Bali picasso x ORA picasso breeding

Hi,
How long does it take for different crossbred clowns to reach saleable size?
What would be optimum saleable size?
I have read that ocellaris they grow out to slow.
Could y'all shed more light on growth period of different clown species especially crossbreds.

Thanks.

Hi,
How long does it take for different crossbred clowns to reach saleable size?
What would be optimum saleable size?
I have read that ocellaris they grow out to slow.
Could y'all shed more light on growth period of different clown species especially crossbreds.

Thanks.
Quick answers:

These are not cross-bred. The are both percula clowns.

Optimum saleable size depends on the type of clown. For example. Onyx clowns take a long time to color up, therefore their saleable size is larger.

Ocellaris grow fast compared to percula.

Growth period ranges dramatically bason ed different variables such as tank conditions and how much food they are fed. Some people like to feed a lot, and the babies get big quick, but if not careful many of the babies have defects due to poor water quality typically a result of the extra feeding. Flared gills is an example of these defects.

Can I mix types of clownfish?

Can I mix types of clownfish?

I have two questions, actually.

I had a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and one recently died. Do I need to pair my clownfish with another ocellaris, or can I get a Darwin or a Wyoming White?

Second question... We were thinking of getting another tank, dedicated to just clownfish. Can we buy several different types and put them all together in one tank? If so, do I need to buy them in pairs - two ocellaris, two darwins, etc.?

I have two questions, actually.

I had a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and one recently died. Do I need to pair my clownfish with another ocellaris, or can I get a Darwin or a Wyoming White?

Second question... We were thinking of getting another tank, dedicated to just clownfish. Can we buy several different types and put them all together in one tank? If so, do I need to buy them in pairs - two ocellaris, two darwins, etc.?

To answer...

1. If you want to breed I would stick to Occ., but you can certainly do different Occ. designer breeds such as a naked and a snowflake. Just look up the designer type you want and then see if it's an Occ. Personally I would stick to the same species regardless.

2. Look up the BRS Clown Harem tank, the thread on here called 27 clowns in 27 months by Mobert, and check out the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. It is doable but basically you will want one batch of the same type of clowns added all at once, ie one batch of Occ. misbars. You should pretty much never have two pairs in the same tank. Some people have made it work but they are the 1%.

To answer...

2. Look up the BRS Clown Harem tank, the thread on here called 27 clowns in 27 months by Mobert, and check out the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. It is doable but basically you will want one batch of the same type of clowns added all at once, ie one batch of Occ. misbars. You should pretty much never have two pairs in the same tank. Some people have made it work but they are the 1%.

That is a great thread! Loved reading it and the pictures are awesome. Thanks!

Just a quick update. These babies are at 30 days old. The patterns take a lot longer to develop compared to my doni's but these are coming along nicely.

Last edited:
Caught these 2 hanging at the surface. These are starting to develop really nice. The patterns are starting to look excellent.

Right now it's a 20g Nuvo that's been running for 1 year or so. I have about 30 babies in there. I change out 5 gallons every 2 days. Have a small reactor for biopellets and also have some chaeto in another chamber. I have an IM midsize skimmer. I had to buy the fishguards as the babies tend to get into the back chambers.

Thank you. A few months ago, I also tried to raise fry from my doni's clownfish. I'm looking forward to seeing how these guys compare in pattern and shape. The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that these bali/ora patterns take longer to develop. Also, the bali have a deeper orange color that is very nice. Here are photos from my doni's babies.

Those are some great looking clowns! I was recently looking for a female to pair up with my male I would have gladly given you my money. I can't wait to see how the Bali/doni clowns turn out. Keep up the good work.

I'm getting a lot of nice looking babies from this pair. Shape is great, coloration is really deep orange, and patterns are excellent. I will try to breed another batch in August.

Back