14K Iwasaki 175 MH bulbs any good?

DeltecRules

Jeremy how do you like these bulbs? Would they be able to run on a standard magnetic ballast? I am thinking of switching these out for my old hamilton 10,000 true german bulbs which are 15 months old.

Scott

These are phenomenal lamps! They are one of the odd ball lamps that do run better (ie put out more par) on an electronic ballast than what they do on a magnetic, but they still have good numbers on that magnetic. You lose about 15% of the par going from electronic to magnetic on them, but you gain just a little on the kelvin rating, running right at 15,000k. If you would compare them vs that lamp you are running now you would probably sacrifice about 5% in overall light output, but go from a bulb that is rated at about 9,000k to a lamp that is at 15,000k. They are as white as white can get!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6911527#post6911527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy B.
These are phenomenal lamps! They are one of the odd ball lamps that do run better (ie put out more par) on an electronic ballast than what they do on a magnetic, but they still have good numbers on that magnetic. You lose about 15% of the par going from electronic to magnetic on them, but you gain just a little on the kelvin rating, running right at 15,000k. If you would compare them vs that lamp you are running now you would probably sacrifice about 5% in overall light output, but go from a bulb that is rated at about 9,000k to a lamp that is at 15,000k. They are as white as white can get!

Jeremy thanks for the input, you think from your personal view I should go with these bulbs even if they run on a magnetic ballast, is the risk worth it?

I think they are pretty darn hard to beat! Even with just a little bit of total light output loss you are getting a bulb that is much more white than what you have now. I think I would definitely change if I had 175s!

Believe it or not Iwasaki actually makes a 150w DE "Aqua". I sent one to Sanjay to test about 3yrs ago, and the lamp was phenomenal. Unfortunately they are VERY hard to find! I haven't seen any come through for quite a while.

I would think it will probably be at least the end of '06 or possibly beginning of '07 until any other wattages are out.

Back