Adding sump to existing setup

Nereaga

Well I am now thinking on adding a 10-15g sump under my stand to house my Octo 800s and both of my reactors, carbon and GFO, oh and ATO.

I don't really wanna spend that much though, I have about $150 budget to get one running. Tank is cheap, $10-25. I would probably just go the route of using one return with tubing from a 300-500gph pump. I am looking for the most efficient yet cheap return pump, don't know if those go together or not. I refuse to use a Mag pump as I had one before and they are not efficient and quite loud, IMO.

Now for the external overflow. I ran a CPR on my last setup for 2 years and not one issue. I know about all the horror stories from using them, guess I was lucky! :) I looked at the lifereef but they are $119 and would suck up all my budget. Does anyone else make like a nano external overflow that is U tube style that won't kill me for it? I don't need one rated for 600gph as I only have a 50g breeder and have all the flow I need from my VorTech. Just would like to get equipment out of my tank.

If it's more than $150 total, I will live with it for now, no big deal.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Brad

anyone have any experience with the Eshopps? It is rated for 300gph and only $40.

Are all the u tube designs the same pretty much?

I made my own with a U tube and connected a airlifter pump to it. works great very easy to build cost me like 30 bucks(not including the lifter pump but they are cheap), I used 1/4 inch acrylic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15450972#post15450972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VacavilleFC3S
my advice is to save your money till you can budget appropiately for it

Like I said I can live with the setup like it is... I have my eyes on the Oceanic 57g Illuminata rimless w/ overflow.

Now if I can just talk the girlfriend into letting me get it! :)

Any other suggestions?

I'm running the Eshopps 300 with a quiet one 1200. it seems to be running ok. accept I keep getting a big bubble in the top of the u-tube and i'll take an air hose and suck the air out and it will start running again for awhile. I may just be doing something wrong or I might be running to slow of a pump.

Im running the 300gph eshopps overflow. Havent had any problems with it yet. You should look into a Rio for your return pump. Very quiet and inexpensive.

Ok after some research:

Eshopps 300 overflow- $38.49
Rio 1700 Return Pump- $38.79
15-20g Tank- $20-30

Just need to pick up flex pipe and I am good. Still debating on if I want to do it... Might just forget about it and buy more corals! :)

You were right about the pump Nereaga. I changed it to a 2200 and put a valve on the return to throttle down the pump. I've got some serious flow now.

Re: Adding sump to existing setup

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15450768#post15450768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nereaga
Now for the external overflow. I ran a CPR on my last setup for 2 years and not one issue. I know about all the horror stories from using them, guess I was lucky! :)

That wasnt luck. I have ran two seperate CPR overflows for years without a single hiccup. The external overflows with the U-tubes are the ones that are not consistent..

Back