150 watt DE MH lamps compared

timeline on test

timeline on test

How long do you expect this test to take? Curious since I am looking for lighting options in the next 2-3 months.

Max

It appears we'll have 6 Ballasts and 25 Bulbs.

I am going after the loaner gear and the more popular combos first.

I figure I'll have them done at 8" distance by end of Jan 04.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Re: timeline on test

Re: timeline on test

mmoss said:
How long do you expect this test to take? Curious since I am looking for lighting options in the next 2-3 months.

Max

Ya, I'm waiting on the results too.

I just can't decide on the 150 DE or the 250 SE.

After travler is done with his tests I think I will decide. Finally!

Thanks again traveller7.

Re: Re: Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

Re: Re: Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

Hi Scott,
what's your address, I can ship you one new 20,000K Iwasaki DE 150W. It will take probably 2 weeks with normally courier to US.

Max

traveller7 said:
Much appreciated. I did not know Iwasaki had a 20K DE, now if we can only get our hands on one here in the states :)

For what it is worth, I currently have in the following in the 10K plus range:

BLV Colorlite Blue
CoralVue 20KK
Giesemann 13KK
Iwasaki 50KK
Radium
Ushio 20KK
XDE 20KK
:bum: :bum: :mixed: :mixed: :mixed:

I would love to see a 150watt DE Aqua Spacelight in this test...
Probably use the same bulb and ballast on the test...

kmu said:
but then you're getting reflectors involved and that won't keep things standardized.

kmu said:
For what it is worth I have four 2x150 AquaSpaceLights that I hope to be using for burn in. I may include them in some comparison photos, but the tanks they are lighting are mostly clams and have not been very indicative of the color differences between bulbs.

Comparison photos will likely be taken with PFO mini's over a tank with SPS, LPS, Softies, and some Anemone.

As electric130 shared, the PAR tests will not include reflectors, just the bare bulb and ballasts.

Re: Re: Re: Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

Re: Re: Re: Iwasaki 6.5K / 20K & 50K

571958 said:
Hi Scott,
what's your address, I can ship you one new 20,000K Iwasaki DE 150W. It will take probably 2 weeks with normally courier to US. ...............
Time we have :)

Sending you a PM with my mailing address. I really appreciate the extra effort you are making. Thank you Max.

Scott

Yeah I know there are not going to be any reflectors or fixtures involved, thats why I said "Probably use the same bulb and ballast on the test" as in referring to the Aqua Spacelight equipment (bulb and ballast in fixture)

THX guys...

As far as reflectors go, is there anything out there that is better than a Reef Optics III, I was planning on getting two of these, then whatever bulbs come out of this test in good standing (and which color I like of course :D ) and then whichever electronic ballast comes out on top (heavily interested in the 150/175 ballast in case I go to a deeper tank in the future and want the extra punch of a 175).

any idea which of these bulbs will last the longest - this will probably be number one in my deciding factors

thanks in advance

kmu said:
Yeah I know there are not going to be any reflectors or fixtures involved, thats why I said "Probably use the same bulb and ballast on the test" as in referring to the Aqua Spacelight equipment (bulb and ballast in fixture)

THX guys...
Opps, my apologies.

While I have a few new AB10K bulbs from the AB spacelights, I purchased all of my rails without ballasts :rolleyes: I already had a pile of M81's and wanted to remote the ballasts.

If anyone has an AB ballast or other AB color temp bulb I can add them to the mix.

Thanks.

MadTownMax said:
As far as reflectors go, is there anything out there that is better than a Reef Optics III, I was planning on getting two of these..................
Nothing I have found with directly comparable data. From Sanjay's testing the ROIIIs would seem to edge the new style PFO mini's in the DE world, but the difference is in minimal in my opinion. In the SE world it still appears the Diamonds Luminarc IIIs rule the roost.

What would be really interesting, would be a comparison between:

150 DE ROIII and a 175 SE Diamond Luminarc III
250 DE ROIII and a 250 SE Diamond Luminarc III
250 DE ROIII and a 400 SE Diamond Luminarc III

;>) but that is a different test :p

Full disclosure: I own 4 PFO new style mini's, 4 Diamond LAIII's, and plenty of AB aquaspacelight 2x150 rails.

It's Monday I am off to real life folks.

Thanks.

Sorry, I jumped to conclusions. The DE 20K AB lamp is only available in the 250W version in the US as of now. :sad1:

Saltyseaman, I sent of a request to gather some more goodies, thanks for the lead ;) Scott

Update on a few things:

Replaced the floor of the box and painted again. While the mounting was flexible so that I could increase the measured distances easily, it also allowed the leveling base to shift too much. Hope tomorrows tinkering allows the new solution to be more stable :(

The coolpix 4500 I picked up to take pictures appears to be defective :(

Off to tinker and wish me luck.

Those lamps got a lousy rep--at least the 70w versions do. If you troll the nano-reef board, those things die left and right.

Back