A Low Country Reef Tank....one more final upgrade

we'll talk offline so not to derail the thread.

The rubbermaids always appear to be a great option for sumps. The size / price ratio compared to glass tanks cannot be beaten and some are just HUGE. Amazon have the best prices i've seen for them, plus free shipping which just astounds me, i don't know how they're making any money.

yeah you cant beat the prices on them. I was thinking about taking a ride up to tractor supply in Awendaw just so I can see how big they really are and get a better feel for them. If my other option works out, it will hopefully only cost a little more than the stock tanks and be easier to set up.

Good to see you're back in action. Following along.

Thanks Roni! I held off starting the build thread as long as I could since I really didnt have much to discuss. But now that I am making some purchases like the flow diverters which I am really excited about I figured what the heck.

It is hard to live without a reef tank isn't it? lol

Oh man, I never had an addiction to anything until now! I will say that for the first few weeks after the tank was gone it felt good but then it hit me. No auto delivery for my bucket of salt, no running to the lfs for pe mysis and I wasnt checking divers den every night to see what was being posted. I cant wait to get my tank up again!!!!

Oh man, I never had an addiction to anything until now! I will say that for the first few weeks after the tank was gone it felt good but then it hit me. No auto delivery for my bucket of salt, no running to the lfs for pe mysis and I wasnt checking divers den every night to see what was being posted. I cant wait to get my tank up again!!!!

My name is Alex and I'm an addict too. I think we all are. Can't wait to see this monstrosity take shape!!! If all goes well in my tank, I'll be tempting you with free frags to get you started before your 9 month "no SPS" rule.

The worst thing an addict needs is another one around...or a whole forum of them for that matter.:lolspin:

My name is Alex and I'm an addict too. I think we all are. Can't wait to see this monstrosity take shape!!! If all goes well in my tank, I'll be tempting you with free frags to get you started before your 9 month "no SPS" rule.

The worst thing an addict needs is another one around...or a whole forum of them for that matter.:lolspin:

someone needs to update their own thread and especially update your signature. didnt you make some lighting changes???????

Doug are you using filter socks? Are the drains and return line close? I ask because I am setting up a Rubbermaid stock tank for my sump too

Corey

I do have socks but I want to dump them just reduces the pod population too much given the limited benefit and the drains and return are pretty close and there is no real directional flow going on, I need to do something but was waiting till I had everything else the way I wanted so I only need to partition it out once...

If you have more questions feel free to PM me or I can get back to my thread, just been so little time with the new baby so I've only been reading RC off and on...

someone needs to update their own thread and especially update your signature. didnt you make some lighting changes???????

Signature updated...working on thread update too. I probably should ask mods to move it to this forum, but I barely make the club among people like yourself that keep swimming pools in their house...:beer:

thanks for joining in Henry! I was out at the house yesterday to check on progress and see if the electricians had started yet. It was exciting to see wires hanging everywhere and more importantly....the additional outlets I had requested for the tank area inside the house and out in the garage. I had also asked the builder to install a 4" dryer vent in the area where the canopy will be. Plumbers are supposed to come by next week and install more pvc lines to run from the tank into the garage. We are still looking at a February completion date.

Im still undecided on who will build the tank, whether it will be glass or acrylic or hybrid (never ending debate) and whether the stand will be wood or steel. So this will keep me busy for the next few weeks and hope to have something on order by early January.

Glad it's coming along. Not sure if it's too late or not but you may want to consider larger duct work than 4", I'm finding I need to be able to bent more than I can through the 4"that I had put in.

Following along and subscribed Steve! I love the flow diverter, it's on my list of upgrades and changes to my system! If I would have known about these at time of build, would have likely designed the closed loop differently!

***You are required to attend MACNA in Denver this year so you can meet all the Large Tank guys! :thumbsup:

Following along and subscribed Steve! I love the flow diverter, it's on my list of upgrades and changes to my system! If I would have known about these at time of build, would have likely designed the closed loop differently!

***You are required to attend MACNA in Denver this year so you can meet all the Large Tank guys! :thumbsup:

I will let you know how the diverter is when I receive it. I should have it next week. As far as Denver goes, I will start working on that now!

Feel like someone is watching you? Yeah, that's me. Spooky isn't it.
LOL....its very spooky Bud!

Following along for the ride and have subscribed. Cant wait to see this at the end ! :beer:

Thanks for joining in!!!! Things will be a little slow going for a couple of months still.

outstanding!!!!!!! that's going to be a beast of a system....150 g live rock tank, great idea; will keep no3 in check. perfect lighting choice!!!!

Back