Anyone Thinking of Dumping LEDS and going back to Halides

I build my own custom LEDs. I added those wavelengths to aid in coloration and pigmentation.

IME:

Higher nm UV makes coral fluoresce - resulting in more pop (even under halide). This improves coloration (how they look).

Lower nm UV changes coral pigmentation - like tanning. This results in different actual tissue color (true color change).

Overall - great color and pop.

My point is that LED is just one more tool to use

without doubt a picture tells a thousand words, still I'm yet to see the results from led that T5 and halide have proven time and time again. surely after this many years of led we would be at the set forget stage?

Are there more issues than spectrum and light coverage ? What about heat at the coral surface ? What energy does heat carry to the coral ? T5 and halide emit heat, led almost nothing. We all know there's something missing no matter how hard we try to make led work. It has its place though, morning and night viewing it's great or for colour supplementation. It will be years and many totms before I use it as a main light.

When fixture makers find that missing ingredient, halide and t5 will disappear pretty quick. What 8 years of led and we still have halide and T5 fixtures being the choice for most SPS keepers. if LEDs were the answer this thread would belong gone, then again did T5 vs halide go for 8 years of debating ?

without doubt a picture tells a thousand words, still I'm yet to see the results from led that T5 and halide have proven time and time again. surely after this many years of led we would be at the set forget stage?

Are there more issues than spectrum and light coverage ? What about heat at the coral surface ? What energy does heat carry to the coral ? T5 and halide emit heat, led almost nothing. We all know there's something missing no matter how hard we try to make led work. It has its place though, morning and night viewing it's great or for colour supplementation. It will be years and many totms before I use it as a main light.

When fixture makers find that missing ingredient, halide and t5 will disappear pretty quick. What 8 years of led and we still have halide and T5 fixtures being the choice for most SPS keepers. if LEDs were the answer this thread would belong gone, then again did T5 vs halide go for 8 years of debating ?
T-5 vs MH debate still goes on, it is just not hostile anymore. Same for this MH bulb vs that MH bulb or this T-5 mix vs that T-5 mix. Lighting is such a preference item that trying to prove one is "best" is kind of silly.

Yeah, I dunno how many times a month I need to explain to people that LED's radiate heat.

metalhalidelampsfigure4.jpg

There may be something to the far IR heating effect of MH.. Wouldn't apply to t5 much though...

You'd have to measure the internal temp of corals to find out though..
Like the "quartz heater" effect..
Water complicates this though.. it is pretty good at sucking it up before reaching any life..

hale73.gif

Probably should scratch that one off the list.. ;)

A little more digging shows near IR and IR wavelengths can indeed punch down up to 10 meters in the ocean, @1m 50% is lost, so in our crystal clear tanks this maybe more? Either way it's making its way to the coral. In nature this would only be in shallow reefs though.

Well there's one way to find out, infrared light and LEDs test :)

I'm leaning on near IR 750 to 800nm

Last edited:
A little more digging shows near IR and IR wavelengths can indeed punch down up to 10 meters in the ocean, @1m 50% is lost, so in our crystal clear tanks this maybe more? Either way it's making its way to the coral. In nature this would only be in shallow reefs though.

Well there's one way to find out, infrared light and LEDs test :)

light.gif

an interesting read

http://www.livescience.com/43351-corals-trap-light.html

Near IR light being trapped and utilized for photosynthesis. So could near IR play apart in healthy SPS? When taking a look at some spectral graphs of T5 aquarium lights, you can see a small peak just after 700nm.

How much of a role is this small peak really playing ? Penetration into our aquarium, which is much much clearer than the ocean could be a factor. It looks like pure IR is stopped at the waters surface, but near IR which is still in the visible range.

It would appear that the OSLON SSL 80, 730 nm (far-red), led is what some of the top end led fixtures are using, and it could be more than just for visual purposes.

Last edited:
By the time that you put all of these missing spectrums into the mix, you will end up with a fixture that is the same wattage as a M80. Then, the IR will heat the tankwater and you need a chiller? Chaos! Are cats are going to start living with dogs next?

Does anybody else think that the "they look different, not better or worse" is akin to the argument that everybody is special and you get a trophy for trying? Of course, there is a better and worse... If you ain't first, then you are last.

IR seems similar to UV which loses punch fast in the water below 1M. Does anybody here have a tank that is more than 1M deep? ...so it could very much matter in our homes where a 30" deep tank is quite rare and most are 24" deep or less.

So jda better and worse aren't subjective but absolutes? That is a fascinating perspective. Everyone has opinions. I once applied an expensive Venetian plaster finish to the interior of a luxury home. I saw the man of the house inspecting the work and asked what he thought of it. He told me he was color blind but liked the apparent texture of the finish. His wife was the impetus behind the project and she loved the color. Was someone wrong there?

Oh ya, why does additional spectrum require additional wattage? You know you don't have to have a linear increase in power with spectrum when adding LEDs right?

Does anybody else think that the "they look different, not better or worse" is akin to the argument that everybody is special and you get a trophy for trying? Of course, there is a better and worse... If you ain't first, then you are last.

Since this was obviously ment for me I will answer. No it is not. Visually pleaseing is purely subjective. If it were absolut we would all be running the exact same lighting systems.

there is better and worse in lighting, and it is defined by "experts" in the field.... the food is better at Le Bernardin, NY than Burger King as defined by chefs, whether you like Burger King more is your opinion and that is fine. it is hard to find any "experts" that say LEDs are better than MH.

There is always better and worse. Everywhere. Without such, there is no desire and thus no demand and there would be no open/free market. This doesn't mean that everybody will be running the same systems, it means that some people like to tinker, some people like old things, some people don't know lights from shineola, some people like to be on the cutting edge, some people cannot afford what they want and all of the other gazillion scenarios that are out there today.

Does brown digi have better or worse looks than a Pearlberry? If anybody tries to say that it is subjective and in the eye of the beholder, then they probably need a mental exam. Borwn digi does not get a medal just for showing up. Neither do virtually all the LED tanks that I have ever seen with my own eyes. The few LED tanks that are close to getting a medal would be hall-of-fame with different lights.

Back