AEFW: In-Tank Whoopin

Bad news for me, AEFW not defeated. Saw bite marks on A. Granulosa and dipped in Fauna Marin Ultra Pest Control. Lots of smaller AEFW, all the same size, came off. So it seems one clutch of eggs hatched after my last dose Lev.
I did 5 treatments of FWE for 6 weeks. Trying to kill red planaria.
Last treatment I did not see any bodies so I stopped treatments. They came back though so I'm not convinced the life cycle is X weeks. I am going to do another round of 8 weeks but I'm thinking about going the levimisole route to save some money. FEW is $20 a box and I need a lot of boxes. Not sure I trust myself to mix up the powder.

Bad news for me, AEFW not defeated. Saw bite marks on A. Granulosa and dipped in Fauna Marin Ultra Pest Control. Lots of smaller AEFW, all the same size, came off. So it seems one clutch of eggs hatched after my last dose Lev.

Ormet - thanks for the update and sorry to know it did quite complete the job.

According to your log, the last dose is on 9/24 and assuming that all live worms are wiped out and only some eggs survive. The hatching of the surviving eggs to small live worms take close to 7 weeks. Could it be that the 4 or 5 dose weekly is too short of a treatment plan to stop the cycle ?

What is your next plan of attack ?

Even though I have no signs, I dropped in another treatment today after reading Ormet's note. It hurts nothing, so I gave it a shot. IME, the little ones died quite quickly and the larger ones were more stubborn. If they are still small, then they might wipe out easily. I am going to treat again for the next three weeks as a precaution.

To me this has to be the best thread of 2014 congrats on solving how to kill aefw. I hope and pray I never get them but at least now there is hope.
5 stars everyone

Okay so I just want to make sure, if I am going to nuke my 2,000 gallon system, I would need 6 teaspoons (30grams) dissolved in 3 Liters of RO water to get the good starting dose...correct?

and the max I could go is 8 teaspoons? or 40grams?

Another update/ovservation:

I moved all my acros to QT on October 30. In transit i put them all in 40mg/L Levamisole for 1 hour. Rubbermaid like bucket with powerhead for circulation.

November 9 i dipped them all in Fauna Marin Ultra Pest. I found 5 AEFW in the dipping container. 3 huge and 2 big.

This makes me confused, i really really did not anticipate any AEFW to survive 40mg/L for 1h, "slime up" techniques or not!

I guess one needs very very good circulation when using Levamisole to really flush that slime away.

Bump for you. I don't know.

Why not just mix the 6 in 3L and dose it up to the max that Ormet tried? I went with 2ml/gallon the last time with no issues whatsoever.

Flow and time is the key here. If you can, I highly recommend a wavebox-type motion where the water goes in a back/forth motion through the coral sticks.

Bump for you. I don't know.

Why not just mix the 6 in 3L and dose it up to the max that Ormet tried? I went with 2ml/gallon the last time with no issues whatsoever.

Flow and time is the key here. If you can, I highly recommend a wavebox-type motion where the water goes in a back/forth motion through the coral sticks.

Sounds good, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything key in the math here. I am interested to see if the worms have migrated to the rocks below the corals and whether or not medicating the system will actually kill them...or just stun them. Either way its better than draining and starting over lol.

Baste the acros that you know are infested. It will help too.

I might try a dose for more than 24 hours some time, just to see, but I am not sure if the calcium carbonate will bind it all up.

Well I have been battling these guys for quite a while now and tried pretty much every dip with little or no progress. So today I tried this. I went with 6tsp/3 liter mix, and dosed 2.5 Liters in my 2000 gallon system.

Within minutes I would say there were about 500 AEFW that I could see in the water column. And this is after 8 weeks of regular dips and maintenance to eradicate these bastages. So hopefully this means a turn for the better!

What? 500? I had to read that again. I had like maybe 20 and I thought that was bad.

Any issues from the toxins in the slime? I guess that it is possible that these don't have toxins like the typical Red Planaria do.

Curious what you have the next time that you treat.

I had an idea today, so I tried it out. I added 2ml/g of the lev potion AND the standard dose of PraziPro. I don't have any AEFW, so I have no idea if it works any better, but after 2 hours, everything looks OK (mini brittle stars and bristleworms are mad). I mostly wanted to see how the tank reacted to the meds.

I will let everybody know how the tank looks in the AM, but if this is OK, then perhaps one of these meds can weaken the worms and the other can finish them off? Worth a try, right?

2ml/Gal of the potion and a normal dose of PraziPro was totally safe. I applied it two times. The second time, I forgot to put the carbon and skimmer back online for 3 days and everything was fine.

Prazi can really make your skimmer freak out, so be watchful for overflows, or just give the carbon more time to get to work.

Well I have been battling these guys for quite a while now and tried pretty much every dip with little or no progress. So today I tried this. I went with 6tsp/3 liter mix, and dosed 2.5 Liters in my 2000 gallon system.

Within minutes I would say there were about 500 AEFW that I could see in the water column. And this is after 8 weeks of regular dips and maintenance to eradicate these bastages. So hopefully this means a turn for the better!

Any update?

Each successive bomb I did not see any aefw in the water column. After a couple of dips to investigate for stragglers I havent been able to see any either. I'm not in the clear yet, because I'm still experiencing about 1 colony a week loss(from what, i havent determined yet). Probably because of all the constant medications. Im letting the system rest for now to see if things can bounce back.

How many bombs did you drop and for how many weeks? ...just trying to get another data point if indeed this works out.

I was cool with what I posted in post #1 - never another AEFW. Ormet had them come back when he found babies and could have probably used another week or two of treatment.

Back