A Reef From NZ

Benar

Hi everyone I thought I'd introduce my little reef.
Here in New Zealand it's all wild/mari's, and my last setup was tabling acro dominant. It looked alright and went through various stages. Ran BB, zeovit for a while, carbohydrates. Zeo made me lose interest to a degree and skipped zeolite changes etc.
With the birth of my second child looming I wanted something simpler. A staghorn dominant reef running the vodka, glucose, vinegar method.
dac22793b9b45b1edf484408ffc613d9.jpg

Mostly mini colonies/frags, I'm starting this thread to keep a record of my growth.
a8f1c8b93f08ae53e9de6f455f567a9e.jpg

250 Radium w/ Lumatek e-ballast's set to super lumens, 2xT5, diy LEDs. KZ Revolution M, KZ CaRx S, Vortech's.
I'm hoping for thickets of stags to grow all over in the next couple years to come, by which time I'll reevaluate if I want to keep this reef going.

Last edited:
Congrats on your second kid and go all blacks. Any reason for picking stags since? Always found digis and plating montis to be the easiest.

A Reef From NZ

Congrats on your second kid and go all blacks. Any reason for picking stags since? Always found digis and plating montis to be the easiest.

Thank you! I like the growth speed and pattern, colours aren't in your face like some of the other acros but they don't hold a grudge if you slack off in some areas. I don't think I've got a single Monti in this tank :-(.

Very nice. :beer: Which vortechs and how many are you using for flow?

Cheers my commonwealth brethren. I'm now at 2x 20s and 1x40 throttled back a bit. Was using 2x20's and 2xWP25s but was a bit much of a contrast in pump shapes - I think I'm pretty OCD about that stuff!

A Reef From NZ

Just one of my many downfalls! :/
I have a spot for just one more acro that I've been holding out for. A.abrotanoides
4615e4cf90037406e89a8a4581cc3620.jpg

T5+LEDs only, little bit of sun coming through the sun shade.

Disaster struck, kinda.. I had one big unstable piece of rock that toppled and caused a bit of a landslide..while I was at work.. Gone back to my old ways of minimal rock in display, staghorns look better this way I reckon.
c8b1a5cd3e14e0e913027b7b05f4d640.jpg

One more staghorn incoming, a big blue one. Bali slimer is dwarfing everything else so hopefully this takes the heat off it. Going in the hole below the regals tail.

Watermelon abro? Good luck. It's a pain keep colored up in my experience.
I'd love that colour variant, but will take any abro that comes in (haven't seen one in a while.) might be hard to find space after my conundrum, but I'm sure I'll manage for an abro.

I like this new look and them nice corals.

Thank you! Your tanks have always been on my nice list :) Flow is insane now

Here is why I want stags. Fast forward to 3:00 minutes, I was on top of these about 6 months ago!
http://youtu.be/N5kRD0Wc1V8

Some day I hope to make a trip there and dive some really nice reefs. I did grow up in the Florida keys and can't complain but Bali or Maldives would be a highlight.

Looking very good Benar :beer: Dare I say it looks a little like Biggles's scaping style. :)

Thank you, yeah you're right now that I look at it. Me and biggles must share the same tastes, flat and bony with a little bit of flubber where it's needed!
Added a torch aka "one of those wavy things" to keep the family happy. The things we do..

Thank you, yeah you're right now that I look at it. Me and biggles must share the same tastes, flat and bony with a little bit of flubber where it's needed!
Added a torch aka "one of those wavy things" to keep the family happy. The things we do..

I am adding a torch to my tank too! Out of all the Euphyllia's, I like torches most. I am on the lookout for a nice green one. And yes, its to keep the family happy. :spin2:

Thank you! I actually quite like the torch my mrs chose. The green contrasts well with the blue stag behind. Of course the only spot I had was front and center..
88efeb07aeecbfbf7c66ef193b37c862.jpg

Emptied my entire sump today and did an 80L or so water change. Now I remember why I hate doing them, what a task that was.. Was a solid layer of detritus so hopefully I can keep it clean now. Nitrates 5 and dropping.
9591bafae7e398720938e7da536d8596.jpg

Can't complain. Whatever it is I'm doing seems to be working.

Tomorrow on my way back from my 2nd job I may just bring home a good sized orange stag to place at the back "then call it a day.." Yeah right!

Also like biggles I have a new little pet
21b7f6468b74bab3e0d1d1b84be4c3df.jpg

It was the first Mari base I've let slide for a wee while. Survived the revive dip?!
Kinda cool, it was David Attenborough talking about mantis shrimp that got me into the hobby. Blue around the eyes, some red, some brown. Hmmm

Back