1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

So you do not have any more empty conduits/pipes from the tank to the sump room to give you a cable route for an Apex module? I thought/figured you would have extra pipes going to and from...

I did that to my fish room, the other way around just used a USB extension cable (2), from Neptunes, but think his distance is rather far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can add a chiller controller with a temp probe to plug your fan into. temp goes up and chiller controller kicks the fan on. I do maintenance on a tank with that type of setup. it works great

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

But is the temp control from the water or ambient air? If water- then whats the cost of this device?

Yeah, high uptake usually means corals starting to grow, somehow in my tanks it was mg first before calcium uptake started to increase.

Bring it by dosing back to normal levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im dialing in my dosing. Right now at 220 ml a day of alk and cal. Dosing mag as needed. Going to check parameters twice a week to dial everything in and get it stable.

So you do not have any more empty conduits/pipes from the tank to the sump room to give you a cable route for an Apex module? I thought/figured you would have extra pipes going to and from...

I do. Its about 70 feet but I don't have a way to get from the top of the tank to the bottom. Only solution is an apex jr at the tank itself but right now- water temp is 79.9 and stable- so gonna leave it alone for a while and dial in my parameters.

I couldn't find the product you are referring to but is it controlled by water temp or ambient temp?
It is water temp controlled. Although it probably would also work with air temp. Just look for tunze temperature control. Any tunze distributor should have this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

So it looks like there are several different options for temperature controlled power outlets- The tunze referenced above as well as this one by American marine.

http://www.aquacave.com/pinpoint-temperature-controller-by-american-marine.html

But these are like 200 bucks and Im just wondering if its not better to put an Apex junior up there for 250 bucks and have the ability to control a few other things in addition to the fans.

Regardless- good to know these options exist. My temp has been stable between 79.8 and 80.1 so Ill leave it alone right now. My next project is to get my water parameters ideal first and then Ill worry about the fans and cooling and automating it a bit more.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

But is the temp control from the water or ambient air? If water- then whats the cost of this device?

Im dialing in my dosing. Right now at 220 ml a day of alk and cal. Dosing mag as needed. Going to check parameters twice a week to dial everything in and get it stable.

I do. Its about 70 feet but I don't have a way to get from the top of the tank to the bottom. Only solution is an apex jr at the tank itself but right now- water temp is 79.9 and stable- so gonna leave it alone for a while and dial in my parameters.
you can pick up a Ranco controller for about $50. probe measures water temp.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

How accurate is the BRS calculator? It's telling me some really high numbers for dosing...9 liters of calcium? 6 liters of magnesium? Is this correct?

How accurate is the BRS calculator? It's telling me some really high numbers for dosing...9 liters of calcium? 6 liters of magnesium? Is this correct?

What is your total system volume and what is the current level of the parameters you want to bring up and to what number do you want to bring them up to.

If you have 1000 gallons and alk is at 7 and you want to bring it to 8 you need to dose 2000ml or 2 Liters

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 9.41.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 9.41.38 PM.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
Calcium is 390- trying to get to 420
Dkh is 7.8 trying to get to 9
Magnesium 1040- trying to get to 1300

Total volume is 900 gallons +\-

We have been down this road. I'm not interested in a reactor. I'm dosing 2 part.

For a tank of this size dosing will require you to dose A LOT. If your mind is set on dosing you better get a heavy duty dosing pump because its going to be running almost 24/7 to dose the amount this tank requires once it matures.

May I ask why you don't want a calcium reactor?

Calcium is 390- trying to get to 420
Dkh is 7.8 trying to get to 9
Magnesium 1040- trying to get to 1300

Total volume is 900 gallons +\-

I am actually not dosing Magnesium anymore because I switched salt to RED SEA PRO and my mag is at 1500 and refuses to come down!
You might want to consider that mix...also very high in Calcium

For a tank of this size dosing will require you to dose A LOT. If your mind is set on dosing you better get a heavy duty dosing pump because its going to be running almost 24/7 to dose the amount this tank requires once it matures.

May I ask why you don't want a calcium reactor?

Wouldn't this all be depending the types of corals he will be doing? IIRC this tank started out as a FOWL and transformed into a reef. I am not sure if socaltoaz plans on running "full SPS" mode to generate the type of dosing consumption you are referring too. I had a 700g coral growing setup with mainly lps, zoas and a few sps and with regular waterchanges using RC the dosing wasnt even bad at all. I expected much more. Different setups require different stuff though so who knows, just my 2 cents.

With the Genesis Renew AWC system I think socaltoaz is actually way ahead of the game. All he needs to really do is crank up the water changes and those parameters will come into place.

It's pretty good. Care in dosing is important. Dose slowly over days or weeks is best. Instant gratification to achieve numbers can be detrimental. Too high a concentration of alk could shock coral. Dosing slowly and in a high flow area is best. Brs says not more than 1 dkh per day. 0.5 dkh per day increase is safer. You won't be sps heavy so go slow.

Back to the original question. How accurate is the BRS calculator?

I have found it to be pretty spot on for my systems.

If your alk is already in the upper 7's just let it be. That's natural sea water levels. You'll just need your Mg up to around 1350 or 1400 (my preference) and get your Ca to about 430. I wouldn't mess with Alk any more.

Back