ASM Skimmer Club!

Do any of you guys have an airmeter to measure how much air your pumps are pulling? These sedras seem to suck when it comes to air draw.I have been doing a lot of reading on several threads discusing mods for various pumps. Seems that all the sedras are the most unworthy skimmer pumps around.I have yet to see anyone get over 30 scfh out of any of the larger models.

I cant see how poeple are actually spending money to upgrade to the sedra 15000 when there are way better pumps out there for the same price or less.

I've been using my G2 since around 2005 or so.. and still in use today! Prior to that, the guy I bought it from has been using it for maybe about a year. The only thing I need to replace once every 3 months is the mesh itself because it disintegrates overtime.

Hello every one i've missed alot. I was wondering what was best mesh yall found to do the mod?? I really want to do this to my G3 thanks for any help :)

Re: Skimmer mod

Re: Skimmer mod

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12252902#post12252902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Safedad
I am upgrading from a 55 to a 90 gal. I would like to do the recirc mod in that transition. The one step that I am not sure is at the existing input from the pump. I understand drilling a new hole and putting a uniseal or some other connector lower down on the skimmer body. Do most people drill out the existing hole to get the inlet inside the body? I want to use the "uber" skimmer concept and turn the inlet down towards the bottom and then have the bubble flow up through a baffle.
Thanks,
Bob
Can some one point me to ASM owners/threads that are interested in and have knowledge regarding the recirc mod?
Thanks

TheNomadRhodes

The best mesh to use is Enkamat pf4.You can get some on ebay for cheap.Just do a search for enkamat.

Safedad
Not sure what your talking about.Are you looking to do the mods to your G3?If you are then this is the thread you are looking for.Problem is this thread has split about 6 times already,so all the modification pages are on other splits.You can go to www.asmskimmer.com to see pics and info on how to do the mods.

I just received my new G3. I don't even have my tank yet from glasscages, but I went ahead and put it in an ice chest of water and plugged it in. I hope this will start the break in process. Who knows!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12303182#post12303182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishingpcola
I just received my new G3. I don't even have my tank yet from glasscages, but I went ahead and put it in an ice chest of water and plugged it in. I hope this will start the break in process. Who knows!

If you wanna break it in,make sure you have it running in saltwater.Not sure how much its going to help,since the skimmer wont have much to skim.

Mod for Calcium Reactor

Mod for Calcium Reactor

Has anyone ever done modes to hookup a calcium reactor? Similiar to what an Aqua C has on it.
Thanks

Will a G2 be O.K. for a 120G mixed reef? I plan on modding it with gate, mesh and direct recirc.

I have a baffled 30G sump with one of the overflows going to the recir G2 and the other going to the fuge (10"x12") the center section is for the return.

Stingything: When you did your recirc mod, did you cut of the existing connection for the pump and replace it with a larger hole and uniseal? I have the gate valve mod (really handy) and have replaced the impellar pins with mesh.
SirToppemHat: I have a G3 on a 55 and am upgrading to a 90. I got the G3 with this in mind. If you don't have many fish or a high bio load, you should be fine with a G2 and recirc mod.
Thanks,
Bob

Well I did the mesh mod on my g3 and well don't waste your time with it, it was about the lamest thing I've done in a long time. it slowed the pump down hurt foam production by about a good 45% and made my Sedra 5ooo sound like a ww1 fighter plane.
I had allot of hope for this mod but it was a big let down.... So now I have to buy another 150 dollar pump... really sucks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12327891#post12327891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheNomadRhodes
Well I did the mesh mod on my g3 and well don't waste your time with it, it was about the lamest thing I've done in a long time. it slowed the pump down hurt foam production by about a good 45% and made my Sedra 5ooo sound like a ww1 fighter plane.
I had allot of hope for this mod but it was a big let down.... So now I have to buy another 150 dollar pump... really sucks

you did something wrong:-/
i have 2 asmg4x running one modded and one not and the modded ones riser tube has to be at least a inch lower than the none modded one to keep from filling with water and it still out skims the standard impeller

I took some Before and after pics after I get home to night i'll post them
maybe I do some thing wrong any one mind giving me some ideas ?

Last edited:
did you use zip ties or fishing line? how many layers?
also most say use a killawatt to see if you drawing more juice?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12328246#post12328246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by little_squid
did you use zip ties or fishing line? how many layers?
also most say use a killawatt to see if you drawing more juice?

Zip ties and 3 layers. of the pf4.

the prob with zip ties is they are heavy and throw off the ballance on the impeller use 10lbs test line and that issue will be gone:)

Hm. Well noise aside its pumping less water when I turned the skimmer on the lever came a little more then half up the skimmer body..
I ad to really adjust the riser tube to get the lever up.

guess i am lucky to have two of the same skimmer and only modded one to see the difference

prob can say yes the modded one prob does push a little less water than the stock one but must be pulling more air in cause if not then the riser on the modded skimmer should have to be higher than the non modded one right?? but not the case for me!

so i must ask before the mod where would the riser be for you to get a full cup in 2 days? ( i like wet skimming so try to fill both cups in at the least 2 days)
and after you change to fishing line see where the riser needs to be at that point:)

right now my g4x non mod riser is up right below the collection cup

the modded one is right at the ring of the neck

Back