1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

SoCal, sounds like you have the temp issue worked out with exhaust fans? On a side note, I have noticed between my UV and the Vectra L1 that runs it my temp increases 1-1.3 degrees also. Don't blame you for not going the chiller route, that and the mini split system weren't something I was looking forward to adding. Last resort really after all other options have been exhausted!

Temp is stable. Honestly I was running blind till I got my apex. Sure I had my little hang on thermometer but I couldn't react fast enough when temps hit 120 here. I know I know- should have got apex from the get go.

Yes- my uv raises temp about .5 degree. Right now I'm running it at night only- 12 hours a day.

I'll grab an updated video/photo this weekend. Am picking up a few pieces of coral this weekend to replace the ones I lost in the heat wave. Tank temp fluctuates between 80.6 and 81.4 the last week. If I leave my fans on longer I can get it to drop more but I trying to time the fans with my lighting to see where everything sits.

Bro if you have a spare outlet on your apex, it's super easy to use closed loop feedback to only run your fan when the temperature level calls for it. There's a template already in fusion for a chiller that works exactly the same for a fan.. You should give it a try
27ab11eebc48b88d2818ecbb51a3c52f.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only problem is my apex is in my fish room and my fish room is 70 feet from the tank. Only way to control fan with Apex is to set up a second apex unit at the tank to control fans, lights and power heads. Right now fans are on a timer with my home automation system. Lights are controlled by reedlink. I have 6 Radions.

Don't think the thought of setting up a second apex has t crossed my mind. For now though I'm just leaving fans on with a timer.

I read that there's a long extension aqua bus cable that you can put an extension power bus controlled via the apex in your fish room. Should monitor tank temp with apex, too

I read that there's a long extension aqua bus cable that you can put an extension power bus controlled via the apex in your fish room. Should monitor tank temp with apex, too

Yeah and then there is the issue of getting from below the tank to above it without words showing.

Trust me- this is why it took me forever to get Apex hooked up because we screwed up in the beginning and didn't plan for this.

It's either 2 systems or I wait till they have wireless connections which I do t see why they can't make. Should t be too difficult. Till then- fans are controlled via timer with my control 4 and not dependent on water temp. Not ideal but it is what it is with my system.

How about something like this above your diplay tank: https://www.tunze.com/US/en/catalogue/katalog-ii.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter033

It will turn on the fans if the temp raises too much. There are other solutions out there. Jsut the one I know.

Another solution could be over a smart home appliance. No experience there but in theory it should be doable with the right things, plugged a the right spot and a good ITTT rule. But Iguess this is over engineering a simple problem ;)

How about something like this above your diplay tank: https://www.tunze.com/US/en/catalogue/katalog-ii.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter033

It will turn on the fans if the temp raises too much. There are other solutions out there. Jsut the one I know.

Another solution could be over a smart home appliance. No experience there but in theory it should be doable with the right things, plugged a the right spot and a good ITTT rule. But Iguess this is over engineering a simple problem ;)

Your link just took me to a catalog page. What was the specific product you were recommending?

Right now I have a fan in the hood along with my exhaust fan that was finally connected. I think there is an issue with the exhaust so the electrician is going to come out and verify all is good. Im also going to have them mount a couple of small fans in the wall of the hood so its clean and those will be hooked up to my Control 4. I will have that and the exhaust fan run with the lights. I can put them on a timer.

the only thing Im missing is the ability to turn the fans and exhaust on based on temperature. I could easily do that if I had an apex up there and plug in the fans and exhaust into the apex and set it to go on with the temperature but for now- ill use what I have with the Control 4. I can manually monitor the temp on my dashboard and if needed, manually turn the fans on and off.

Placement doesn't matter...in a few months they'll be everywhere!

Good. I bought them from the store thinking they were massive and when I put them in the tank, they are puny. I have a lot of volume to fill in the tank!

I just saw on BRS that a Apex junior with 4 outlets is just $239. It has a temperature probe. I could set this up as a separate apex system - stand alone - just to control the fans in the hood. If tank temp gets too hot, turn on the fans.

Dang- should have just done this instead of buying the extra control 4 modules for 300 bucks. oh well- live and learn. Will plan on this for a future project possibly.

Let me get through the summer and see how the tank temps stabilize in the fall and winter before making this change.

I was trying to link to the Temperature controller set °C
(7028/3)

I'm sure there is a °F version. It is simple and does the same as your solution with the apex Junior, just a little bit simpler. But almost the same price, so not sure what is more reliable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Trying to get my parameters dialed in.

Mag- 1040- too low.
Calcium - 400- a bit too low
Alk- 7.8. A bit too low

Everything for some reason is a bit low. I'm dialing in my dosing to get the numbers up. Will check every few days to dial it in

Alk is fine ;) in my book! High mg uptake in a newer tank is a very good sign in my experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well- glad you think it's ok. I'm gonna retake numbers in a few days and see what comes up. I'll supplement and dose as needed?

you can add a chiller controller with a temp probe to plug your fan into. temp goes up and chiller controller kicks the fan on. I do maintenance on a tank with that type of setup. it works great

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Well- glad you think it's ok. I'm gonna retake numbers in a few days and see what comes up. I'll supplement and dose as needed?

Yeah, high uptake usually means corals starting to grow, somehow in my tanks it was mg first before calcium uptake started to increase.

Bring it by dosing back to normal levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you do not have any more empty conduits/pipes from the tank to the sump room to give you a cable route for an Apex module? I thought/figured you would have extra pipes going to and from...

Back