AI Hydra Settings Thread

A little help.On one of my hydras.The fan is not running.I checked on the temp.it's hot.The other one is cooler and it's on.Is there a manual way to turn on.

Last edited:
For those of you new to Hydra HD's (such as myself)

Since the lights are lacking any type of instruction, I have found myself calling customer support for a little help. They have been very helpful BTW!!

When you access the auto mode, that is intended more for the users that do not require a more detailed control of the light output, meaning a higher, more precise light level out of certain colors.

If users want the more precise control, that is when you'd switch over to the manual mode.

Now, let's say you have the light output right where you want it in the auto mode. Once you click on the manual mode, the light setting get wiped out of the auto mode. whichever mode you select, is the CURRENT mode the lights will be in. A lot of people use the auto mode and do not switch back and forth for this reason.

When I went back and forth, I could never figure out why my setting were being reset. That is why, you need to stick to one setting. There are no preset settings that you can use. At least not with the Hydra 26's.

Customer Support said they were working on the cell phone app to fix this problem. A lot of the settings were also being erased and reset from one night to the next morning. That is also being worked on by the software developers. He did not give me a time frame, but said there will be an update to the phone app.

In my mind, any settings you set using the cell phone, would automatically save and be shown on the desktop/laptop computer. so no matter which device you use, it would read the same. This is not the case. I don't understand that one. How does the light know which device to read from then?

I'm going to reset the light tonight and start over, knowing what I know now. And see what happens. If anyone has some insight on the usage of the app, let me know. please

Thank you reeftub so its not an intensity thing its a coverage thing? not about how much light but about how well it covers the whole area.

Thank you ill see what i can scroung up

Thank you reeftub so its not an intensity thing its a coverage thing? not about how much light but about how well it covers the whole area.

Thank you ill see what i can scroung up

You got it Crash! start low and work your way up and when you start to lose color then back it down a bit. Takes a while for corals to gain their color back so be patient.

Need some settings help.

I have two Hydra 26 over a standard 40 breeder ~12" AWL. Current settings are:
UV: 30%
V: 65%
DB: 70%
RB: 85%
G: 20%
R: 40%
CW: 30%

Happy with the color, just concerned if I'm where i need to be in the intensity department. Max intensity is about 5 hours and its a mixed reef.

Thanks!

Need some settings help.

I have two Hydra 26 over a standard 40 breeder ~12" AWL. Current settings are:
UV: 30%
V: 65%
DB: 70%
RB: 85%
G: 20%
R: 40%
CW: 30%

Happy with the color, just concerned if I'm where i need to be in the intensity department. Max intensity is about 5 hours and its a mixed reef.

Thanks!

That is the hard part, everyone i know that has hydras with flourishing corals have some pretty high par readings but most people will fry their corals. Tricky to achieve for most suggestion would be to purchase a par meter especially since your running to you will have over lap focusing, at least you will not be guessing on par.

I have 96" X 36" x 24"h tank. I am thinking of run 4 x Hydra down the center of the tank and the rest cover with T5 54 watts. Since it such a wide tank and don't know the spread of Hydra? ( new to this) to figure out how many T5 I would need?

Try these settings
21b4519bc35a5a9f5caad280ba844aa2.jpg

can you show the map you are using on Apex?

I upped the uv to 20% but the rest is the same and I also have 4 t5 running for 4 hrs and had to turn the less down or I would fry my corals lol. I used my par meter to get the leds as close or just under the par of the t5/leds running together which was about 230 to 250 par with both running and 200 to 220 with just the leds. I was frying my corals with the light I had running at 55% with all colors at 100 but now I have turned them down and used a par meter I can do a better job of knowing how much im giving these guys.
55a99c70262cac7dc88594df31b0bd7c.jpg

i am running just 1 unit of hydra 52 at 12 inch above water and i tried to run the 12k , 14k on apex at 80% but does not seems to get any colours from the corals. any advice please ?

How deep is your tank and what corals do you have? Also how deep from the surface is you most light demanding coral? Or how deep from the surface is your highest coral?

Most times people like myself turn the lights up too high and have faded colors and come to find out the corals were getting too much light or didn't have a chance to adapt to the light setting because it was set too high too fast.

How deep is your tank and what corals do you have? Also how deep from the surface is you most light demanding coral? Or how deep from the surface is your highest coral?

mine is 24x24x24 inch m, 2ft cube.

the corals on the top is some mills , valida and some stag horns. the strawberry shortcake and blue stag horn have faded in colours

IMG_2922.jpg

Turn the lights down 10% and leave it for a couple weeks and see if color improves with the same growth rates. Tank looks awesome by the way and colors look just a little faded.

Back