment after the Cipro?

Cheers, ZB

Yes, LA is Live Aquaria.

Sorry for the delay, work got in the way. Attached are some pics. Cipro treatment ended Sunday. Routine has been roughly a 100% water change per day.

Pic 1: Sunday around 5pm
Pic 2: Monday around 4pm (did 100% water change with Instant Ocean Salt)
Pic 3: Monday around 7pm
Note: it did seem to inflate pretty nicely after lights out.
Pic 4: Today around 6:45pm (did a 50% water change around 3:45)

It seems to be happiest just after lights out, which is weird to me. My trigger for water changes is cloudier water and little black balls rolling around the bottom of the tank. I have yet to see an entire day with the Nem fully inflated. I'm starting to wonder if its upset because it's in such an unnatural environment, or the water is too fresh, or what?? If my lights were to low, wouldn't it be inflating and climbing higher in the tank?

Kind of at a loss, it seems to just be existing, not dying, not thriving.

Cheers,
ZB

Attachments

• Sunday.JPG
    Sunday.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Yesterday4.JPG
    Yesterday4.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Yesterday7.JPG
    Yesterday7.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Today.JPG
    Today.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
I'll go back to DT water and see if that changes things. Any thoughts on the nocturnal "happiness"? How long should I keep it in the HT?

I would switch antibiotics and keep the lights out more. When you turn on the lights, run them low. When the mouth is gaping like that, low level or no light for a while. If you use DT water, make sure your Phosphates and Nitrates are low. Good luck.

New developments today:

1) it's the most inflated I've seen it, and for an extended period of time!

2) it's emitting "smoke" into the water column. Is this spawning? Good or Bad?

Also, checked the Ammonia as I did not want to do a water change and disturb its "good day", but ammonia is detectable. I assume I do the water change no questions asked. I have Prime available.

ZB

Smoke that you describe is probably spawning. Not always a good thing. Sometimes it is stress spawning though. That will make the ammonia rise.

Lower your lighting intensity....shade the anemone with two layers of window screen if you cannot reduce the intensity of the light itself.

IME, this anemone is trying to live. It's still attached to the cup and it's inflating at night.

I realize it was suggested not to feed it, but at this stage, I would see if it is able to take a single mysis shrimp. See if it's got any feeding response, and see if it will digest the single mysis shrimp and not regurgitate it.

I state this having brought back two H.magnifica's who looked worse than yours. I'd completely written one off entirely, and it rebounded completely. But it took ALOT of care.

I would keep up with water changes, dosing the anti biotics as scheduled, (if still in the course of treatment), and reduce the lighting intensity. Try feeding a single mysis shrimp and see if the anemone can keep it down.

Things turning positive!!!

Things turning positive!!!

7 days of Cipro ended on Sunday 2/22;

Todays update. Things continue to improve, and the Nem has been inflated (whenever I observe) for over 24 hours now. Very nice turnaround!!!! Biggest issue now is maintaining proper water levels (Ammonia is detectable in less than 24 hours). Barring a turn for the worse, I think I would like to transfer the Nem to the DT tomorrow, unless anyone has major concerns. The HT is not cycled, and even 24 hours water changes can not keep up with Ammonia right now.

Pic 1: Yesterday (2/25) around 3:30 PM
Pic 2: Yesterday (2/25) around 5:45 PM
Pic 3 & 4: Today around 12:30 PM
Pic 5: Today around 5:30 PM

Please advise on Transferring, or any other concerns. Is it best to transfer at night in the dark, and let it wake up in the new environment, or transfer in the morning with a full light period in front of it.

Cheers, and thanks for everyones continued support. ZB

Attachments

• 2-25 330.JPG
    2-25 330.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-25 545.JPG
    2-25 545.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-26 1220.jpg
    2-26 1220.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2-26 1221.jpg