1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

spent the afternoon removing the fish- fishing them out. Water parameters are stable but I feel an ammonia spike coming. Doing a big water change now and hoping things are stable.

Good news is I've lost none of my prized angels or the larger tangs.

No copper- I was in panic- ill treat the tank with the suggestions above, do a water change, feed them well and hopefully no more dead fish

That is good news. Where are the fish that you removed going? If they are going into quarantine you can treat them there.

spent the afternoon removing the fish- fishing them out. Water parameters are stable but I feel an ammonia spike coming. Doing a big water change now and hoping things are stable.

Good news is I've lost none of my prized angels or the larger tangs.

No copper- I was in panic- ill treat the tank with the suggestions above, do a water change, feed them well and hopefully no more dead fish

You should consider hiring an aquarium service company to maintain your tank until it stabilizes. Seems like you are struggling with the tank. Other option is to get a local reefer who is willing to help you.

GL>>>>

You should consider hiring an aquarium service company to maintain your tank until it stabilizes. Seems like you are struggling with the tank. Other option is to get a local reefer who is willing to help you.

GL>>>>

Ive had plenty of help and consultants and local fish guys help out with my build.

I managed to build a 1000 gallon system from scratch and had one issue with heat where my exhaust fan blew out and the tank temp rose and now a bout of disease. Its been a year with really not to many other issues.

Im far from perfect but Im not sure Im struggling either.

Thanks for the input regardless.

I have had ick outbreaks before and choose to let it ride without treatment for several reasons. With good care of the fish and good water quality, I only lost a few fish at the first outbreak, and the rest were fine. Saw flare ups here and there, but no deaths.

Sucks to hear about the Ich. Best option IMO is to just not buy any tangs anymore. Now that Ich is confirmed to be in the system it is very likely that any time you try to add another Ich prone fish it will get it. Really with a tank that size it is almost impossible to eradicate once it's in the system, unless you are willing to remove every fish, treat them, and leave the tank empty for 3 months. Not very practical. More than likely your well established fish that are not an Ich prone fish will be fine.

I am sorry to hear about the losses. It sucks to lose 1 fish let alone 8. Hopefully it is under control. Good luck!

I had good luck with prazipro in my reef tank, followed the instructions and did two treatments with good success, but yea my 60ish gallons compared to 1000 is a whole different ball game.

For a tank of this size dosing will require you to dose A LOT. If your mind is set on dosing you better get a heavy duty dosing pump because its going to be running almost 24/7 to dose the amount this tank requires once it matures.

May I ask why you don't want a calcium reactor?

I have to disagree, I have a larger tsv and dose two part with dosing pumps. 1 gallon for alk lasts me 1.5 weeks, calcium lasts me 2.5 weeks. Mag is replenished with weekly 10% water changes.

My parameters are spot on , I have a mixed reef with about 50% sps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats

Congrats

Glad to have you back in the hobby and doing well at it! We all make mistakes along the way, but the ability to learn from them is priceless. I myself built a fish room in the garage, quite an adventure I must say! I no longer have that setup, or house for that matter, but I'm still able to partake in the joys of large saltwater aquariums through others. Congratulations on the home, the build, and your success thus far! I hope to see the tank someday in person as I'm in Scottsdale at least once per week. I also have lots of Apex programming that I could share with you to make life easier, just shoot me a PM...I'll bring the Glenfarclas :)

You sound like the ich is under control. I only add acclimated fish when the lights are going off so they can find hiding places without harassment from other tank mates. Feed with mysis and brine soaked with garlic and selcon. When ich is present, turn off lights and turn on when feeding. Keep lights off so fish aren't stressed by tank mates. Remove losses. The stress off fish removal will certainly kill susceptible fish. Been there done that...it sucks for sure.

I am sorry to hear about the losses. It sucks to lose 1 fish let alone 8. Hopefully it is under control. Good luck!

Thank you. It appears to be under control for now. Im taking measures so that this never happens again.

I had good luck with prazipro in my reef tank, followed the instructions and did two treatments with good success, but yea my 60ish gallons compared to 1000 is a whole different ball game.

Thanks for the info.

Glad to have you back in the hobby and doing well at it! We all make mistakes along the way, but the ability to learn from them is priceless. I myself built a fish room in the garage, quite an adventure I must say! I no longer have that setup, or house for that matter, but I'm still able to partake in the joys of large saltwater aquariums through others. Congratulations on the home, the build, and your success thus far! I hope to see the tank someday in person as I'm in Scottsdale at least once per week. I also have lots of Apex programming that I could share with you to make life easier, just shoot me a PM...I'll bring the Glenfarclas :)

PM me- might be able to set up a visit in exchange for some apex help. :)

You sound like the ich is under control. I only add acclimated fish when the lights are going off so they can find hiding places without harassment from other tank mates. Feed with mysis and brine soaked with garlic and selcon. When ich is present, turn off lights and turn on when feeding. Keep lights off so fish aren't stressed by tank mates. Remove losses. The stress off fish removal will certainly kill susceptible fish. Been there done that...it sucks for sure.

I've been feeding garlic and selcon for close to a year. adding fish has not been a problem till now. but like I stated, hopefully its under control.

This question is going to come up- I don't have a quarantine tank. I was only buying fish from one source who quarantines everything. However 2 months ago I made the mistake of buying something spur of the moment from another store who had the fish for 4 months.

Lesson learned so please don't rub it in my face. I will set up quarantine but not sure what to do right now. I'm at a loss.

Unless you do it yourself, you never know TBH...

Just think how crazy is your source going to be about QT?

I wash my hands and let them dry religiously when I put my hands anywhere near my QT tanks. All it takes is the smallest drop of water going from one QT tank to another to restart the clock. I don't see any store/vendor being so anal about QT.

To go a step further, I also QT all coral and inverts in a fishless frag tank for 72 days before they hit the display. Remember anything wet can bring in ich...

So far 2.5 years no ich (knock on wood) with various tangs (Gem, Black, Yellow, Chevron). Adding 5 more after they go into QT (Prazi/Paraguard and then Cupramine) for at least 50 days.

Dude- you weren't supposed to rub it in my face! ��

Food for thought going forward man :p

I have my fair share of disasters as well...

One of my favorite fish (6"!!! Flame Wrasse) jumped on top of a huge acclimation box I made for the Gem Tang (Will need to be in there until other tangs are out of QT) and got stuck right under a Kessil. Needless to say he was dead when I found him. Had to build a border around the whole box to keep jumpers out...

Also try keeping coral in a fishless tank for 72 days... I know 1/2 of what I buy will just die from lack of nutrients... so is the game... I have some irreplaceable fish that I can't chance ich getting into the display...

Back