Advice for Electric Green Carpet needed!

Hey guys,

Youve been a great help to me before, hoping I can pick some of your brains again ;) I picked up an electric green carpet anemone a few weeks ago from a local petco for a great deal!!! Its mouth was a bit open when I got it, so they were willing to give me a 15 day guarantee on it. (Its a pretty damn good Petco!) Its color still looks fantastic, but it has shrunk in size since I got it.. And has not been so great with accepting foods. Another thing I dont get is lately it has been opening up more during the night than the day... Is that normal for this Nem? I did have an ammonia spike kinda shortly after I got it which didnt help (changed out my sump), but since then it has leveled back out. Sometimes its mouth does open up a bit.. Thanks in advance guys

I have T5-HOs (bulbs were just changed, drastic difference!) 3- 10,000ks 1-actinic
Ph-8.3
Nitrates/Nitrites- 0
Ammonia- 0-.25 (looked yellow with tint of green)
Calcium- 450

Standard 75 gallon. I moved up from a 55 about a year ago, had the 55 for at least a couple years before that. Just took this pic, I can get one in the AM for a daytime visual.

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_160224_205408197_crop_800x800.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_160224_205408197_crop_800x800.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
Amonia .25 could be a problem.

Nem in photo looks fine.

I kept a green haddoni back in the '90s that looked similar. It seemed to thrive in my mixed nano reef under a 175 watt MH SE 5500k pendent. I fed it regularly.

Upon inspection your tank looks kind of sterile. Is it new?

It probably is sick and needs a treatment of Cipro. There is a sticky at the top of the Anemone and Clownfish forum. It tells you everything you need to know. Many of the guys there are nem experts and are happy to help.

Amonia .25 could be a problem.

Nem in photo looks fine.

I kept a green haddoni back in the '90s that looked similar. It seemed to thrive in my mixed nano reef under a 175 watt MH SE 5500k pendent. I fed it regularly.

Upon inspection your tank looks kind of sterile. Is it new?

No...well actually the tank itself is. Forgot to mention, I had a tank blow out on me a few months back.. Luckily I was home and was able to save half the water and all the fish/corals. Bought a new tank the next day.. But biologically speaking its not new. Same sand, live rocks, etc. And my watchman goby/pistol shrimp do a great job mixing up my sand bed!

I might be able to attribute the ammonia to a few turbo snails I found uprighted, threw them out thismorning before I ran the parameter tests. If the ammonia levels out, could you see any other potential problems?

It probably is sick and needs a treatment of Cipro. There is a sticky at the top of the Anemone and Clownfish forum. It tells you everything you need to know. Many of the guys there are nem experts and are happy to help.

Thanks :) maybe I will repost it there, thought it might have been more of a general reef question at first

Carpet anemones are prone to bacterial infections and Ciproflaxacin is the antibiotic of choice. It's a week long treatment and it's quite effective as long as it's caught early.

Back