April 16th meeting -- GREAT guest speaker

George_G

The time and place of our April meeting is as follows:

Saturday, April 16, 1pm to 5pm

Place: Jarrett Famularo's Office
2876 Milburn Ave.
Baldwin, NY 11510

Program:

I have arranged to have an old friend of mine to be our guest speaker. Don't miss this opportunity to hear an extremely knowledgeable and entertaining speaker. Please check out his company web site, and his blogs that touch on a variety of scientific topics (links are below).

His name is Jonathan Matias, and here is the topic of his talk:

Marine aquaculture of seaweeds, eels, spiny lobsters, abalone and other unusual living things. A New Yorker's adventures (and misadventures) in SE Asia, Florida, Turks & Caicos, Ecuador, Chile and India.

"Over exploitation of the marine ecosystem for food, medicinal/industrial products and ornamental fishes has devastating effects worldwide. This, coupled with an ever increasing pollution of the marine environment, made harvesting of wild populations increasingly unsustainable. For this reason over 60% of the world marine harvest will have to come from sea farming. But, sea farming is an enterprise not for the feint hearted and filled with great adventures -- and misadventures, too. This presentation describes the ideas and the experiences that make marine aquaculture at Poseidon Sciences exciting and certainly memorable."

Jonathan R. Matias
Executive Director
POSEIDON SCIENCES GROUP

http://www.poseidonsciences.com/
http://poseidonsciences.scienceblog.com/

In addition, our own Julio Sanabria, and Piotr Kobeszko will present photos of their reef tanks.

George
--

Yay1.jpg

Our doors are open to guest who are interested in listening to our speaker, and meeting friendly reefing people. Also Jarrett has a 620 gal reef system in his office! Its a site to see!

Sounds good I'll be there! I miss all you guys it will be nice to see you all again finally and meet some of our new members.

Reminder, The meeting is on SATURDAY April 16, @ 1 PM

We'll have a guess speaker, and two member tank presentations as well as our auction of corals, supplies, and equipment.

See all in 11 days!!!

GREAT SPEACH Jonathan Matias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAD A GREAT TIME TODAY GUYS!!!!!!!!!
ALSO GREAT TO SEE ALL THE LIRA GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Jonathan Matias for your presentation.
Thanks to our member tank presenters
JCS for the presentation of his 28g reef
Piotr's presentation of his 75g reef

Overall we had a full house, even with this crappy weather. Thank you Jarrett for hosting the event at your place.

After the auction demostration of Kalk blasting of Aptasia. Thank you Triggerman for bringing a heavily Aptasia infected rock.

Thank you to Exclusive for bringing in your DIY LED and sharing your experience with us.
IMG01423-20110416-1646.jpg

Back