Are skimmer neck cleaners beneficial ?

ReefPharmer

I have a vertex neck cleaner on my skimmer and was watching it work the other day. It drops the crap back into the skimmer body. I realize that it's supposed to provide more stable skimming by cleaning the neck but if it's dropping the junk back into the skimmer, is it actually helping ?

If I didn't have it, I would clean the cup more often, removing the neck buildup .

Ps I realize there are more expensive neck cleaners but avast, reef octo and vertex are all about the same and work similarly.

I've always been skeptical that they do anything more than put a hole in your wallet and just offer some "cool toy" factor....

By your own admission you seem to be implying that you would be removing more buildup from the tank if you didn't have one.. That says no...

I think the intention behind what they can potentially do might be ok but the actual implementation of the technology is inferior..

They are beneficial sure, but nothing that you can't do with a little labor. Kind of like auto water change systems

Just a time saver. If you set it to rotate more frequently maybe more of the crap will overflow the cup instead of building up on the side of the cup, but you make a good point.

What ends up happening is it spins 3 times a day, keeping the neck relatively clean. The problem is that the “gunk” sticks to the actual cleaner and it falls back into the skimmer as it gets overgunked. I generally take it out once a month and wash it off but that’s enough time for it to build half inch of thickness of gunk, plus what broke off back into the skimmer.

What ends up happening is it spins 3 times a day, keeping the neck relatively clean. The problem is that the "œgunk" sticks to the actual cleaner and it falls back into the skimmer as it gets overgunked. I generally take it out once a month and wash it off but that's enough time for it to build half inch of thickness of gunk, plus what broke off back into the skimmer.

Skim wetter.. That will reduce the amount of gunk on the wiper arm as well as the neck and lid. :thumbsup:

I wonder how negatively it affects the flow of foam as the cleaner is blocking off part of the neck. Would think that ruptures bubbles etc.

The neck cleaner has been a benefit for me. Once your neck “gunks” up the skimmer does not produce as well.

Back