67g Rimless Miracles Build

@ReefRockerLive, nice work on the light hanger!

@Madtanks, are you still building acrylic stuff? The tray you built for me saved me a flooding yesterday, it caught all the water overflow from the skimmer!

Sorry bud, I try to keep it simple with work and all so i try to be a reefer only and grow my sticks :). I am glad that it saved you though :)

Zhangg3, thanks for the complement!

Small update
At the moment I am in the process of building the frame for the stand. I will post progress pictures later today.

Update

Well it's been over a week since the last update and during the week I've been working on the stand. This is the first time I've ever built a stand so I was a bit nervous about messing it all up and having to do it over.

Here are some progress pictures:

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

During the build, I was contemplating about what kind of stain I should go for, Black Gloss or Black Satin. I went with the gloss and am glad I did because the stand came out like this:

DSC_0120.jpg

This is what the inside of the stand looks like with most of the equipment inside:

DSC_0121.jpg

I'll share one more picture. It's about 70% of my equipment. I still need a Reef Octopus Biopellet reactor, BRS biopellets, Return pump, and some other stuff.

DSC_0123.jpg

Thoughts and comments are welcome! :D

I called Miracles and I am being told that the tank will be shipping out Friday next week and will arrive on Wednesday 18th.

I've already ordered my plumbing parts, Biopellet Reactor, MB7, Tunze 1073.040 return pump, Cree Leds, and 50lb of dry rock from MarcoRocks. Once I get the rock, it's time to do some rockscape planning.

Sean, those ball valves are of impressive quality. I'm glad I happen to find these! :D

Time for an Update (5-23-11)

Time for an Update (5-23-11)

Time for an Update

A lot has happened since my last update. I received the tank Friday, May 20 and brought it to the house around 1pm. Bringing it in wasn't as tough as I imagined so I was happy about that. The build quality of this tank was superb and worth every penny.

The tank went on the stand and the light rails were connected as well

DSC_0005.jpg

Throughout that Friday and Saturday, I spent the rest of the day cutting PVC and putting all the plumbing together. It was a fun day, nothing like spending the entire day building your own work of art!

After getting the plumbing set up, it was time to get the rest of the equipment set up.

DSC_0011.jpg

In case your wondering where my controller is, well I accidentally erased the firmware during an update. This "accident" caused me to have to order a replacement RS232 cable from Gareth at ProgressiveReef. It was a minor setback that is now fixed. I just need to program the powerbar and dosing pumps to the controller and it'll be all set and ready to go. :D

Sunday came around and I had a buddy add an electrical outlet near the tank because the only one in the room is on the other side. :rolleye1: A one hour job turned into 3 hours due to several unexpected minor issues. After he finished up, I added 40lbs of CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand. I had a second bag ready to use just in case it wasn't enough, but after adding the first bag, it was plenty.

DSC_0015.jpg

Earlier today, I spent a couple hours doing some rockscaping. What I had in mind was to have as much open space as possible while having plenty of space for acros. Here's the result:

Front
DSC_0017.jpg

Left View
DSC_0024.jpg

Right View
DSC_0022.jpg

Here are some more pictures

Left Side View
DSC_0021.jpg

Right Side View
DSC_0020.jpg

Bird's eye View
DSC_0019.jpg

I'm very pleased with the results thus far. All I need now, is to program the Powerbar, Dosing pump and add water. This should be a fun week!

Great start to your build. What dosing equipment did you buy? Are you happy with it?

I stewed and stewed on which size of tank to buy. I was considering your dimensions for a while before settling in on 48x30x18 (112g). I'm sure you will be quite happy with the tank size.

urbaneks

Hi, thanks for the complement! I went with the GHL 3 pump doser and am very happy with it. I've had this doser for almost 3 years now and it has been running flawlessly.

I'm already liking these dimensions, the 24" of depth really makes the tank look bigger and is so much easier to work with. In my 75g, the 18" of depth I had made my rockscape look like a plain wall of rocks.

Those are sweet dimensions, maybe I'll try 30" depth for my next upgrade, but first I'll get this one running.

Beautiful setup. Love your rock work.

Are those Maro Key Largo Rocks? This looks like a promising build.

I've decided to not hang my fixture from the wall and have built a light rail using 80/20 products I found off of Ebay.

For anyone looking to build an affordable light rail under $100, here are the products I purchased:

T-Slot Aluminum Frame (1501-LS)
Four 80/20 T-Slot Endcaps w/push-in plug (2030)
Two T Slot Aluminum Corner Connector (3364)

I will post some pictures of the light rail tomorrow, fully assembled. I will also give a brief explanation of how I managed to connect the Maxspect hanging kit with $3 and a few mods.

How long are the T-Slot pieces?

Sahin, thanks for a complement. Yes all the rock in the tank is from MarcoRock. When I ordered the rock, I was under the impression that I would receive just enough, but after getting everything together I was left with extra rock, great stuff!

R@ck78, I will get the exact measurements for you tomorrow.

Update:

The reef has gone through a roller coaster ride with the biopellets. After the initial stages of the biopellets, things were going well and looked very promising until I began losing coloration in some acros, followed by one loss after another.

I've decided to give up on biopellets and save up some money to get back into the UltraLith method. This method did wonders for the acros and other inhabitants when I had my old 75g up and running.

Pics to follow soon. :)

R@icis78, the T-slot came in four parts. The long pieces which are 40" and are drilled to the back sides of the stand. The other parts measured at 18.5".

I got 35lbs for my 47G SPS tank that I am resetting and the 35lbs is too much for what I need. So yeah, that rock is light and porous.

Back