AEFW: In-Tank Whoopin

thank you for taking the time to share your experience. please keep us posted in the next months , this could be the solution so many are looking for.

This is a very interesting thread guys,

I've got a pretty major infestation of aefw and this sounds like it could be my saviour,
the major problem i've got is that levamisole isn't available in the UK , i've emailed a couple of retailers in the US asking about postage to the UK so i await their reply

David

I've just re read this thread again but i'm still not clear on wether you guys did a water change after completion of the dose or indeed if one is necessary
As i read it after 24hrs restart the circulation to the sump , GAC in and skimmer back on
The reason i ask is that i run a 200g system on the Triton method which ordinarily means no water changes are made .(except for the 260ml removed daily)

David

I did no water changes. I did run a reactor with lots of GAC after 24 hours.

I also bought Lev from ebay and it got shipped to Sweden despite it being a controlled substance here.

Has anyone tried leaving solution for over 48 hours to a week or as a dip? Reason I ask is that I use Bayer as a dip but also have a frag a tank and was wondering if it can be left in tank longer to kill any hatchlings. I have been researching this for many years from an outbreak of red flatworm outbreak I head 6 years ago. So wanted to see if when I get new frags I would use Bayer method for dip and in qt run prohibit for the 6 week qt period.

I read all 8 pages and if I'm not mistaken......

Ormet used about 5g of Prohibit to 500 ml of RO water to create the potion. Then the potion is added at 2 ml per gallon of tank water.

However, I missed how long was the treatment before water change?

Now, in the meantime, I tried it myself.
I got a precision scale, cross checked with a calibration weight to make sure it is exactly on point. Then I add exact 5.1 gram of Prohibit to 500 ml of RO water.

To test, I captured several AEFW and placed them into container with 4 cups of tank water. From the above noted concentration, I would be adding 0.5 ml of potion. I observed the AEFW's reaction every 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, the AEFW looked unaffected at all...cruising the container wall. So, after that, I add additional 0.5 ml potion every 5 minutes to try to get a reaction from the AEFW. Finally, the AEFW look shriveled at 4 ml. So that would be 16 ml to every gallon of tank water.

What did I calculate incorrectly to deviate so much from the 2ml / gallon?

Ermin, thank you for posting results. After seeing you results I wonder how long can a lower dosage be left in tank and would it be effective.

I read all 8 pages and if I'm not mistaken......

Ormet used about 5g of Prohibit to 500 ml of RO water to create the potion. Then the potion is added at 2 ml per gallon of tank water.

However, I missed how long was the treatment before water change?

Now, in the meantime, I tried it myself.
I got a precision scale, cross checked with a calibration weight to make sure it is exactly on point. Then I add exact 5.1 gram of Prohibit to 500 ml of RO water.

To test, I captured several AEFW and placed them into container with 4 cups of tank water. From the above noted concentration, I would be adding 0.5 ml of potion. I observed the AEFW's reaction every 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, the AEFW looked unaffected at all...cruising the container wall. So, after that, I add additional 0.5 ml potion every 5 minutes to try to get a reaction from the AEFW. Finally, the AEFW look shriveled at 4 ml. So that would be 16 ml to every gallon of tank water.

What did I calculate incorrectly to deviate so much from the 2ml / gallon?

From the first couple pages, it looks like it takes hours to be lethal at that base dose.

hi

I have a 180 gallon tank, I have some infected acroporas but not all. they recommend doing as I start treatment?

Thank you.

Some follow up.

I had been using this as a pretty regular treatment to get rid of the AEFW that have decimated my once very robust collection at my coral farm. All told since this started, I've lost about 95% of my inventory.

Now, I have not owned or carried an Ammonia or NO2 test kit in years. No need to.

But we are also breeding clownfish, and we want to make sure every variation is cataloged in order to narrow down inconsistencies in the birthing rates. So I picked up some ammonia and Nitrite test kits. Of course we found a little of both. Enough to be of concern. This is significant because although the clownfish breeding system is separate from the corals, we do water changes between the two, so the possibility is there that the coral system has some of either.

Sure enough, we tested the coral system (which is about 2k gallons with about 1.5k lbs of live rock) and we found both ammonia and nitrite. Now this is a system that has been running for nearly 2 years. It is very mature and there should be none of either...at any level.

Buuut, since weve been medicating, and following the procedures of medication removal with activated carbon, the entire system HAS been a bit sluggish to recover. some of the zooanthids havent rebounded and you know just bad symptoms here and there.

I would never have guessed the source to be cycling bacteria.

I know there was a depreciation in the bacterial population because it took days for the ammonia to cycle. (I waited for 2 days thinking it was just a spike and would cycle out quickly). It only went away after $300 of cycling bacteria.

So, either one of two things. The medication can negatively affect the ammonia/nitrate consuming bacteria, or the toxins from the killed organisms can negatively affect the said bacteria and reduce their population.

The dose I was putting in, was isolated to small tanks within the system. there's no way once it went through the big system there is enough to do any appreciable damage before getting removed by the carbon.

so, this is my experience.

Last edited:
This is an outstanding thread five stars, it's about time that someone has finally had the guys to do a in tank treatment. Thank you for all you help, I do have a question, in tanks that are heavily infected with aefw should the dose be lower? Just asking. I don't have them but I try an learn as much as possable when it comes to reef keeping.

Nothing new about dosing Levimasole in a reef tank, I have done it around 2008 for Flatworms.

The difference with flatworms is the toxin, I had about 10 lbs of GAC as soon as I dosed the tank as I had nearly millions of them at that time. Only one treatment was required.

Levimasole will wipe most starfish and worms, same with most dewormer.

Icefire,
Do you remember what concentration did you use the Levimasole at? And how many hours were the tank treated before you water changed and GAC the tank? I'm guessing you had fishes in the tank also? Thanks!

Icefire,
Do you remember what concentration did you use the Levimasole at? And how many hours were the tank treated before you water changed and GAC the tank? I'm guessing you had fishes in the tank also? Thanks!

15mg / real tank volume, disolved in RODI.

Another way is 1/2 teaspoon in a cup of water than 1.5ml/gallon

Myself I put 2 big aquaclear full of GAC online as soon as I put the stuff in the water, I had sooo many. I had fishes and corals.

The problem wasn't the Levamisole, it's the toxin from the flatworm.

Last weekend I found AEFW in my 160g SPS tank. I was devastated. I stick to a strict QT regimine for all incoming coral, of by weekly dips in revive and or bayer, and inspections for a minimun of 3-4 weeks before anything enters the main system. However, somewhere, something slipped in. Several colonies have been hit very hard, and it is impossible for me to remove them and dip them.

I purchased a bottle of Flatworm Stop and started dosing 3 days ago, and I just stumbled on this thread today. ( the othe thread I found earlier this week had big red letters warning not to try it, it would crash your tank). I just ordered Prohibit off ebay.

I will start dosing the medication when it arrives. I am thinking once a week dosages, for 6-8 weeks.

skimmer or no skimmer during the 24hrs?
what about the combo of Prazipro and Prohibit? that sounds promising, but stressful, my fish got a little stressed last year when I was on a prazipro regimen due to gill flukes

crappy cell pics, but you get how depressed I was when I found them.

FB_IMG_1448922138020_zpsyr5hxpyw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back