ASM Skimmer Club!

man, I emptied mine this morning....let me tell ya, it was FOUL!! I tried to get my wife to smell it :) she almost hit me!
janson

I just picked one up(G-2)with the gate and recirculation mods already done.I had the skimmer adjusted to half way up the neck but kept getting a surge every once in a while that would fill the cup with water.I changed my plumbing to to a T at the bottom of the overflow pipe.One feeding a reverse durso with a filter sock,the other the skimmer.Both now have ball valves on them.
Last night I noticed that my cup was yet again filled with water.No where near what it was before I fixed the plumbing but still full of water.The skimmer has been set up since Sunday,so 3 days in service.I adjusted the water level to just above the cone for now.I have a very low bioload and just set up this sump that doubled my water volume.So much of the water is newly mixed(only a couple weeks old).I'm also wondering if it's possible to by a spare velute?I oticed a small crack in this and would like to replace or get a spare just incase.
Thanks.......from another new club member

I don't really have that info bladerunner.
Did you see the pictures in my gallery?
If there isn't one I'll put one there.I just did a 70 gallon stock tank sump and plumbed in the skimmer to the overflow pipe Sunday.

I am thinking of purchasing a ASM G4x for my 260G w/75G sump, so roughly a little over 300G of water volume. With this skimmer handle the water volume okay?

Here's a picture

Here's a picture

It's sitting in a 70 gallon Stock tank sump.
A little much for a 55 gallon,but I plan to upgrade sometime in the future.I'll try to get a tape down across it tonight.You can see that the body is filled with bubbles and it's odd,the top spins one direction and the botton the opposite direction.

16301603-31-08_newskim.jpg
:cool:

had to shut down system for water change, when I turned it back on I messed with the ajustment tube for a while and today a day later my g2 (w/ no mods) is starting to work really nice!

hi

i know the asm g3 skimmer height is 24" tall and i also know the asm g4x skimmer height suppose is 30"tall.

now i got a g3 skimmer but the exact height is only 23.5 " +0.25 " space to remove the lid. now i want to upgrade to g4x. the problem is the height from sump base to the stand ceiling is only 29.75"tall.
so i'm thinking is it the g4x exact height is only 29.5"+ 0.25" (to remove the lid)=29.75" . if yes, that means i can upgrade my skimmer. even i need tiny a little bit taller than 29.75. let say is 29.8 or 29.85", i don't mind to use sand paper to make it thinner to make it fit in my stand.

anybody is using g4x now and can measure the exact height for me and is it 0.25" to lift up the lid.

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12237282#post12237282 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bladeruner143
Hey Stingythingy45, can you tell me what the footprint of the skimmer is with the mods done on the G2?

The way mine is in the picture it takes up 19" x 19".
But if you turn the gate valve mode towards the pump side you could get away with 19" x 12" i'm sure.

Thanks for the pic stingythingy! Wow, I knew it woul dincrease the footprint but I didn't know it would increase it THAT much! lol

I have a question. If you had a gx4+ with a 15000 sedra recir pump and you had a 9000 sedra and a 3500 sedra that you were not using would you use the 3500 or the 9000 as a feeder pump I'm going to use one I just dont know which one I want to use.

Skimmer mod

Skimmer mod

I am upgrading from a 55 to a 90 gal. I would like to do the recirc mod in that transition. The one step that I am not sure is at the existing input from the pump. I understand drilling a new hole and putting a uniseal or some other connector lower down on the skimmer body. Do most people drill out the existing hole to get the inlet inside the body? I want to use the "uber" skimmer concept and turn the inlet down towards the bottom and then have the bubble flow up through a baffle.
Thanks,
Bob

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12249909#post12249909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RickD1
I have a question. If you had a gx4+ with a 15000 sedra recir pump and you had a 9000 sedra and a 3500 sedra that you were not using would you use the 3500 or the 9000 as a feeder pump I'm going to use one I just dont know which one I want to use.

For one the G-4X and the G-4+ are 2 different skimmers.Either way I would not use the sedra 9000 to feed the skimmer with.It is to much flow for a feed pump.Imo go with the sedra 3500 for the feed pump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12254117#post12254117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alpine
For one the G-4X and the G-4+ are 2 different skimmers.Either way I would not use the sedra 9000 to feed the skimmer with.It is to much flow for a feed pump.Imo go with the sedra 3500 for the feed pump.

Doesn't the asm g4+ feed the skimmer with a 9000 sedra in normal operation im going to use a needle wheel just like it would be set up new but I want to add the 15000 as a recirculating pump. do you think this will be too much???

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12256375#post12256375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RickD1
Doesn't the asm g4+ feed the skimmer with a 9000 sedra in normal operation im going to use a needle wheel just like it would be set up new but I want to add the 15000 as a recirculating pump. do you think this will be too much???

Thanks

anyone done this?????????

RickD1

I have a g4+ and I think that would be way to much air for the skimmer to handle.It would probaly be fine if the body was a lot taller.

Not sure how your 9000 will perform,but mine pulls 14-16 scfh.Not sure how much air the 15000 will pull.Would be nice if someone with a 15000 & an air meter could post some readings.

I think useing these sedra pumps is a serious waste of energy and time.I am dieing to find a replacement pump for mine.I think a mesh modded gen-x 4100 would be the perfect pump.It has a lower wattage then the sedra,and can pull way more air then the 9000 could ever hope to.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12209727#post12209727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ricwilli
Is anyone running ther asm g3 with a Sedra 9000 Pump? If so, how is it working for you? Do you see an improvement?

Any one ?????

Back