1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

I auto dose with my APEX and the DDR system. You can use the BRS calculator and dose for the amount of consumption. You would only dose what's needed and only when balanced perform equal parts dosing.

Go 1/2 the recommended amount to get to desired level. For example: if BRS says x ml for 1dkh change per day. Reduce it to 1/2x for 0.5 increase per day. Once at desired level, figure out the weekly or daily consumption and dose accordingly. This part needs to be dialed in. Not too difficult as long as your testing.

This is important for SPS and LPS not so much for softies. Clams and anemone's require good dosing, too.

Ive been dosing with BRS 2 part for about a week now. Was using another product before. After dialing in my parameters a bit, water quality has never been better. All of a sudden, my corals are popping! They look full and healthy- something I haven't seen yet since I started my tank.

I was using another product before but the BRS stuff seems to be the kick in the pants my tank needs.

Alk is 8.4
Cal is 420
Mag is 1200 (trying to bump that up a tad)

Tank temperature is about 79.5 now- the fans are working great. I have them go on with my lights right now. we are having another heat wave here in Arizona so Im monitoring the temp very closely.

I have a few large pieces of coral on hold at a local store- going to try to add them this weekend. All in all- finally after a couple of weeks of battling tank temp, parameters all over the place, I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW- Ive been checking parameters daily just to get in a good habit of doing so regularly.

And for whoever asked earlier- why no calcium reactor- Im not doing SPS- not a huge fan of SPS- I have some big angels in the tank so really don't care about SPS in my tank. I prefer my fish and my soft corals. They look much more appealing to me over SPS. I know - sacrilege on this site but count me as someone who could care less about SPS.

SPS don't move around much. Softies give a lot more life and movement to the tank. However, you may find that when your angels turn to fully grown adults they might take a fancy to your softies. That's when the SPS come into their own, not because they're necessarily better, but because they survive the angels' attentions.

There's nothing definite, here. Fish tend not to read aquarium manuals, so it can come down to the behaviour of an individual fish.

Dave.M

Ive been dosing with BRS 2 part for about a week now. Was using another product before. After dialing in my parameters a bit, water quality has never been better. All of a sudden, my corals are popping! They look full and healthy- something I haven't seen yet since I started my tank.

I was using another product before but the BRS stuff seems to be the kick in the pants my tank needs.

Alk is 8.4
Cal is 420
Mag is 1200 (trying to bump that up a tad)

Tank temperature is about 79.5 now- the fans are working great. I have them go on with my lights right now. we are having another heat wave here in Arizona so Im monitoring the temp very closely.

I have a few large pieces of coral on hold at a local store- going to try to add them this weekend. All in all- finally after a couple of weeks of battling tank temp, parameters all over the place, I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW- Ive been checking parameters daily just to get in a good habit of doing so regularly.

And for whoever asked earlier- why no calcium reactor- Im not doing SPS- not a huge fan of SPS- I have some big angels in the tank so really don't care about SPS in my tank. I prefer my fish and my soft corals. They look much more appealing to me over SPS. I know - sacrilege on this site but count me as someone who could care less about SPS.

whats the over/under on how long it takes him to get into sps? :)

No bets allowed. If you read the beginning of the thread, I was just going to do a FOWLR.
:)

yeah we've all been there, its a highly infectious disease to which there is no cure....when we moved into our new house I setup a large tank, I was going to keep it fish-only and use my smaller tank for sps. It took 3 months before I turned the large tank into a sps dominant mixed-reef :)

Beautiful home!
Love this tank build
Really enjoyed reading all the great ideas and advice. I'm getting ready to install a 450 with attached 220 DT's in separate rooms while sump/fish room are located in the basement, I was able to get lots of great ideas here. I hope to see some you at MACNA in SD

No can do on macna. I have guests visiting that weekend.

Update on the tank- I have a disaster right now. I've lost 3 fish to ich. I was out of town for a week and got back to find one of my tangs covereded and 3 other fish dead. I have t added anything to th tank in a month.

Regardless- after battling through the heat issues and now this. Not sure what to do. Either I take out the corals that are in the tank and treat the whole tank with copper or just ride it out- let what is going to die die and let th tank lay fallow for a few months. My wife and kids are in tears as am I.

Devastated.

This question is going to come up- I don't have a quarantine tank. I was only buying fish from one source who quarantines everything. However 2 months ago I made the mistake of buying something spur of the moment from another store who had the fish for 4 months.

Lesson learned so please don't rub it in my face. I will set up quarantine but not sure what to do right now. I'm at a loss.

Try feeding heavy lots of nori, selcon soaked mysis pretty much anything that they will eat. As long as the infected fish are still eating they can fight threw it. This is just my experience and I'm sure plenty more qualified people will have some better advice.

We all go threw hard times with our small pieces of the ocean don't get discouraged and hang in there. (Insert terrible motivational poster here)

Sorry to hear this, I know how you feel because I have gone through the exact same thing. Have you tried adding a cleaner wrasse? This is not a joke.... they do their job sometimes but it's hit and miss. Remember to grab the cleaner wrasse from the reliable store....

Agree with the above post. Feed heavily and do frequently water changes. I assume your UV is all. Working ok? I treated my tank (cant remember the bloody name) with something (turned the water a nice fluorescent green) with corals, cuc and fish all in. Turned off uv, skimmer etc and removed any carbon or rowaphos for tge advised period and im fairly sure it saved me. Only had some small signs in one tang but their all alive still... Corals had a strop for a week but opened up well after a couple of water changes once the treatment was done.... Cant for the life of me remember what it was called though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Uv is working. I'll feed heavily. Have been using selcon and garlic. I'll do larger after changes.

I've been up all night thinking about pulling all the corals tomorrow and using copper. But if there is a way to remove disease without tearing apart tank I'd love to give it a try.

I'll try the above suggestions.

It seems the nt labs stuff is only available In the uk. I couldn't find anything in the states. Amazon has parazoryne but not from nt labs. Any other suggestions?

Oh mate ... I am so sad reading this :(

My tank is much smaller than yours, 90 gallon.
I had issues with losing fish and also saw what looked like whitespot on one of the fish which died.
I used Polyp Lab Reef Medic [for 3 weeks] and fed a lot which saved the remaining fish and my clowns are now a lovely deep colour as are the rest of the fish.
I can't say this solution will help you but thought I would share.

Sorry for your loss. One of the bad parts of this addiction. I don't recall so many outbreaks back in the day. Feed feed feed. Hope you get back on your feet again soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T treat your tank with copper. you will kill your live rock and the rock will absorb copper rendering it useless. I repeat DO NOT remove your coral and treat with copper. you will also kill shrimp, crabs, snails, copepods, tube worms and everything else, probably have an ammonia spike from the die off and then lose your fish too.

you are better served removing the fish to a QT or as stated above....

cleaner wrasse
garlic
uv
medicated food

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

What he said I used the"reefsafe" green stuff and lost my cucumber and quite a few inverts :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back