ZB's "H. Mag" Thread - Pics

If you are home this weekend, I would move him over this weekend. Consider treat him for a few days more if he only inflate continuously last 24 hrs. I treated until mine inflates for At least 3 days

Moving Day

Moving Day

I waited another 24 hours of full inflation in the HT before transferring. Today was the day, and things have gone smoothly thus far. The Nem didn't change inflation much at all really from the HT to the DT. Now I have to figure out how to encourage it to let go of the ceramic cup, and for my clowns to follow their instincts.

Pic 1: Last shot in the HT.
Pic 2-5: Shots in the DT (Right now just clowns, goby, snails, and live rock. Corals are in QT).

Let me know any thoughts, comments, concerns, questions.

Thanks everyone for the help over the passed couple weeks. Much appreciated.

Cheers, ZB

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
The Mag is doing great in the DT. It is now climbing towards the top of the cup, not off onto the rocks. Should I take the opportunity to peal it off while it has loosened its foot for "walking", or just wait til it's on top of the cup, then re-position the cup lower in the tank, and hope it climbs off?

Thanks ZB

The Mag is doing great in the DT. It is now climbing towards the top of the cup, not off onto the rocks. Should I take the opportunity to peal it off while it has loosened its foot for "walking", or just wait til it's on top of the cup, then re-position the cup lower in the tank, and hope it climbs off?

Thanks ZB

It depends if you're patient, or impatient like me. It's best to let it do its own moving, but if you have some rubber gloves handy, and can slowly and carefully remove it from the cup, you can reposition it yourself. Turn off the pumps until it has time to attach.

Also, if the mag can "feel" the wall, if will try to climb up. I recommend creating a pedestal by which the mag can be towards the top of the tank without being able to touch the tank sides.

That helps, I can be patient, and will let it find its place on its own. I'll also work to figure out a pedestal to isolate it on.

Thanks, ZB

The Anemone continues to do well. Haven't seen it deflated since entering the DT. Now I need it to walk off the cup it lived on in HT. It did climb to the top of the cup, but stalled there. I moved the cup lower in the tank, almost level with a shelf I'd like it to climb onto, but it hasn't moved at all. I think it's happy, which is great, just don't love the ceramic cup it calls home.

Can mags move pretty far in a single day, or does it take weeks, or what? I'd like to avoid manually peeling it from the ceramic if possible, but don't know if it will ever leave on its own.

Cheers, ZB

One thing you can try is to shade the mug in such a way that for the mag to get more light it will have to move onto the rock. I used this approach to get a prior wanderer back onto the non-vortech end of my tank.

Here are some pics of the Nem on the cup, near the shelf I'd like it to climb on to. Is that too far of a "leap" for it to make? I like the idea of creating shade, while leaving the shelf in the bright light so it is attracted to that area. Any other thoughts or comments?

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2934.JPG
    IMG_2934.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
I would turn the cup sideway with the anemone trap between the rock and the cup. He will climb out of the crevice and likely climb on to the rock rather than the cup since the rock is higher

The Nem finally left the cup, Woot woot......it hasn't been happy since. Very "sucked in", mouth pushed out, moved to a shady side of the rock. Do they sometimes get upset about the rough rock instead of the smooth ceramic, or am I giving these creatures too much emotional credit :confused:. I'll try and post some pictures soon, but wanted to start getting thoughts.

It's been about 4 days. I did a 10% water change last night.

I think you're giving it too much emotional credit.

I've had one specific H.magnifica for 9 years now,(March 2006) the second I've had for 3.5 years, (Nov 2011), and the third I've only had for not quite a year yet.

These animals really need their requirements met. They whether or not that happens on the bottom of a coffee mug or the top of a rock in your reef probably doesnt matter much. I've seen a preference to a certain rock over another in similar spots with similar conditions, but I dont know the specific reasons for that. Does one rock "feel" better than the other? Or were the environmental conditions of the one different than the other?

Tough to say with certainty.

The anemone will find the best spots for itself. Just take care to ensure that its not injured as it searches for the "perfect" spot.

Ok thanks. It has become very mobile in the last 24 hours, so I will continue to monitor and provide the best quality water I can.

Back