Angels in reef - Copps

Wantagereef

I'm interested in adding a pomacanthus to my mixed reef and notice in Copps TOTM some discussion a reference to outdated thinking around keeping these fish in reef tanks and a presentation he made at 2009 MACNA "œAngelfish in Reef Aquaria". But the detail is lacking.

I wonder whether anyone is aware of whether this presentation is on line, or alternatively whether Copps as outlined his approach anywhere?

It would be great to get access to his insight.

I would suggest PMing him and asking him directly. He hasn't been as active lately just like most others in the summer

I met him and heard his Anglefish presentation a couple of years ago at our club meeting. I always wanted to add a large Angel to my reef and after that night I did. Most of those larger species from that family along with Regals usually ignore SPS and are hit or miss with softies and LPS. My Emperor and a Regal never touched a SPS and I was still able to keep some large colonies of LPS and even some Zoas. However clams and open LPS like brains, acans, polyps etc..... are on the menu.

Cheers Mike. I'm looking at a blue face and happy to sacrifice some LPS: I have mainly large euphillia and cataphillia colonies, and I only have one acan and one clam so these can be moved on.

Just wondering whether he had tips: feeding regularly, multiple angels, ball games to keep them distracted...

After I get my 100 gallon tank set up I'm thinking about adding a pair of young red sea regal angels. I know they will eat zoas - my previous blue chested pair cleaned my tank from them quickly but ignored the large Caribbean gorgonia I had. In general they were more interested in algae or clams than corals. Though back then I didn't have any stony corals.

If you place the corals they may attack into places the angels can't reach they should be fairly safe.

In general they like meaty bites and SPS just don't have that.

The only danger large angels pose to a SPS tank is the bio-load they produce.

Best bet is to add a juv or small specimen to try and avoid getting one that has developed a taste for corals in the wild. Its a calculated risk either way you look at it. Once they go in a reef tank, they aren't easy to get out

I have BF (young adult) and it absolutely nips at sps. Sps does show visible damage but otherwise still growing and looking good. I have nice size colonies so it can withstand the nipping. Frags might not fare so well. Oddly it doesn't eat or nip my zoas which I would gladly sacrifice to keep what I think is the best looking large angel. Also feed it NLS pellets to get it nice and fat. Good luck.

I've been keeping large angels for a few years now and agree with most of the post here. It's a gamble but some are safer than others. I've found that Regals an Navarchus are generally more safe than not. I have my doubts about feeding heavy and other distractions as some angels I've had just want to eat certain corals no matter what I did. In my experience it seems that after the introduction of a questionable angel you may not want to introduce anymore corals. A new frag will get the attention of all the tanks inhabitants some may not be good:). I find them worth the risk. Good luck.

Angels in reef - Copps

I always have angels in my mixed reef tank
Just no zoa, most LPS with exception of frogspawn, hammer and torch

Mushroom
Sps
Anemone
Are all good

http://youtu.be/UlHkx6eLano
3 months ago

PS large angel are safer than dwarf angel
Specially with Sps

Last edited:
Terrific looking reef bullitr. Looks like the advice is fairly consistent with what's out there: feed well, avoid meaty LPS, limit introduction of new corals after the angel is in the tank, get a juvi, be willing to put up with some damage, and cross your fingers.

I have pm'd Copps, so will see whether he has any further advice.

Now, just to find myself a juvi BF...

Yeah, I don't think there's any 'magic formula' to this. Feed them well, maintain really high flow, keep active/aggressive tank-mates, avoid fleshy polyps (and probably clams) and HOPE.

I think it also depends on the individual fish and whether or not you're feeding them. I've always had angels in my tanks...

I've got a few in my tank without problem. I tend to feed heavily and I have a lot of flow. One thing I read that Copps said was that angels are more prone to nip on unhealthy corals. That always stuck with me

I agree in most part with Bullitr, with the following
Queens, I have had 4 over 15 years and none where reef safe
Two Juvenile Blue Face angels, both destroyed SPS. Two adults where just fine
Four Flame angels, only one picks on my Bird of Paradise but does not kill it.

Copps is certainly the man to talk to. He has helped me too.

I'm a big believer in getting them as small as possible too. Also when I pick up a new angel, I put them in my frag system first. It gives me a chance to see what they go after, and they are easy to catch/ isolate if needed.

Good luck

Angels in Reef

Angels in Reef

Hello
Copps has helped me with this issue. thanks to Copps I have no issue keeping angels in my purely SPS reef. Not one angel is nipping at my sps. Copps will tell you that angels are often misunderstood. They tend to nip at dying or unhealthy sps and leave the healthy SPS alone.

I once got rid of a bandit angel because I caught it nipping at a SPS. Well it turns out the SPS was not healthy.

Keep your sps healthy and feed your angels. They wont really care about the SPS.

I have the following angels at this time
Red sea emperor
false and true personifer
red sea regal
interuptus
bandit

Make sure your SPS are healthy first, once you are able to keep healthy SPS you can add any angels without issue

That's exactly what I noticed also. My butterfly's and angels only nip on dying sps, when the flesh is peeling.

Back