All reefers in NC & SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
doh! nothing personal!! no im just venting a bit of frustration... last few nights Ive been going to both HD and lowes during my dinner break looking for random bushings and reducers etc... and every day there is at least a few things they are out of... or the bin is so hopelessly mis-arranged (no doubt due to customers not employees) that I cant find what I need.
Its nobodys fault just the way big stores go I guess :)

I will say though... lowes has a much better plumbing section in general than HD.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12394170#post12394170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeanT
Shea...did you find the water?

Yep found it!! Thanks for the help. I'll have to come check out your set-up one day.

Hey Ryan,

Those pics look great! Anxious to hear how it looks... this Friday will be 8 weeks since my deposit was placed with A4Y so I should only have another 4 weeks to wait.

How big is that monstrosity and what's the game plan for getting it lifted into place?!?

<edit> - Okay... so I noticed it's a 220 in your sig immediately AFTER clicking submit. Still interested in the plan for moving it once it arrives. I'd also like to hear about the delivery experience... will they drop it off in your driveway/garage and leave? Do they pull up in a truck and tell you to get thing off yourself?

Last edited:
The tank is a 220, 72x24x30H

Game plan involves luring unsuspecting people to me house with the promise of beer and pizza - then they'll see whats really in store :lol:

good luck on your tank from AFY. Mine is really late. I ordered it in October and it was supposed to be done in January. I have changed alot of things since the original design however so I dont hold it too much against them (and the fact I still have work to do).

originally had a whole coast-to-coast overflow in the back but decided to forgo it for space and cost reasons. Also had to ask them to make a bigger sump (they threw out the old one) since my total watervolume is way more than originally planned (~400g total system).

Theyre nice to deal with (DanM) and seem to do good work but I am a little concerned with all the delays. Last month they told me a cabinetmaker quit on them which was a big delay.

If I was just getting a tank it would have been done months ago on schedule, but they did custom stand/canopy, and theyre also doing MH and VHO lighting, a sump, and some basic filtration stuff. If anything I wish I had only ordered the tank/stand from them.

I think theyll help you drop it off onto your driveway/garage but not into your actual house.

no they do not just leave. the AFY contract is very specific on this... the freight company is supposed to open every box while still on the truck, and its your responsibility to inspect EVERY detail at that time. If anything is amiss, it is your responsibility to refuse delivery and call AFY immediately. acceptance of the freight is essentially the same as absolving AFY - AND- the freight company of any responsibility if something is broken.

they ship their tanks with some kind of shock-sensor that is supposed to tell you if it was a smooth ride or not. If the shock sensor triggered, that is grounds not to accept the tank also. its possible it might look fine, while the joints could be weaked/damaged etc.

I agree that Dan has been great to deal with. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm only having the tank built so no cabinet or sump to deal with. I also did all the back and forth with design questions and recommendations that nothing changed once the deposit was placed.

I work in the park so if you're not too far away from I-40 in Cary, send me a PM when you have the tank being delivered. If I can make the time, I'd be willing to lend a hand to get a view of the tank in person!

awesome, thanks for the offer!

I'm actually very near the 64/40 freeway right off TenTen and Kildaire Farms (I'm sure you know both roads) My house is right by the firestation and green water tower on 1010... and the new Urgent Care :) I think its the safest location possible (watch house burn down tonight)

just in case anyone dosen't already know but if you join fishworld in raleigh's webmail they send out good 5to 20% off coupns at least 3 times a month or so.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12395366#post12395366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ozkrogh
I agree that Dan has been great to deal with. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm only having the tank built so no cabinet or sump to deal with. I also did all the back and forth with design questions and recommendations that nothing changed once the deposit was placed.

I work in the park so if you're not too far away from I-40 in Cary, send me a PM when you have the tank being delivered. If I can make the time, I'd be willing to lend a hand to get a view of the tank in person!
[/QUOTE

Ryan, if you need a hand and can give me a days notice I would be more than willing to help you out. I had 8 guys on my tank and recruited neighbors coming home from work just to get it off the truck. Lifting a 600lb tank onto a 41" high stand was a treat.

I would recommend having some suction cups on hand and dolly's .....it makes the move a little easier.

Thanks Ron. I'll keep you guys posted!

suction cups are a great idea, I never thought of that. Anybody know some good ones I can get online?

my stand is only 33" so thats good :D tank only has to go up 3 stairs (about 24" total) and then its a straight walk to the final stand spot.

In terms of Lowe's - find someone in the plumbing dept. that you can count on each time. In my local store that person is Fred - he knows where everything is and where the stock is located. When I need parts - I find him. Also, do not be shy about asking them what they have in the computer in terms of stock. There is also a special order catalog for everything - lighting, plumbing, etc. Ask to look through them. An average store sells 10's of thousands of products and there is almost twice as much extra stuff in the catalogs. Let me know if I can help.

Oh, and BTW, HD does not have the same policy or customer service.

Thanks ScienceGuy
I think I got all the plumbing fittings I need now. Going to get several suction cup lifters too.

btw, I got a bunch of these pvc snap clamps. I found them to be very strong, and easy to mount/unmount. Just drill a tiny hole with a countersink bit and use drywall screws.

clamppict.JPG

http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/products/221-pvc/222-snap-grip-clamp/273-4-foot-snap-clamp.html

It was the only thing I could think of to help secure my tru-union ball valves since I am using spaflex. I just use a 5" section of rigid PVC on one side of the valve, and mount it on a standoff of some kind (in my case the backside of the horizontal beams where my tanks sit)

I VASTLY prefer the snap clamps over this type (which I hated)
97.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back