300 gallons to BIG for an apartment?

The article you posted was awesome to read, I actually read that same article from the main author just a few nights ago which was basically my "go ahead" on the tank..
Tank is in my apartment now... 12 guys, and 3 cases of beer later lol

I mean this in no sarcastic manner at all, but I've been wondering the same thing since I've been in the market for a 265 and I finally just pulled the trigger on it and bought one today.

This is what I've always wondered. I have a 120gallon right now, and the stand has lasted 5 years and it weighs literally nothing, and theres not much too it at all. It is on the second floor (FROG room of my house) I never really understood why people worry so much about tanks falling through floors and sagging the floors, but we put so much trust into these puny stands, but do not trust the floors in our house. What am I missing?

Disclaimer- I know nothing about construction, and this might be where I dont get it, but Ive never understood how a tank stand can support a weight but a whole floor in a home cant.

I have roughly 300 gallons of aquariums in my 2nd floor apartment for the past year. It has not fallen through to the people below and crushed them to death, although sometimes I dream of such things.

I have a 270 gallon total system in a apartment. Building is about 10 years old, I didn't even check the floor and it's been fine for a year and a half

Well Bird, all I can add is I sure as heck hope you have renter's insurance. Either that or you better go set aside a couple grand in a saving's bond just in case. If you were my tenant and I found out what your had planned for my upstairs apartment god help you if any damage was incurred as a result. Next time we saw each other would be in court.

Back