470 Gallon Mixed Reef - nuxx Reef

Really impressive build, Peter. 10 feet is just an amazing thing all by itself. How did the tile floor hold up? What steel did the stand builder use? Looks like 2.5" to possibly 3"? What wall thickness?

I'm along for the ride...:bigeyes:

Not sure what size steel he used. All the info was on my old phone in texts. I know it's super beefy, especially since the front middle three braces are removable. Did this so I could get the sump out if needed.

Floor tile seems just fine :)

Just got a Purple Tang from Michael at NY Aquatic and he's in QT now. Eating nori, Mysis, flakes and picking at live rocks:

purple_Tang_QTDay1_2.jpg

Also just order a 4" Black Tang and Chevron Tang from Kevin at Pacific Island Aquatics. Really saved me... was waiting on a wholesaler to get stock and it wasn't happening. Probably my fault by buying the Purple too quick.

Here's a pick of the Black I bought:

black_tang.jpg

Hi,

Is this a Zebrasoma rostratum? Nice fish!

Greetings B

----------------------

Just got a Purple Tang from Michael at NY Aquatic and he's in QT now. Eating nori, Mysis, flakes and picking at live rocks:

purple_Tang_QTDay1_2.jpg

Also just order a 4" Black Tang and Chevron Tang from Kevin at Pacific Island Aquatics. Really saved me... was waiting on a wholesaler to get stock and it wasn't happening. Probably my fault by buying the Purple too quick.

Here's a pick of the Black I bought:

black_tang.jpg

great fish!!

great fish!!

How long you will leave them in a Qt ??
How you keep ammonia and nitrite low in QT?
Do you use any medications on QT??

Thank you

Not to beat you up, Castro, but those questions are probably best directed to the appropriate areas of the forum. The search function is also very handy.

How long you will leave them in a Qt ??
How you keep ammonia and nitrite low in QT?
Do you use any medications on QT??

Thank you

Water in QT tanks has been in there for a few weeks. Have a few pieces of live rock, live rock rubber and some very established filter pads in the HOB filters.

Will QT for 5-6 weeks. 6 would be the max (unless something bad comes up), because we're going on a quick vacation at that time.

Ammonia and Nitrite have been non-existent.

Normally do 3 treatments of PraziPro 7 days apart followed by a big water change.

This time I'm treating the Chevron with some Melafix because it came with a wound. Looks like it's doing better after a few days of treatment. Will do water changes and start PraziPro this Friday.

Just added the Black, Purple, Yellow and Yellow Bellied Blue Tangs to the tank.

They are busy checking each other out right now. The Tomini didn't really swim with them much. He seems to be coming around more.

Chevron went out of quarantine and into my old display tank with a Black Ice Clown to finish it's PraziPro treatment. Had a bit of a delay when I had to treat it for a bite.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/MMZxvKewz0c?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/MMZxvKewz0c?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Looks amazing.
I love my lil stealth bomber(lebron) is his name.
He's big, black and badazz

LOL :lolspin:

Was going to name the Purple Kobe...

Maybe Wu for the Black...

Yellow is Blondie...

Yellow Bellied Blue is Nori/Dory...

What IP camera are you using?

Using an old SD Foscam on the QT tanks, have a 720P Foscam on the big tank.

I really don't like it, going to see if some better 1080P cameras from other manufactures get good reviews.

Looks a little dark even with the LEDs at nearly 100%.

Here's a video of the tangs eating...

Tried to break up the new Tangs' aggression towards the existing Tomini by putting three rocks with nori in the tank.

Naturally they all flock over to where the Tomini hangs out and start eating that one...

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Hz4zA7p32l4?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Hz4zA7p32l4?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This tank is awesome... I cant wait to see what else you stock it with

Thanks man :)

I'm really waiting to add an Achilles and maybe an Achilles Hybrid and a Small Crosshatch Pair (Read 4-5" male), but that'll be down the line.

Want those fish to be near last for aggression issues. Now my wife gets to pick all the small pretty fish :p

I can't wait to move to coral, but I'll have to wait until after we go on two trips in the next month. Then we'll be home the rest of the year.

Also came downstairs and noticed all the Tangs on the other side of the tank (not where the Tomini hangs out) swimming together and not really showing aggression.

I grabbed my phone and they got a bit flashy again and took off to the other side of the tank.

Hopefully they are working it out a little bit. I haven't seen the Tomini on the right side of the tank since the other tangs went in...

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/YpOjiJJDaI0?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/YpOjiJJDaI0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Seems like the aggression is gone.

They are all swimming together and all fins and scratches are healed.

Here is a little video of them going through some flakes/pellets after eating nori all day...

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/VXcP7M1aNR4?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/VXcP7M1aNR4?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Added the Chevron Tang and Black Ice Clownfish last night...

Everyone seems to be getting along. The Purple gets chased by the Black every now and then. I think it's because the Purple always has his fins extended, unlike the Yellow who keeps them in.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/dUXuIxI-qsM?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/dUXuIxI-qsM?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Haha I know... and my wife is already mad about the fish costs :p
One guy to another.
When did [just barely begun] in our reasoning, become [too much already] to someone else?:hammer:
A while ago I got the look when I wanted to buy; salt of all things....:sleep:
Daniel. :lol2:

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you for the information on the Kessil lights. I have an 8 foot long tank I am putting together and have been looking for real life coverage information. Just doing research I thought I would need four of them, but looking at your set up, I realize I only need 3.

Thank you again, your tank is great.

Ash

Back