700 gallon Ray pond build

saltyguy51 thanks for the info. I didn't know that. I'm going to try to keep my reef at 75-76 and hope it's not too uncomfortable for the poor guy!

A few more pics: my grandson stapleing the secound layer of 1/4" on the inside walls
DSCN0067.jpg

starting to put the first layer of plywood for the floor down 3/4" and the 1/2" or maybe even 1/4", I'm not sure yet. The floor joyces will have blocking under them to
DSCN0069.jpg
the
DSCN0071.jpg
concrete floor so there will be enough strength.

just curious, i know you will be using a liner but have you considered sealing or treating the frame since it doesn't appear to be pressure treated?

I figured at the very least a little BLO or deck seal for the wood or something like spar varnish. more expensive would be resin/fiberglass.

it would be a shame if the liner sprung a leak and the water destroyed your finely crafted wooden structure. or worse, it sprung a very small undetected leak and over time the structure weakened and then gave way one day.

I am planning to use something more like a marine paint. Maybe deck sealer on the inside and paint on the outside. If it was summer time I would glass the whole inside and forget the liner. I lay up fiberglass at work from time to time but the smell in the house would be unbearable.

Ended up using a concrete water proofing paint from Zinsser. Going to paint the outside skin with exterior paint in the aqua marine color and then I'll be ready for the liner then plumming.
DSCN0081.jpg
DSCN0083.jpg
DSCN0086.jpg
DSCN0082.jpg

800 Gallon pond

800 Gallon pond

I decide to raise the level of water when I drilled for the bulkheads to 21" so that will give me almost 800 gallons. I nearly drilled my wall studs to keep my flexible pvc hidden in the wall but then decided not just incase I have a leak and have to do a major tear apart so the pvc will be run along the top of the wall around to the sump.

All I have for now is a 48x18x18 75 gallon sump, going to get a 150 gallon stock tank to tie into that for my skimmer to sit in. Down the road would like to switch to a sand filter (maybe)

the only question i have is how are you going to put aproximatly 800 gallons of water into that tank that is in your basement? do you have any fire department freinds?

It took me about 2 hrs to fill my 375 so 4 + hrs on my well, maybe longer as I bought 2 more 5 micron cartridge filters so that will slow things down abit.

Back