Background paint

Clownman, sorry, that's not my tank. I should have stated that image is just an example of a shadow box from the net.

Or what I am trying to do now is let the back glass get covered in green star polyps. I think that would be awesome looking. Has anybody here done that? CuzzA, your tank probably looks better than that anyway.

Here's an RC DIY of a shadow box. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

Hmm, this thread got me thinking how to do it with a top/back wall overflow box and I found this pic. I wonder if I could make the overflow boxes appear to be the top of a overhang by adhering some rock to the face of it and doing a shadow box or printed vinyl background to get an effect like this. I think this could be pretty cool. Time to pull out the legal pad and pencil and put some ideas on paper. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• swim-through-exit1.jpg
    swim-through-exit1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you have a Michael's near you, they have thin cardboard that is blue or black in color. That's what I use and use 2-sided tape to put it on and just cut it to size. It's only $3.

+1 on this. We have that on the 120 currently, and you can't tell any difference in it or a painted one. We are looking at the shadow box for the new 150 going in though. All depends on how crafty the GF is. ;-)

here's an rc diy of a shadow box. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

hmm, this thread got me thinking how to do it with a top/back wall overflow box and i found this pic. I wonder if i could make the overflow boxes appear to be the top of a cave by adhering some rock to the face of it and doing a shadow box or printed vinyl background to get an effect like this. I think this could be pretty cool. Time to pull out the legal pad and pencil and put some ideas on paper. :)

attachment.php

that is bad a##!!

Yeah, I think the challenge will be trying to make it look more like a pass through separating two reefs rather than a cave. A cave would be dark and not have corals in it and would make the entire illusion flawed.

Some lace corals hanging from the rock/box would be cool too.

Just wanted to say that I called a custom vinyl sticker/sign shop and they sold me just the vinyl. Which I used for the background of the tank and the sides (to cover up the back of the AIO).

Just wanted to say that I called a custom vinyl sticker/sign shop and they sold me just the vinyl. Which I used for the background of the tank and the sides (to cover up the back of the AIO).

So are you putting it on the inside of the tank?

Id like to say its easy to apply, well its easy to apply but to get it to right without any bubbles is a bit tricky. The place I got it from is called Cutting Edge on 49th st. It was $14 for a 30" x 24" sheet.

plasti dip was pretty terrible, tried it today. Also tried a latex based paint, also pretty terrible. Both were easily removed, thank goodness. I've always used fusion, no clue why I tried something different.

Just go to Lowe's and get a cheap can of spray paint in the color you want and be done with it....once you get it against the wall and water in it and Coraline growing in the back glass you will soon forget about the back paint...

Back