Anyone thinking twice about getting a generator? Stop thinking!

We have used a 5000 watt portable for the last 13 years, since hurricane Charlie in 2004 had our power out for 10 days. We had issues with it after hurricane Irma so we just ordered a new Briggs & Stratton 8000 watt and our local electric outfit LCEC (Lee County Electric Cooperative) will install a plug behind the meter so the generator can feed the entire house. We need to shut off circuit breakers to the A/C and electric stove but the rest of the house runs thru the normal circuit breakers. When the power comes back on, all I have to do is unplug the generator from the single plug. No need for an extra box or picking which 4, 6 8 or 10 circuits I want. In fact, I can turn everything else off and run the whole house A/C if I want.

I am thinking about a dual fuel generator, but is it necessary to get an inverter generator?

Only plan on running jebao powerhead and heater in case of outage.

I am thinking about a dual fuel generator, but is it necessary to get an inverter generator?

Only plan on running jebao powerhead and heater in case of outage.

I wouldn't worry about an inverter generator unless your power goes out for days at a time and you have very expensive DC pumps (Red Dragon or Abyzz etc).

I have a 5000kw portable for my house. I bought it when living in Michigan where we lost power once or twice a year due to falling tree limbs. Now I live in Colorado where all the powerlines are buried. The only way we lose power is if a car runs off the road into a transformer box or something happens to the substation.

We haven't lost power in the last year, although I know that is too short of a sample period. My wife has suggested we sell the generator as it is just taking up space in our garage, but I think I'm going to give it another year or two.

I have a 5000kw portable for my house. I bought it when living in Michigan where we lost power once or twice a year due to falling tree limbs. Now I live in Colorado where all the powerlines are buried. The only way we lose power is if a car runs off the road into a transformer box or something happens to the substation.

We haven't lost power in the last year, although I know that is too short of a sample period. My wife has suggested we sell the generator as it is just taking up space in our garage, but I think I'm going to give it another year or two.

You and I both know that selling the generator is playing right into the hand of fate. There will be a power failure the next day.

Survey the neighbors about power losses, or maybe theree is a local reef club to speak to.

Back