Algae ID question

drscheck

I accidently introduced this caulerpa species into my display tank. Hitchhiked in on a polyp rock. It is very invasive. I have witnessed it over-grow live coral tissue, actually anchoring its rhizones into the coral skeleton through the healthy tissue. Each rhizoid (root) is approximately 1 cm apart and the frondes (leaves) are anywhere from 2 to 5 mm across.

I have been trying to manually control it and the task has become very tedious. I am now trying to identify a bio-control for it, either a herbivous hermit or sea slug. If anyone can identify this caulerpa or lead me in a good direction to find an identification I would greatly appreciate it.

caulerpa.jpg

caulerpa2.jpg

caulerpa3.jpg

Thanks

Hey drscheck,

Could that be Acetabularia? Try looking it up here and on google. I would think a sea hare would eat it.

Kevin

Kevin,

After futher research I believe this algae is Caulerpa Nummularia, or as I have seen it called (button algae). The identification came from a LRS (Local Reef Store), it definately looks different in and out of the water, but the photo in the book we used was very convincing. This species is native to the Indo-Pacific. I believe you are right about the Sea Hare.

Thanks for the help.

I've seen similar looking Caulerpa referred to as Caulerpa racemosa var. peltata.
Might want to check that one out as well, drscheck. Nice pics, BTW.
Rabbitfish and certain Tangs should slurp that stuff up... if they can reach it.

Gary,

The problem with this particular algae is that it conforms to the rockwork very tightly, weaving its way between coral colonies and in and out of crevices etc...

I do not believe even if I found a fish that would eat this stuff, that they could do much in controlling it because of this growth pattern. I just don't think a fish could get to it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi drscheck,

I think I may have same stuff as you as a hitchiker on my new LR. My tank is just 3 weeks old, and the stuff has doubled in size. Do you recommend removing?
41973macroalgae.jpg

Thanks

Dan,

Absolutely, remove every bit of it. This is a very agressive algae and can/will overwhelm any sessile animal in your tank.

You have to pick at the roots as some of them can go deep into the rocks.

Back