Anyone know why reef fx Closed the doors

keto

Just as the title says , seems like it was doing good ? there where always people in there when I went in , this kinda suck the other somewhat reef store here in decatur wants 75 bucks for a bucket of Salt.....:fun5:

Yeah your telling me I use a Bucket every two weeks ...... guess ill be going online for salt now and getting like 4 at a time..

i have talked to dewayne he is not exactly closing up completely. he is going to be running his store out of his house in Oakley. I think the rent from that store was eating all the profits up. i am sure that forsyth commons since it is new was pretty high rent. I am not sure of the address of his house. it is out in the country i have been there once to get some stuff. he has a facebook page i know but other than that i am not really sure.

i have talked to dewayne he is not exactly closing up completely. he is going to be running his store out of his house in Oakley. I think the rent from that store was eating all the profits up. i am sure that forsyth commons since it is new was pretty high rent. I am not sure of the address of his house. it is out in the country i have been there once to get some stuff. he has a facebook page i know but other than that i am not really sure.

This is consistent with what he told me. He was keeping a list of all regular customers by email and phone and intended to do some communications with folks. He'll still be carrying inventory, doing frags, servicing tanks, etc.

He just won't be running a storefront.

I'm not sure what sorts of supplies he'll be carrying, but he may be able to pull some strings and leverage some decent pricing on stuff, especially if he gets group commitments.

I have his cellphone number and intend to keep in touch with him.

I'll let him know you guys were asking about him.

Like has already been written, the storefront was eating his lunch...plus he now has a fulltime job at one of the major manufacturers in town.

Chris

Flawed business plan from the start. Was a great shop- but a year into it it was obvious it was not going to make it. Dwayne is a great guy, and I hope the best for him.

by any chance will he be selling any of his stock tanks or anything like tht or is he
just movin it all to his house

Flawed business plan from the start. Was a great shop- but a year into it it was obvious it was not going to make it. Dwayne is a great guy, and I hope the best for him.

I will agree that Dewayne is a great guy. (my hunch is that he will be reading this thread)

A business plan is a journey, not a destination. He has made some changes in his business plan. He seems happy and healthy and so does his family...so good for all.

Here's what Dewayne sent to me via text message this morning for anyone interested in staying in touch with him:

1) send a friends invite on Facebook : missyb1962@aol.com or

2) send an email to dewayne@reeffx.com to get on his email list.

Chris

by any chance will he be selling any of his stock tanks or anything like tht or is he
just movin it all to his house

fb,

I'd suggest you contact Dewayne and have some dialogue directly.

He already did sell some of the tanks out of the shop and as far as I knew, still had some for sale on the store's final day before closing the doors.

I was glad we got to visit the store last year and meet Dewayne, his wife and kids while we were in Decatur and they all got to meet our Neapolitan Mastiff puppy Titus.

It is good to hear you are still going.

Thanks to Keto for bringing this up! I wound up getting to talk with Dewayne last night (as a result of this thread) for the first time since the storefront was shutting down.

Ironically, I was on my way to Logan's to get some frags, and was then going to swing by a LFS in pursuit of a pair of clowns. As luck would have it, Dewayne was just getting some stuff in his new digs set up and invited us by for a preview.

What I saw: Just as much tank space as Reef FX retail had in Forsyth. More corals at one time than I ever saw at the retail shop. Enough beautiful fish that I was tempted to load up on more than I came for. The same brands and types of staples: big buckets of salt, chemicals, supplements, treatments, supplies.

What I left with: a cleaner shrimp, my pair of clowns, a backup return pump that Dewayne made me a great deal on (used), and some of his own frozen Coral Creole - manufactured on site.

Thanks Dewayne and Melissa for opening the doors early.

My hunch is that if you want to check out the Saturday Grand Opening (which I learned of AFTER I got there at their place), you may want to get on the mailing list.

Chris

sorry if i sounded wrong in my statement Dwayne- I certainly would not want to hurt feelings. I think the way you are doing things now will be a much better plan. In 20 years in the business- retail and wholesale- I have never seen a specialty store whether it be Reef, reptiles, birds etc last in downstate illinois. The other items in a pet shop help pay for all the bills a retail outlet create. For example- just in crickets I would profit over 10k a year-20k for feeder rodents-15k for dog food- all items that would turn over weekly. That was my point- that with reef only- its just not doable in my opinion. and with you having such a great setup- knowlege- and friendly curtious nature- it kind of proves my point- if you can`t do it- who could? Good luck and as I said I ment no offense to you or your future plans.

got a idea why dont we hav a meet there since som of us are goin why not make it a meet ?????? possibility what u think dewayne like hang out and chill

Back