Time for a FULL Reset. Advise on best choices for the tank, please.

fredro

Okay, so long story short; after almost 2 years, my mixed reef has succumb to an infestation of Pumping Xenia and an annoying, but not overwhelming amount of bubble algae. The straw that broke the camels back was an Alk spike that recently began some STN and has gotten me ready to clean up and restart this thing... The RIGHT way, from the start this time, with a clear plan and goal from the beginning. Not just winging it as I went, like the last time.

I must say, I have NO shortage of equipment, and TOP quality stuff, for that matter. I always believe that a good piece of equipment is worth the price in this hobby. I'm 90% sure of what I wanna do, but I want to hear some input on what you guys think is my best bet for the system I'm looking to setup; that is an ULNS, somewhat minimalistic, full SPS, ZEOVIT REEF.

I wanna do this right from the start. I need to know if anyone sees any obvious problems with my equipment and most importantly the rockwork and layout of the tank. In my current tank, my rockwork layout isn't really ideal and with such a shallow tank, most of the spots for the corals are close to the surface of the water or at least halfway up the tank, causing lots of corals to be in higher than ideal PAR ranges. Also, I've found it hard to place corals without having them being blasted with direct flow from the powerhead. I've been thinking that I should have a single island, keeping it away from the sides and powerheads, to hopefully get good, high flow, but not too high.

For starters, this is the equipment I have and plan on using, along with some of the other options I have kicking around. T

Tank: 80g Deep Blue Tank (48"x24"x16")

Lighting: ATi Dimmable SunPower 8x54w w/ Koralllen Zucht and ATi bulbs , 48" ReefBrite XHO Blue Strip Lamp (also have ReefBrite Dimmer/controller box to hook up to 10v).

or

4x EcoTech Marine Radion Pro XR30w on RMS mounts.

Sump: ~35g Custom King Sump. 3 sections with 1x 4" filter sock.

Circulation: Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon 3 Speedy 50w DC Return Pump

or

EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 Return Pump

Flow in Tank: 3x EcoTech VorTech MP10wQD

Protein Skimmer: Vertex Omega 180i with Vertex Vectra Automatic Neck Cleaner

Media Reactor: Vertex Rx-U 1.5 (activated carbon).

or

BRS Dual Media Reactor

ZEO Reactor: Vertex Rx-Z 1.5 ZEOvit Reactor

Dosing Pump: GHL Doser 2 4 Head Dosing Pump

ATO: Tunze 3155

Controller: Neptune Apex Full AquaController w PM1, VDM, PM2, AFS

Battery Backup: 3x EcoTech Battery Backup + Belkin BU3DC001 12vDC for Apex & Router

Rock: BRS 50lbs Dry Pukani Rock

Sand: 30lbs Tropic Eden Reeflakes

ZEOvit: I've got a bunch of the blue bottles and the KZ zeolites left still and likely the reason I'll still be running KZ ZEO again. I've also got a few Red Sea Energy and Colors supplement bottles kicking around.

Current livestock:

3" Yellow Tang
3" Bristletooth Tang
Pair of Black Clowns
Solar Wrasse
Springer Damsel (such a great fish, model citizen and he keeps any flatworms away)
3 Chromis
2 smaller Anthias

1 Cleaner Shrimp

*Current LR in tank (maybe 60-75lbs) had Xenia and Bubble Algae covering it. Unsure what to do with it. Along with 1/2" fine sandbed.

I would like to hear some opinions or recommendations on my rockwork and substrate (I'm not going BB) and how to go about starting over, while still keeping my remaining surviving SPS pieces alive and transitioning them to the new setup safely. Again, I want to do this right the first time. The sump and reactors also need a good cleaning along the way.

I really need to figure out how I'm going to get from the point I'm at now, to the point where I can start rebuilding.

Suggestions, comments, criticism?

Thanks!

Back