Anyone have home/renters insurance that covers Tanks??

Motoreefer

So my landlord finally saw my tank and to say she was surprised would be an understatement. I rent a home and there was nothing in the lease agrement about tanks. I feel I could ease her concerns if there was some kind of insurance I could purchase. Anybody have or have heard of this?

So my landlord finally saw my tank and to say she was surprised would be an understatement. I rent a home and there was nothing in the lease agrement about tanks. I feel I could ease her concerns if there was some kind of insurance I could purchase. Anybody have or have heard of this?

I've been wondering about this as well. I also rent a house, and while my landlord never actually comes inside when she's here to do work in the backyard (she lives in Norcal), I don't know how happy she'd be to see the tank... I've been making sure the tank lights are off and the curtains are closed the last few times she was here.

I got renter's insurance, though I haven't asked them about tanks.

From my understanding, most policies will cover any damage done by the tank, and cover any damage that might be done to the equipment, but won't cover the animals inside.

My landlords concern is covering any damage done by the tank. My girlfriend just spoke with AAA and they cover the tank but not the damage done by the tank. We have a meeting with the landlord this weekend to discuss this issue and would feel more confident if i came to the table with something that would cover damage done by the tank worst case scenario to put her at ease.

What about buying renter insurance??? However, make sure you talk to the insurance company about your situation because they might turn around and dispute otherwise.

I have renters insurance but I don't think my company covers it. I guess a lot of them don't. Its funny how they will cover the tank but not the damage.

Add flood to the policy. Tell them it's from a broken pipe. They don't need to know it's the pipe from your tank. hahaha!

hmm.. my homeowner insurance covers the damage, but not the tank itself nor the live stocks. I guess this is ok since the damage is usually more than the tank itself.

It looks like a reason renters insurance wouldn't cover damage would be that the owners have insurance that would cover such damage.

I imagine you can get a rider to cover it from just about anyone, though.

I have state farm insurance and believe it covers tank, hardware, and damage. They do not care about my livestock though.

What kind of damage do you anticipate from the tank? Is the worry about a massive leak?

I have a giant sump so I'm not worried about overflows... but if that 7.0 earthquake hits LA again and my rocks crack the glass tank.. DOOOOM...

need more epoxy putty..

I have a giant sump so I'm not worried about overflows... but if that 7.0 earthquake hits LA again and my rocks crack the glass tank.. DOOOOM...

need more epoxy putty..

This is why I have acrylic. One reason, anyway.

ya I wish i started on an acrylic tank.. would have been easier to drill too. But harder to keep clean and scratch free.

Thanks everybody. I'm still waiting to hear back from my agent. I'm going to shop around. I believe that it does exist at this point so I am relieved somewhat. As many tanks that are out there it would be hard to believe that it wouldn't

You should also find out if the homeowner's policy covers damage to the property from you or your pets or your aquarium. If so, then the landlord is covered. Some policies explicitly exclude things like aquariums or water-filled furniture.

Isn't that what your security deposit is for? You're guaranteeing the house be in the same general condition when you move out than it was when you moved in.

Back