Algae in sump growth?

uf_gators

I have noticed, ever since my sump has been up and running . I guess 4-5 months now. Red and green algae out the wazoo. My sump is simple and natural , I guess. 1 chamber big skimmer no filter just intake hose from tank. 2nd chamber has cheto and 5100k light. Last is chamber 3 return pump.

Are you running a UV sterilizer? If not that could be something that could help with this problem. You could also add some mangroves or macro algae to out compete the bad algae.

How often are you harvesting your Chaeto? It's ideal to have it tumbling so that you don't have algae build up upon it and for maximum nutrient export. If it is a solid mass not allowing for much room for growth or flow, that may be your problem.

Seth , told me what may have cause my cycle bloom tonight when I was talking with him. I just changed my bulbs and or the cause could have been one of my powerheads crapped out so I had to Change flow .... Dang sicce powerhead.

Is there any diff. Being better than the other on reactors? I am looking at a phosban 150 for 39.00 on BRS vs MR1 for twice the price ? Mainly to run a combo of carbon and GFO .. In my sump on a as needed basis.

dinoflagellates- have any of you encountered this? I believe this is my bloom I can't get rid of.... keeps coming back and disappears when the lights off. I am going to get some kwalk tomorrow to start running. if so wat did you do to cure it?
levels
sal-1.026
ammonia-0
nitrate-0
nitrite-0
cal-480
kh/alk- 8.0/ 2.3
ph- 7.8

Back