Amphiprion Milii

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S1T7wsOV5Ks" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Based on some photos taken in Exmouth and Ningaloo in Western Australia, it appears that A. Milii is hosted by one of the Heteractis anemones in the wild. I am having a bit of a hard time identifying whether it is H. Crispa or H. Malu. I am leaning towards the latter due to shorter tentacles. My first impression was they were both BTA but upon closer look I became convinced they were Heteractis anemones.
dufvRzG.jpg

HaupIxt.jpg

Based on some photos taken in Exmouth and Ningaloo in Western Australia, it appears that A. Milii is hosted by one of the Heteractis anemones in the wild. I am having a bit of a hard time identifying whether it is H. Crispa or H. Malu. I am leaning towards the latter due to shorter tentacles. My first impression was they were both BTA but upon closer look I became convinced they were Heteractis anemones.
dufvRzG.jpg

HaupIxt.jpg

The anemone sitting in the sand is a pretty good indicator for H. malu. Neither H. crispa nor E. quadricolor like settling on sand.

For the night I put them in a 10 gallon QT as I'm still debating in which tank of my anemonefish system I put them. But this will most likely be their new anemone:

97420e2592507bd7d8fb2b39d4294ae9.jpg

They got to share it with the crabs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They went right into the haddoni.
The tank is right now just set up temporarily as I have to take it out of the shelf again to lower the master drain pipe.
53215c7f949bdb79f77a2d8c43afc891.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Dm9hsfSwbc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not so sure any species of anemonefish actually "loves" a haddoni as a host. From what I can tell they all prefer more "fluffy" anemones with longer tentacles. I have seen that in particular with the bicinctus who are not at all happy that their magnificas are in treatment right now and they only have the haddoni. The only points for haddonis are strength in sting, equaling better protection, and location, usually solitary on sandy grounds and away from all those other pesky fish.

BTW, these guys seem to have been trained to eat out of syringes. Every time I try to feed the anemone the female hangs on the feeding tube and starts greedily sucking in food.

The only points for haddonis are strength in sting

I've noticed this causes more uncomfortable/harder breathing in some clowns. The gills open wider and more frequently when they live in S. Haddoni. I've observed that with A. Percula on at least two occasions (two different cases) and attributed it to more potent stings (right or wrong).

Percula don't like haddoni. The percula pairs I tried to get into a haddoni flat out ignored it and rather stuck to a clay pot. Interestingly enough, my large black Darwin ocellaris seem to like their haddoni as if it is their natural host. Though I'm sure they would abandon it in a heartbeat for a gigantea.

Back