A little confused, Who here justifies this hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how long this thread would have lasted if titled "AGW Theories"? 12 hrs, 24?

I thought it was about justifying the hobby. I have already stated my opinion on that, It needs no justification it's just a hobby and that's it.

I'd like to think that I am contributing by "Preserving Corals". The Reefs may or may not be around in the next 50 years.

Global Warming, Climate Change, AGW Theories, etc. Really!? Has no bearing or place on a Reefkeeping Forum. If you would like to learn more..... uh.... I think it's called research.

With that being said, Global Warming or not, damage has been done. Is it reversible? Sure, with time everything heals. Remember when this little planet was just specks of dust or a molten ball of fire?

Take care everyone.

AquaKnight, do have a source for these numbers? I tried really hard to find one and couldn't.

What I did find is an estimate that respiration (by animals) releases about 50 gigatonnes of CO2 per year and decay another 60 gigatonnes:

http://www.eoearth.org/article/Carbon_cycle

According to NASA, human activities other than respiration release about 7.1 gigatonnes per year, of which 3.2 gigagtonnes is estimated to remain in the atmosphere:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/CarbonCycle/carbon_cycle4.php

So, ignoring very minor sources like volcanoes, that would mean that humans account for about 6.5 per cent (=7.1/(50+60)) of total emissions, an order of magnitude higher than your quoted 0.5 per cent.

What really matters, though, is how much our CO2 emissions are increasing the total amount in the atmosphere. Again according to NASA, the atmospheric stock is 750 gigatonnes, so the 3.2 gigatonnes of anthropogenic emissions that remain in the atmophere each year would increase the stock by about 0.4 per cent. Maybe that's where the 0.5 per cent figure came from?

As ctenophors rule pointed out, that small figure adds up pretty quickly. I don't know very much about reefkeping, but my guess is that you'd run into problems pretty quickly if you increased the amount of salt in your aquarium by 0.5 per cent a day ...

I really don't have sources for that number... MCary and greenbean, obviously being on opposite sides of the argument (both of which are admittedly way smarter then myself) seemed to both generally accept that 99.5% number, so I did as well. Maybe that anthropogenic pertange of atmospheric stock is what they mean...

I do have a question thought about that NASA link.
What do they mean by Storage in gigatons? Is that an annual thing? For example in Figure 2, the Deep Sea is 38,100 GtC, the Atmosphere is 750GtC, etc, but the weird one is Fossil Fuels and Cement Production have a Storage of 4,000 GtC. So they mean that every year, 4000 GtC of fossil fuels are created? Or it a fixed number, and there 4,000 GtC of fossil fuels out there? Because of all those Storage numbers are fixed, wouldn't the Earth have 'run out' of storage a looong time ago?

Last edited:
I do have a question thought about that NASA link.
What do they mean by Storage in gigatons? Is that an annual thing? For example in Figure 2, the Deep Sea is 38,100 GtC, the Atmosphere is 750GtC, etc, but the weird one is Fossil Fuels and Cement Production have a Storage of 4,000 GtC. So they mean that every year, 4000 GtC of fossil fuels are created? Or it a fixed number, and there 4,000 GtC of fossil fuels out there? Because of all those Storage numbers are fixed, wouldn't the Earth have 'run out' of storage a looong time ago?

The black numbers in the NASA graphic are the stocks, and the purple numbers are the annual flows. The stocks are analogous to how much money you have in the bank, and the flows, to how much money you make in a year. And yes, I think the 4,000 Gt figure is an estimate of how much carbon is stored in fossil fuel reserves.

I don't know if there's a cap on deep-sea storage, but Greenbean probably does. Biological storage in trees could be increased if we planted more trees in marginal agricultural areas and/or if trees grew faster, but obviously there is some finite limit to how much more could be stored in this way.

Carbon capture and storage - usually pumping CO2 down old gas wells - is one way to increase both storage capacity and the annual flow, but not everyone is enthused about it.

The earth didn't "run out" of storage because the system was in equilibrium until people figured out that burning fossilized pond scum was a good way of powering vehicles. The amount of carbon going into the atmosphere every year was balanced by the amount taken out by plants.

Global Warming, Climate Change, AGW Theories, etc. Really!? Has no bearing or place on a Reefkeeping Forum. If you would like to learn more..... uh.... I think it's called research.

QUOTE]

What a really silly thing to claim. Are you not aware where the corals for your aquarium come from? Are also not aware that the reefs where they come from are in grave danger from global warming? We have already lost around 20% of the worlds corals reefs.

Greenbean, I'm afraid I cannot follow the logic of your sink explanation. First it suggests that the earth is in perfect balance. That all naturally occuring CO2 is exactly absorbed by sinks. I have not done the research, but this seems unbelievable on its face. First, we know that the earth is never in balance. This is a misnomer. The earth is in constant flux going through periods of boom and bust. Animals outpace their food sources the crash, then the food source rebounds without use or predation, then the animals numbers rebound only to crash again. Its never a balance. One example.

Plants absorb CO2, and increase of CO2 increases plant growth. Plants do not care if it human or natural CO2. Increased CO2 from any source increases the sink, logically. Herbavores eat plants, they dispell CO2 and methane. Increased animal population reduce the sink. Planting a tree increases the sink. Volcano dispels more CO2. El Nino releases CO2, cooling oceans are a sink. I just cannot see the logic of your argument that all natural CO2 is taken care of and only the man made CO2 adds to the atmosphere. It does not even follow historical evidence. I would be interested in seeing the controls of any experiments that came to this conclusion.

Rather than looking at from a standpoint of all thi stuff is coming from the ocean which is so pressured right now. Ask yourself, what can I do? I see my part in the hobby as helping to bring awareness and I do my best to put as little pressure on the wild reefs as possible.

Buying captive bred, and propagated stuff is easy. Corals. snails, and fish are available that are captive raised. Rather than going to the LFS for everything look to local hobbyists. There's always people getting out and selling livestock. Much of what we need to enjoy the hobby is available locally.

Use more energy friendly technology. Buy low wattage pumps, cut back on lighting, or get more energy efficient lighting. Spread the word. Dont be afraid to talk about propagated stuff and help to promote it. Eventually we may not have the luxury of wild collected stuff. Its good that you are asking and with concern. Thats a start.

:thumbsup: This is exactly how I feel. You may not think you're contributing anything but educating people about the ocean is a contribution. Also, fragging your corals and giving them to other reefers helps to take some strain off the ocean.

So Rich, what is it that upsets you the most about me, that I have an opinion or that I express it?

This seems like a benign discussion about the merits of an area of scientific research. Is it necessary to draw battle lines and choose sides with everything discussed these days?

No, my problem is that you're insisting that everyone else is trying to be the "decider of what is true" when thats exactly what you're doing. You're being a hypocrite and trying to play the victim.

Greenbean, I'm afraid I cannot follow the logic of your sink explanation. First it suggests that the earth is in perfect balance. That all naturally occuring CO2 is exactly absorbed by sinks.

No, it does not at all. Systems have feedback in them. Almost all natural systems do.

The black numbers in the NASA graphic are the stocks, and the purple numbers are the annual flows. The stocks are analogous to how much money you have in the bank, and the flows, to how much money you make in a year. And yes, I think the 4,000 Gt figure is an estimate of how much carbon is stored in fossil fuel reserves.

I don't know if there's a cap on deep-sea storage, but Greenbean probably does. Biological storage in trees could be increased if we planted more trees in marginal agricultural areas and/or if trees grew faster, but obviously there is some finite limit to how much more could be stored in this way.

Carbon capture and storage - usually pumping CO2 down old gas wells - is one way to increase both storage capacity and the annual flow, but not everyone is enthused about it.

The earth didn't "run out" of storage because the system was in equilibrium until people figured out that burning fossilized pond scum was a good way of powering vehicles. The amount of carbon going into the atmosphere every year was balanced by the amount taken out by plants.
Do you happen to know why 'Cement Production' is singled out? I've seen it singled out before, but am unsure why.

And going back to that Mauna Loa graph, I am not even more unsure how that works, or what it suggests. Shouldn't it exponentially more? As far as I'm aware, no human activities aids in the removal of CO2. In fact, pretty much all humans have done is hurt the Earth's ability to process CO2, correct? Well, how does the Earth manage to process CO2 exactly the same at high levels of CO2, 390, just like it did at 310? I mean there isn't more forest, in fact, there's substantially less... There isn't more ocean that absorbs more CO2 every year.

The only thing I've hear is in theory plants have faster growth rates at higher CO2 levels, but isn't proven in nature. If in fact, the current CO2 levels are today around 390, how can the Earth process 366 of that (removing 6% of that for human emissions using your number), but when in 1974 it couldn't process all 310 of CO2 (natural + anthropogenic)? In 1974, Earth was only capable of processing 291 (310 - 6%). That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know why 'Cement Production' is singled out? I've singled out before, but am unsure why.

Cement production is a prodigious emitter of GHGs because (1) it uses a lot of energy and (2) the chemical change in the conversion of limestone to cement results in large emissions - about 60 per cent of the total, I think. Aluminum production is the other big source of these "process emissions," - which are emissions not directly linked to combustion.

Can't help with your other question.

If I am mistaken, the Keeling Curve is an reading of CO2 levels in the air. At one point, Mauna Loa, a volcano in Hawaii. I'll leave why that is a probably a poor choice
Mauna Loa is only one of over 200 stations, ships, and planes that measure CO2, all of which show the same trend. It's also measured by satellite. The trend is robust.
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/images/obsmm.png[/quote]

A map of measurement sites: [url]http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/Photo_Gallery/GMD_Figures/ccgg_figures/tn/ccggmap.png.html[/url]

In any event, you can read all about why Mauna Loa was selected for the first observatory and how they can be sure they're measuring background CO2 rather than volcanic emissions here: [url]http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/about/co2_measurements.html#data_selection[/url]

[quote]I mean, we have hard numbers right? We have percentages like 99%-99.5% of CO2 is from non-human activies. Anthropogenic is .5%-1%. Volcanic activity is .1% apparently. So we have to know the numbers right?[/quote]
It's impossible to get direct measurements of sinks and sources over the entire world. You have to estimate, but that doesn't mean you're just guessing. If you're interested, you can read the numbers and justification from the IPCC here: [url]http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-chapter7.pdf[/url]

We know from atmospheric CO2 measurements that an additional ~4 GtC (2 ppmv) is staying in the atmosphere every year, which indicates a 4 Gt/yr imbalance between sources and sinks. Since fossil fuels are so valuable, nations and industry tend to keep very good records of their extraction and use, which allows for high-confidence estimates of their contribution, which by itself is more than the annual imbalance.

Direct measurement of trends in carbon isotope ratios and oxygen/nitrogen ratios also allow for a separate method of estimating whether that imbalance is primarily coming from plants, fossil fuels, or volcanic/oceanic sources. Plants and fossil fuels have higher C12/C13 than volcanoes and seawater while fossil fuels are depleted in C14 compared to plants. Burning plants or fossil fuels also consumes oxygen in the process of making CO2, so by tracking changes in the O/N ratio you can also tell how much is being combusted.

[quote]Additionally, I believe it was posted earlier, anthropogenic CO2 emissions are down over 30% from the economic downturn., Why is that not showing up in any of those graphs? Or did they forget to 'adjust' accordingly[/quote]
Lots of reasons. First is that there doesn't seem to have been a 30% decrease in emissions.- [url]http://www.pbl.nl/en/publications/2010/No-growth-in-total-global-CO2-emissions-in-2009.html[/url]

Second is that the graph only goes up to 2008, so would barely encompass the start of the economic downturn, regardless of its impact.

Third is that the curve shows total CO2 in the atmosphere, so a 30% reduction in emissions would still mean that the curve was still growing at 70% of the rate it was the previous year. Even assuming that there really was a 30% reduction in emissions, the trend line for 2009 would still be increasing at roughly the same slope as in 1996. With emissions staying flat, the curve should go up at the same rate it grew in 2008.

[quote]MCary and greenbean, obviously being on opposite sides of the argument (both of which are admittedly way smarter then myself) seemed to both generally accept that 99.5% number[/quote]
It's not that I accepted the number, just that the exact values were irrelevant to the argument, so I didn't bother to look them up. The basic premise that humans are only a small percentage of total sources is true whether the exact value is 5% or 0.5%, and in either case is still irrelevant to the question of whether sources or sinks are in balance.

[quote]What do they mean by Storage in gigatons? Is that an annual thing?....Because of all those Storage numbers are fixed, wouldn't the Earth have 'run out' of storage a looong time ago? [/quote]
The black, "storage" numbers are standing stock, so they're the values for how much each reservoir holds. The total mass of C in the entire system is fixed, but the value in each reservoir is not. When you draw down one reservoir you transfer the same amount to a different reservoir (e.g. drawing down the fossil fuel reservoir adds to the atmospheric and oceanic reservoirs). The fluxes in purple are measurements of how much mass per year is being transfered from one reservoir to another.

[quote]I don't know if there's a cap on deep-sea storage, but Greenbean probably does.[/quote]
On geological scales, not really. All of the carbon we add to the atmosphere, even if we burn all the fossil fuels out there will eventually be locked back up as fossil fuels and carbonate rocks- after a few thousand years. On practical scales though, how much the oceans can take up is limited by mixing since only the upper mixed layer is actively absorbing atmospheric CO2.

[quote]Do you happen to know why 'Cement Production' is singled out?[/quote]
Because it uses a lot of energy to heat carbonate rocks like limestone until CO2 is driven off.

[quote]And going back to that Mauna Loa graph, I am not even more unsure how that works, or what it suggests...If in fact, the current CO2 levels are today around 390, how can the Earth process 366 of that (removing 6% of that for human emissions using your number), but when in 1974 it couldn't process all 310 of CO2 (natural + anthropogenic)? In 1974, Earth was only capable of processing 291 (310 - 6%). That doesn't make sense.[/quote]
I'm not sure if I'm interpreting what you said correctly, but it looks to me like you're making at least 3 mistakes.

First, you're confusing standing stocks and fluxes. The 390 ppmv value is the standing stock in the atmosphere, not how much is being processed per year. The 6% value you're using is a percentage of a gross flux (% of all natural and man-made sources, before sinks are considered), not a percentage of the standing stock, so you can't subtract it from the stock. They're different units.

The slope of the trend line of the curve is the annual increase, which is equivalent to net flux, i.e how much stays in the atmosphere per year from all sources minus sinks. In the 1960s the slope was 0.8 ppm/yr while it's about 2.0 ppm/yr now, indicating that more than double the amount of CO2 is staying in the atmosphere each year compared to 50 years ago.

And that leads to the second mistake, which is assuming constant emissions. We're currently responsible for 6% of total emissions or whatever value we decided on, but that hasn't always been the case. Emissions have been growing almost every year for decades, so each year our contribution to total emissions has become a larger percentage of the whole, only reaching 6% recently.

Finally, your calculation assumes that all of our emissions stay in the atmosphere, which isn't true. The estimate is that only about 45% of what we emit stays in the atmosphere, so our total annual contribution to the atmosphere is only 45% of that 6% of total sources.

What the curve shows is that CO2 has been increasing over the past 50 years and that the rate of increase has more than doubled over that time as well.

Greenbean, I'm afraid I cannot follow the logic of your sink explanation. First it suggests that the earth is in perfect balance. That all naturally occuring CO2 is exactly absorbed by sinks
The question I replied to was almost exactly the same as the one your asking. See what I wrote in response, indicating specifically that there isn't a perfect balance but that feedbacks keep small, slow, or short-term changes in check.- "[Earth] doesn't ['exactly produce the same emissions year-to-year'] but the interannual variation is small, and carbon sinks have some excess capacity (which is why only about half of our annual contribution actually stays in the atmosphere). For example, as you increase pCO2 in the air, the oceans take up more of it."

no argument here with anyone but were a bit off track anyway . yes this place will freeze -burn-and do it all over again regardless of our existence . we may speed it up a few years but certainly we cannot stop it from happening .
we are trying to justify this hobby and yes i am selfish and want every darn fish that i can afford and house properly purely for my entertainment plain and simple .

will anyone else fess up ?

we are trying to justify this hobby and yes i am selfish and want every darn fish that i can afford and house properly purely for my entertainment plain and simple .

will anyone else fess up ?

The last point I tried to make in this thread was that we (Human beings) are not above nature, we are a part of nature. That point was obviously lost, so here I am again trying to say it again, in fewer, more simple words.
As for "fessing up", yeah, I keep my tank because it brings me enjoyment. I do everything I can to properly care for the animals I have taken charge of, and I believe that to be the minimum anyone keeping a tank should do.
As for saving the planet, I'm not getting sucked back into that.

The last point I tried to make in this thread was that we (Human beings) are not above nature, we are a part of nature. That point was obviously lost, so here I am again trying to say it again, in fewer, more simple words.
As for "fessing up", yeah, I keep my tank because it brings me enjoyment. I do everything I can to properly care for the animals I have taken charge of, and I believe that to be the minimum anyone keeping a tank should do.
As for saving the planet, I'm not getting sucked back into that.

I completely agree, Larry, especially what you said about your tank bringing you enjoyment and properly caring for your animals. My sentiments exactly.

i also agree 100% with you as we too are animals upon this great earth .
in no way was i singling out any one person or comment just simply observing the direction this tread is going . everyone has been more than fulfilling in this discussion and there is some great information here even though it is obscuring the main question . that was all that i was commenting on .even i am guilty in my statements on the freezing and burning of this planet as it too doesn't answer the question .
its all good ,just shooting from the hip here .

The last point I tried to make in this thread was that we (Human beings) are not above nature, we are a part of nature...

...As for saving the planet, I'm not getting sucked back into that.

Agreed. But there is also nothing unnatural about attempting to preserve and enhance the quality of life for ourselves and future generations (i.e. "saving the planet"). Being concerned about the impact of your hobby does not make you a tree-hugging hippie; it makes you human, and it makes you a conscious inhabitant of this planet. Even dogs know not to defecate where they lay their heads at night.

Rather than looking at from a standpoint of all thi stuff is coming from the ocean which is so pressured right now. Ask yourself, what can I do? I see my part in the hobby as helping to bring awareness and I do my best to put as little pressure on the wild reefs as possible.

Buying captive bred, and propagated stuff is easy. Corals. snails, and fish are available that are captive raised. Rather than going to the LFS for everything look to local hobbyists. There's always people getting out and selling livestock. Much of what we need to enjoy the hobby is available locally.

Use more energy friendly technology. Buy low wattage pumps, cut back on lighting, or get more energy efficient lighting. Spread the word. Dont be afraid to talk about propagated stuff and help to promote it. Eventually we may not have the luxury of wild collected stuff. Its good that you are asking and with concern. Thats a start.

its really not that simple. Just by being in the hobby, you contribute to its popularity. This increases pressure on the reefs because not everyone is going to have your sensibilities. By deciding to buy only captive corals, you may cause an increase of supply on wild caught corals and thereby lower the prices, causing many more less qualified reef keepers to buy cheap livestock they shouldn't have. Or other reefers may buy more because of the low price. More people may get into the hobby because prices are low and in order to meet demand more pressure is placed on the reefs. Or maybe you destroy a local villages economy that depended on fishing or fish collecting. So without money for infrastucture they start dumping their sewage into storm drains or stream beds, the resulting phohsphates cause an algae bloom that destroys the reef.

The best thing you can do for the reefs is to make it a valuable resource for those that would protect it. The great barrier reef for instance is a great treasure for Australia, besides being a source of great pride, it also brings in lots of money in tourism. If tropical countries and villages derived large legal profits from the aquarium trade, it would be vital that their resources be properly managed and cared for. Better facilities would be built to keep the stock alive and healthy for transport. Better infrastucture for the trade would result in fewer capture, transport and shipping deaths. More live fish getting to market, fewer dead fish flushed, equals less stress on available stocks.

Capitalism is one of the greatest human motivators ever invented. Use the tools available to fix the problem. Thinking out of the box and reinventing the wheel are only necessary when in the box thinking doesn't work and the wheel won't turn.

Agreed. But there is also nothing unnatural about attempting to preserve and enhance the quality of life for ourselves and future generations (i.e. "saving the planet").

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact, doing so would be admirable. I am just a little less optimistic, and don't think the Human race I know will take it upon itself to do so.

yes this place will freeze -burn-and do it all over again regardless of our existence . we may speed it up a few years but certainly we cannot stop it from happening .
QUOTE]

a few years seems like a bit of a hyperbole. I highly doubt we would have had the same temperature increases a few years from now without our co2 input.

never the less.

I have scene some people make (or merely alude to) the arguement that humans aren't preternature, and theirfore shouldn't worry about their green house emmisions because they themselves are natural, theirfore what happens because of them is natural

by that arguement it is also natural when we attempt to fix our mistakes. well it will either rain or it wont, no point is being made their, its just a tatology.

just thought i would throw that out their, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back