ZB's "H. Mag" Thread - Pics

Zbreefer

Hello Reefing friends. Today is a big day, my H. Mag was delivered today from LA around 11am. I'll use this thread to share pics as things develop. Please feel free to leave any helpful comments, I'm here to learn as much as share. I have to break the images up into a few posts, so bear with me.

Also, here are some details of the process so far:
- I floated the bag for 30 minutes upon arrival.
- After that I drip acclimated for about 1 hour, until the salinity in the bag matched my QT.
- Took the Nem out of the bag and examined it in a small dish. Everything looked pretty good.
-I attached a shot of the contents of the bag water after the Nem was removed.
-The only light in the room early on was ambient light from the DT LED's. After 4 hours, I turned the room ceiling lights on to add a little more light.

**I plan to turn my QT LED's on around 7:30pm to give the Nem about an hour with the LED's while they phase into Night mode.

Again any helpful comments are appreciated, both on my process and the condition of the Nem.

Thanks, ZB

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
More pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2657.jpg
    IMG_2657.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2664.jpg
    IMG_2664.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
More pics 2.0

Attachments

• IMG_2675.jpg
    IMG_2675.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2681.JPG
    IMG_2681.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
Looks like it expelled a lot of zoox while in transit. It doesn't appear to have deflated, so that's good. I assume you have Cipro or Septra on hand?

Update: the anemone really expanded today, almost double the diameter of the first day. This was also it's first full day with the LED lights. It seemed to move its foot around, but only a very little, positioning itself on the bottom of the tank, partially leaning against my ceramic cup. About 8 PM today it expelled more "tar" colored substance, somewhat stringy. Is this Zoo or "poop" from its last meal. It reduced in size as well after doing this.

Is this the start of the inflate/deflate cycle, or just a normal routine as the light starts to dim for night?

I don't have Cip on hand, but my father in law is a Dr. And I can get it ASAP. I do have all the "fixins" for a HT if necessary.

Thanks for all the help, ZB

Since it is purging some junk from it, you will see it really inflate. This is getting the new water to all of the locations and flushing it out. Since it is mixing with existing water it takes a few "breaths" to accomplish this.

With the lights going down it will inflate some to get all of its tentacles to soak the last bit of sunlight (fake tank light) as it can. Kinda like a flower swaying and following the sun as it goes through the day. Our sun is normally directly above the tank though.

Any new pictures? (I ask this often to help people see a trend or something different from a few days prior, that they might have missed)

Day 3 Update (Day 1 Delivered 11 am, Day 2, Day 3 "Today")

Pic 1 - 9:22 AM - Somewhat "closed up", but seems content
Pic 2&3 - 2:01 PM - Much more opened up, and sprawled out, seems very happy
Pic 4&5 - 4:18 PM - Still looks happy, but looking for comments on the mouth. Not sure whether that looks normal, or still a little open.

Let me know any other thoughts or comments you all have. Again, I'm here as much to learn as to share.

Thanks, ZB

Attachments

• IMG_2739.JPG
    IMG_2739.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2748.jpg
    IMG_2748.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2751.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
I use Photobucket as well, and they provide a ton of free space.

The nem looks like it'll be fine. I typically worry more about deflating than I do about an open mouth. All of my nems do it from time to time, including my magnifica.

Nem looks good again this morning. I believe it's habit is to greatly retract at night and expand again when the lights come on. It does not seem to deflate/inflate through out the day, just with the changing light. I'm taking that as normal, and that it's good and healthy. I will continue to monitor for any changes in behavior/condition.

That being said, when should I try feeding it, and what do you recommend? Have raw shrimp that I could mince into pieces, or frozen Mysis shrimp. I don't believe it NEEDS solid food, but I want to "fatten" it up a little before transferring to the DT where the clowns may start loving on it pretty quickly. Any guidance?

Thanks, ZB

With that size it looks like it will be able to handle its new inhabitants.

In case it is still acclimating I would NOT feed it for a few weeks. As it takes more energy to digest food, it would be easier to let it soak in the rays for a bit longer before feeding it.

Ok, keep it simple, I like that.

How long should I keep it in QT if it continues to stay happy? Also, what's the best way to have it release from the bottom of the QT when transfer day comes?

New Developments today (Day 4). All was going well until about 6:15 PM today when it completely deflated. The first pic is what he looked like most of the day, the second is the current condition. I tested water earlier this afternoon, and Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate returned 0. PH was 8.2, temp is 79F, and hasn't changed since it arrived. Salinity is 1.023 and has remained constant as well.

Should I continue to monitor, or is it time to start prepping the HT and get the Meds from the pharmacy?

Thanks, ZB

Attachments

• IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
2/17/15 Update

2/17/15 Update

After the 1st pic, quickly turned into the 2nd pic, I quickly moved the Nem from my QT to the HT (10g, 425 gph PH, heater) and dosed 250 mg of Cipro at 10 pm. Pic 3 and 4 are what Day 1 in the HT consisted of. That night I did a 99% water change (used tank water for the new water) and dosed 250mg more of Cipro. It did "spit out" some clearish/gray matter that broke loose during the water change, which I removed. The Nem seemed to inflate right up with the new water, but by morning it was back to looking like the pics. Day 2 in HT has not gone much differently than Day 1 went. Just did 99% water change again, and dosed Cipro again. My plan is to continue this pattern for 7 days. Hopefully Day 3 is better than today.

Looking for advice on anything to change up.

Also, I am wondering if that PH might be too much flow for the 10g. I turned the nem so that my ceramic cup was breaking the flow and the nem was tucked behind it. It can extend out into the flow if it chooses.

Thanks, ZB

Attachments

• IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2811.jpg
    IMG_2811.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2813.jpg