150 watt DE MH lamps compared

Scleractinian said:
Scott, It'd be quite interesting if you could simply post pics of all of the lamps, along with the name that they're being marketed under and their apparent manufacturer... I have a few 150w lamps of unknown make, though I suspect they are the HIT blues.
I just got back from a business trip and will take some pictures of the bulbs and boxes that are on hand. I should be able to get the pics posted tonight. Thanks for the help Rob.

Scott

traveller7 said:
I just got back from a business trip and will take some pictures of the bulbs and boxes that are on hand. I should be able to get the pics posted tonight. Thanks for the help Rob.

Scott

I'm looking forward to seeing those. Good luck with the testing. I can't wait to see the results.

saltyseaman,

Saw the post and the box will support measurements from 1" to 21" but I'll be following JB's parameters as the primary focus. I'll hit the 18" mark on my gear and loaners that folks can spare for a longer period of time.

Scleractinian and Riverbum,

I'd like to see the pictures as well. Nature has decided to bless us with snow the last 2 nights and time has not allowed the photo op :(

I should have the following photos by tomorrow afternoon:

Bulbs I had on hand:
Aqualine 150 watt 10000K
Colorlite Blue 150 watt PN BLV 224321 HIT-DE 150 blau
IceCap 150 watt 10000K
Ushio 150 watt 5200K? PN DD/UVP

Bulbs loaned by saltyseaman:
Osram Daylight 6000K #1 estimated usage 1 yr
Osram Daylight 6000K #2 estimated usage 1 yr
Osram Daylight 6000K #3 estimated usage 1 week
XDE 20000K Estimated usage 900 hours

Bulbs loaned by ******* (waiting for permission to share the name ;) )
CoralVue 10000K
CoralVue 20000K
CoralVue 150 Electronic Ballast

Updates on additional inbound gear:

Giesemann BLV Daylight 150 watt TS 6000K (12/8 arrival)
Giesemann BLV Cool White 150 watt TS 10000K (12/8 arrival)
Giesemann Megachrome Marine TS 150 watt 13000K

I am still waiting on the Apogee Meter/sensor/plate to arrive. Box is ready for sensor mounting.

Bulbs are burning in and getting hours logged.

That's all for now.

Scott

Back to work....

Back to work....

Talk about falling behind my hoped schedule.

The good news is fellow RCer's have come through with loaner gear, subsidized purchases, and source locations. The OEM matrix really seems to narrow the focus. Who knows how many "copies" I already have but why stop now ;>)

Given the delays to post any test results, I donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t want to assume previous offers are still out there, so please post or PM if you have gear you want to add to the party.

The following bulbs are on hand or confirmed shipped:

Aqualine 10000K
Colorlite Blue
CoralVue 10000K - Loaner from DIYReef.com (Thanks Justin)
CoralVue 20000K - Loaner from DIYReef.com (Thanks Justin)
Giesemann 6000K - Subsidized pricing by Giesemann (Thanks Phillip and Roger)
Giesemann 10000K - Subsidized pricing by Giesemann (Thanks Phillip and Roger)
Giesemann 13000K - Subsidized pricing by Giesemann (Thanks Phillip and Roger)
IceCap 10000K #1
IceCap 10000K # 2 w/400hrs
IceCap 10000K # 3 w/400hrs
Iwasaki 6500K - Subsidized pricing by ReefTropicals.com (Thanks Alex)
Iwasaki 50000K - Subsidized pricing by ReefTropicals.com (Thanks Alex)
Osram 6000K #1 w/1yr - Loaned by saltyseaman (Thank you much)
Osram 6000K #2 w/1yr - Loaned by saltyseaman (Thank you much)
Osram 6000K #3 w/1wk - Loaned by saltyseaman (Thank you much)
Osram 10000K - Subsidized pricing by ReefTropicals.com (Thanks Alex)
Ushio 5200K
Ushio 20000K - Subsidized pricing by ReefTropicals.com (Thanks Alex)
XDE 10000K
XDE 20000K
XDE 20000K #2 w/900hrs - Loaned by saltyseaman (Thank you much)

Bulbs on backorder:

Ushio 10000K - Subsidized pricing by ReefTropicals.com (Thanks Alex)

Still looking for the following bulbs:

CoralVue 6500K
Radium 20000K
Sylvania AquaArc 10000K

Ballasts on hand or confirmed shipped:

ARO HelloLights 150/175
Blueline 175 Eballast
CoralVue 150 Electronic ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Loaned by DIYReef.com (Thanks Justin)
IceCap 150 ââ"šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ Loaned by moonpod (Thanks Chuck)
M81

Still looking for the following ballasts:

Giesemann Electronic
Reliable

Major hold up:

Apogee PAR meter is in a black hole, the test box is waiting and so am I. May need to jump to a Li-Cor 250 to get testing done over the holidays.

Once the meter shows up, the loaner gear goes first so that I can get it all back to the proper owners.

Thanks for all the help and may the Holiday Season provide the last few pieces and time for batch testing. A Nikon 4500 is on the way as well, the Sony DCR-TRV30 just can't handle the white balance issues for in tank comparisons. Not to mention, a better macro will be required if it is cleared to post detailed pics of the bulbs.

Any comments on that 150/175 ballast?

I had posted in another forum about that one, kinda seems like an odd-ball ballast.

I also noticed that Premium Aquatics has them on clearance now, saying that they will not be selling any more - this after being sold-out of them as soon as they were posted on their site! I'd like to know what this ballast is all about!

Apogee Update: Received email today saying the gear was shipping today via the 2 day air as ordered. Looks like the weekend might allow initial testing and tweaking after all :)
MadTownMax said:
Any comments on that 150/175 ballast?
Currently all bulbs are getting burned in on the M81's. The ARO and the eballast both shipped yesterday. It will be interesting to see if either of them flicker with some of the bulbs. Won't know until next week soonest. Unfortunately, I saw the ARO at Premium while searching for Radium DE's; of course the day after I bought the ballast elsewhere :(

Apogee Meter arrived today, and assembly today ;)

Radium 150 DE ordered and shipped.
CV 6.5KK close to ship......

Maybe there is is still a Sylvania available to close the final loop......

Thanks for the patience folks, it will be interesting if nothing else ;)

Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

Plse take a look at this link for 3 types of Iwasaki color ARC 150W DE or SE bulbs.

http://www.iwasaki.co.uk/frameset-colorarc/colorarc_frames.html

The 20K Saki burn like a 11K or 12K bulb, totally white and reliability is excellence. After 11 mths, it is still very white, very little shift in color.

BTW, 20K saki intensity is 8000lm compare to BLV/Ushio of 7000lm.

Max

traveller7 said:

Maybe there is is still a Sylvania available to close the final loop......

Urrrrg... I get excited about my Corals of the World set arriving, decide (again) on 4x150 DE on my 65, figure out my closed loop, finally decide on an aragonite reactor (ReefTek), and totally forget to follow up here.

Scott, PM me w/ shipping info (I think that you mentioned a Fed-Ex acct.) and I'll do my best to get one out tomorrow.

I can throw in a couple of pair of 150DE lampholders (both the steel clip "low profile" and the "heavy duty" ceramic) if you need them for burn in, etc.

veng68 said:
I don't think we can get the 20K DE in the North American Market.

Cheers,
Victor [veng68]

I believe that Hellolights sells both the Radium 150DE and their "house brand" (XDE) in 20K. IIRC, Coralvue's also marketing one.

Rob I think he was specifically referring to the iwasaki 20k DE which is listed as a separate bulb from the 6500k and the 50k in their catalog.

Re: Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

Re: Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

571958 said:
Plse take a look at this link for 3 types of Iwasaki color ARC 150W DE or SE bulbs.

Much appreciated. I did not know Iwasaki had a 20K DE, now if we can only get our hands on one here in the states :)

For what it is worth, I currently have in the following in the 10K plus range:

BLV Colorlite Blue
CoralVue 20KK
Giesemann 13KK
Iwasaki 50KK
Radium
Ushio 20KK
XDE 20KK

Scleractinian said:
Scott, PM me w/ shipping info (I think that you mentioned a Fed-Ex acct.) and I'll do my best to get one out tomorrow.
Rob,

You've got PM. Thanks for adding a "hard to get stateside" bulb brand into the mix :)

Scott

moonpod said:
Rob I think he was specifically referring to the iwasaki 20k DE which is listed as a separate bulb from the 6500k and the 50k in their catalog.

Ooh... there I go not reading the whole thread again.

traveller7 said:

Scott

Scott, did you ever get the comparo pics of the unlit lamps?

BTW, got your PM, will get stuff together this evening and try for shipment tomorrow.

Scleractinian said:
Scott, did you ever get the comparo pics of the unlit lamps?

BTW, got your PM, will get stuff together this evening and try for shipment tomorrow.

Rob,

Yes, I took pics but I need to get some concerns addressed prior to posting. In addition, I have a few more bulbs inbound that will be most interesting to compare ;>)

Thanks again,

Scott

Back