A Few Bad Things Happening In This World

Genera

Blink and you're dead.
Here are a few things that we might not see as very eco friendly or kind to our beloved aquatic friends.

Achilles and Convict Tangs for lunch
Convict%20Fish.JPG

Pakukui%20fish.JPG

Over 500 Yellow Tangs and other fish found dead in a dumpster
kona-yellow-tang-death.jpg

1000's of seahorses dried for souvenirs and other uses
david-fleetham-plastic-bags-full-of-dried-seahorses-for-sale-at-a-traditional-medicine-shop-in-guangzhou-china.jpg

Petco/Petsmart/Etc fish anyone?
upside_down_tang.jpg

Dried Sea Stars/Sand Dollars/Shelled Inverts/Etc for crafts and other purposes
small_sugar_starfish__22968.1365215892.1280.1280.jpg

The one you may know, collecting fish with cyanide which harms basically everything else on a reef- and the fish too.
cyanide-500.jpg

Dryed Sponges for bathing and cleaning
prod1850003

Also, we need to start aquaculturing as many marine organisms as possible, similar to freshwater organisms (over 90% are aquacultured/captive-bred), as many species have become and are becoming rare due to overfishing and overcollection
Just thought I'd let you know whats going on

Last edited:
b652dd9b391a82307d701ac86be5a9b4.jpg

How bout a plate full of borbonius anthias, considering these fish are rare in our trade and command high prices, im not sure what your point is, most of the photos you posted are from fish markets on small islands, and while shocking to us because we keep and have grown to love these fish, it is however their food source, mabe you could post about why they need to resort to eating tiny reef fish???.... Idk mabe overfishing of the large fish fur to major fishing companies depleating the ocean of its fish... Perhapse this is more the point???

These are just small problems. There are much bigger problems such as the one you mentioned about overfishing larger 'food fish'. These problems also include factory farming 'food animals', factory farming 'clothing animals', animal testing, deforestation, pollution, war, and many more. I was just trying to relate to the reef fishes topic. But if you'd like any topic, these are a few. Also the eating of Achilles and Convict tangs was in Hawaii, which is the USA's main pineapple producer, so I don't know why they couldn't have eaten Pineapples instead, but maybe it is their tradition.

Again hawaii is a fishing "village" and there main fish stocks are becoming scarce, they need to sustain their markets somehow, i apologise if i misunderstood your initial post but i got the feeling you were taking a shot at our hobby, my bad..

No I absolutely love this hobby (I've been in it for 9 years). I just think its about time we start aquaculturing and breeding as many marine organisms in captivity as possible. Maybe we can stop taking things from the wild, and putting them back in the wild.

Many of the larger fish we try to keep alive are what's for dinner in their original locations.
A store owner in Germany who went himself collecting fish and corals in Kenya told me that the local helpers caught a few emperor angels and threw them on the grill in the evening. That's kind of normal and has been done there forever. As long as the reefs are healthy and the fishing isn't done large scale it's ok.

The dried seahorses for Chinese medicine are a different story as they have no real medical value beyond the placebo effect.

Cyanide is the worst and should be outlawed as it not only often damages the fish irreparably but also destroys the habitat. Wholesalers and dealers should boycott locations where this is still done.

Another even more serious issue is the (often illegal) use of reef rocks and corals for building new houses, streets, hotels and airports. The latter two so that "environmentally responsible" dive tourists can go and look at what's left in the ocean.

Taking a few things from the wild for fish tanks is (with few exceptions) rarely a problem - the real threat is habitat destruction, commercial overfishing and pollution.

many of the larger fish we try to keep alive are what's for dinner in their original locations.
A store owner in germany who went himself collecting fish and corals in kenya told me that the local helpers caught a few emperor angels and threw them on the grill in the evening. That's kind of normal and has been done there forever. As long as the reefs are healthy and the fishing isn't done large scale it's ok.

The dried seahorses for chinese medicine are a different story as they have no real medical value beyond the placebo effect.

Cyanide is the worst and should be outlawed as it not only often damages the fish irreparably but also destroys the habitat. Wholesalers and dealers should boycott locations where this is still done.

Another even more serious issue is the (often illegal) use of reef rocks and corals for building new houses, streets, hotels and airports. The latter two so that "environmentally responsible" dive tourists can go and look at what's left in the ocean.

Taking a few things from the wild for fish tanks is (with few exceptions) rarely a problem - the real threat is habitat destruction, commercial overfishing and pollution.

+1

Back