Algae Scrubber Advanced

Algae Scrubber Advanced

Yeah. It's by a company that is no longer in business. Aquatic Engineers. May not be as small as today's waterfall ats but the tank runs on only an air pump and lights. No impellers. It creates a surge as well although not enough of one. I am also converting my 90 gal reef tank to a 125gal and will be setting up a waterfall ats on that.

I've re-visited the Adey 3D screen theory. My conclusion is that if you have a submerged screen then the algae acts as substrate for diatom growth (and other epiphytic algae), increasing biomass. Now I look back at the article in question, Adey did elude to this. So here's a pic (changed lighting also to a blue spectrum, to simulate 5 metre water depth).

27a6e00c97cccb18c4d8c17336cdbe59_zps2d52acf1.jpg

Last edited:
Algae Scrubber Advanced

I should measure my scrubber lights with a PAR meter one of these days, our local club has a $375 apogee meter that anyone can use.

I used one once when I compared an e-shine 50W bar to a Nova Extreme T5HO 2-lamp fixtures with 2x 2700K lamps in it. The peak in the middle of the LED fixture was way higher, but the coverage was not as even. with the LED (tighter distribution)

I know I've only used a cheap ipad app but I've measured the light intensity of an LED growlight 36w (3watt diodes) at a distance of two inches from the light source and it peaks at 1600 ft candles. Now, considering over 1200ft candles appear to be detrimental even dangerous to growth should we at least agree a maximum of 1200ft candles. This reading is without lenses.

Edit - Hmmm - now I've checked a CFL 23watt (with diy reflector) and it's upto 1800ft candles at 2 inch, needs to be 4 inches to get to below 1200ft candles.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if foot-candles is what you want to measure. You want to measure radiant flux, as this does not depend on human perception.

Algae Scrubber Advanced

I'm not sure if foot-candles is what you want to measure. You want to measure radiant flux, as this does not depend on human perception.

I'm probably comparing apples with pears anyway. Quite how LEDS relate to white light output is beyond me, although my initial thoughts would be that LED power output should be considerably less than that experimentally shown to be inhibitive to growth in white light as nearly all the LED output can be utilized but only a fraction of white light is available to chl a, b. There are the accessory pigments to consider in white light though, along with cryptochromes, neochromes and phytochromes.

I know that based on my conversations with people in the hydroponics grow-light industry, that 630s have roughly 3x the intensity over 660s (at least, for what the plants "care about").

I guess the hydroponics guys are growing plants and not algae? Not sure if their knowledge is applicable here... Its obvious that they talk about absorption of chlorophyll b, since chlorophyll a has its absorptions peak at 665 nm. Do we know if the algae we grow in the scrubbers use chlorophyll a or b, or both?

I was told that 630s would be better because they output about 3x the intensity of 660s, and for plant growth they were by far the better way to go when looking at output radiant power per unit of input watt.

But so far in the real world, this does not hold true for algae. I believe this is both due to intensity and spectrum.

From my studies, I found that the chlorophyll A spectrum is used during times of intense sunlight, and the chlorophyll B spectrum is used during cloudy times, sunset, sunrise, etc. So B is sort of a 'backup' when A isn't available. I can't recall where I read that though.

I'm still very fuzzy about the advantages of red over blue. From stuff I've read, too much red just turns the light into heat and also causes more chlorophyll production which in turn causes more heat production instead of growth.

Little bits and pieces I've picked up from you guys makes me wonder if blue has not been a winner because it's been too intense.
Based on the wavelengths plants utilize, I have a real hard time believing blue would not grow algae quite well. Especially since blue is generally considered for vegetative growth and red for flowering.

Algae Scrubber Advanced

Using this spectrum, here's my first full 7 days, day zero first (harvest time);

267f3e26246ea4bf9eb0225af012bd9f_zpsda053b2d.jpg

f3cb55dade8569cac54c387d5a2fbc6c_zps72cb49e6.jpg

b9877d3c0d889541606b60c1eb425d36_zps8ec9da85.jpg

a3cf9f2ab829d222edd59c8b6ccfd28c_zps6ac51674.jpg

b327c8ed73fbf41b3ef86e86f12feec2_zps5d58de60.jpg

c91b549f2b0bc17ff91324827ed6af8f_zps742c62db.jpg

41d526f7814c4d6328e544932b17c2f1_zpse6dce3b3.jpg

e167112ae0e4dff6175399d8a315910f_zpse090b80b.jpg

7a2682efd02b6cefd4bee92e5112a57e_zps9b291e75.jpg

Last edited:
How does that growth compare to growth from all red?

Is that a metal halide? I wonder how all 430 (or whatever blue wavelength is best) LED would do?

How does that growth compare to growth from all red?

Is that a metal halide? I wonder how all 430 (or whatever blue wavelength is best) LED would do?

Wasn't all red before, it was a cheap red/blue led combo. The new pics are MH, yes. Although MH are less efficient I'm just testing the light, with a view to broad spectrum LEDS and not just red or red/blue combos. So far, I see more epiphytic diatom growth at day 7 but overall growth is similar to high red to blue ratios.

Here's a quote from ADEY
Studies to date have indicated that in the context of reef microcosm environment, approximately 6 g/m2 /day of dry algal biomass can be produced at a light level of 200 uE/m2 /sec with a nutrient level of 5 ug-at/1 (N-NO3=). 12 g/m2 /day of dry algal material have been harvested at light levels of 500 uE/m2 /sec and nutrient levels of 1-2 ug-at/1 (N-NO3=). Studies on actual productive reefs indicate that production of dry algal biomass is directly proportional to light intensity at levels up to 1200 uE/m2 /sec.
Right, the bit I'm struggling to believe. I've measured LUX at my screen surface at 6600 LUX. So using the conversion factor this equates to just 93 uE. If this is correct, and ADEYs quote is accurate (no reason to believe why not) then I could safely increase lighting by 12 times if that's at all possible?
I’m a design engineer so I should know math and stuff but this makes my head hurt. ;)

Seriously, I went to review my old calculations and ran across this somewhat dated chart from Dr. Adey’s book. The red lines and conversion was just there for my particular tank. Please ignore them. His chart was what he actually used in his setups. The lights appeared to be a few inches away from the screens, 3 or better.

ScrubberAreaConvertionFull.JPG

One thing to note is that his studied assumed the scrubber was a 3-D scrubber with wave turbulence which is, according to his studies, 50% more efficient than those that do not have this type of design.

These designs allow for better respiration along with mineral and nutrient uptake over a longer time period. As harvest period approaches, in other designs, his observations might change quite a bit.

Die off might start earlier if metabolism is revved up that much. As flow to the individual strands begin to decay, respiratory distress might start earlier and be worse than normal. This could affect your average net uptake.

What I’m thinking is that if you use those higher light levels, you might need to be sure that you clean the screen promptly on schedule.

Algae Scrubber Advanced

I'm a design engineer so I should know math and stuff but this makes my head hurt. ;)

Seriously, I went to review my old calculations and ran across this somewhat dated chart from Dr. Adey's book. The red lines and conversion was just there for my particular tank. Please ignore them. His chart was what he actually used in his setups. The lights appeared to be a few inches away from the screens, 3 or better.

ScrubberAreaConvertionFull.JPG

One thing to note is that his studied assumed the scrubber was a 3-D scrubber with wave turbulence which is, according to his studies, 50% more efficient than those that do not have this type of design.

These designs allow for better respiration along with mineral and nutrient uptake over a longer time period. As harvest period approaches, in other designs, his observations might change quite a bit.

Die off might start earlier if metabolism is revved up that much. As flow to the individual strands begin to decay, respiratory distress might start earlier and be worse than normal. This could affect your average net uptake.

What I'm thinking is that if you use those higher light levels, you might need to be sure that you clean the screen promptly on schedule.

I agree. When the filamentous stuff is present, the algae acts as the 3D substrate. On Adeys manufactured 3D screens he merely tried to emulate the algal mats where they were absent in Dino dominated systems. Lights been increased for a couple of days now and it certainly seems to have filled out (15 days in total) ;)

747193a3ada0c834ef5525d1e366afff_zpscb764f7c.jpg

Right, so Adey used 1600 MH watts over 2 m of screen. Hmmm. I think I've worked out that on my size screen (13x10 inch) he would have used 67 watts., mine is 150w.

Back