Breeding and Raising True Percula Clownfish

Jamie1210

Since we've been stuck at home during Covid, I decided to put my extra time to good use by taking on a project that Tri and I worked on together when we first met: breeding clownfish! This time around, he's too busy with his freshwater tanks, so I'm on my own. (Plecos over raising clownfish?? Oh, c'MON!)

Some background
We first started this back in 2010, when my pair of true perculas first spawned. They are wild-caught, originally bought from Reefhotspot (remember them?!) back in 2007. This is what the pair looked like back in 2010:
Ls8oPSd.jpg

Now fast forward to 10 years later, and they're still going strong :) They upgraded from BTAs to carpet anemones. They now live in theirgigantea carpet anemones.

The happy couple today. Interestingly, the papa clown became full onyx (likely due to the gigs), and the black on the mama clown deepened too

WyBwP64h.jpg

Taking care of eggs. They lay eggs about every 2 weeks. Larvae hatch at Day 8.
qElUWQBh.jpg

Hatch night!
k0pew0xh.jpg

We have day old larvae!

LMN8mvmh.jpg

1st batch hatched on 11/24. They are now over a month old and have their 1st headstripe in. Here are just a few of them
4l3Lflbh.jpg

Anyways, enjoy the pics! Will keep this thread updated as the clowns develop. I'm currently working on Batch #2, which hatched on 12/20.

1 week old larvae from 12/20
CFKuuIeh.jpg

I can adopt a pair when they are ready, I just setup a nem tank lol
1c11acbab87b3c41173063f1eec5c352.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Awesome job. Those wild caught true perc are really nice. Please put me down for a pair when ready.

Nice thread and great looking clowns!! I’ve always loved perculas over the other kinds.
I’ll be interested in a pair as well for when my tank is ready!!

Very nice Jamie...congrats on all those babies. Wen ready, put me down for a pair also. Maybe we can trade as i have banggai cards that have babies in my tank periodically.

Awesome job, prefer wild caught Perculas to all the other morphs around today. I'd be interested in a pair later down the line too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Great job! Used to look for those wild onyxs and have had a few pairs but never long enough to get eggs. Fond memories of going to fish stores and finding wild specimens. Reefhotspot was great I got most of my Leuks there.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone!

I can adopt a pair when they are ready, I just setup a nem tank lol
1c11acbab87b3c41173063f1eec5c352.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

OMG, you're running a CSB factory!!

Nice thread and great looking clowns!! I've always loved perculas over the other kinds.
I'll be interested in a pair as well for when my tank is ready!!

Thank you! I think the run of the mill regular true percs get kind of lost in today's culture of designer clowns.

Very nice Jamie...congrats on all those babies. Wen ready, put me down for a pair also. Maybe we can trade as i have banggai cards that have babies in my tank periodically.

You have banggai cardinals?!? I tried to keep them for a bit, but I couldn't for the life of me differentiate between male/female. Everyone beat each other up, and I ended up getting rid of them :( Have you ever tried raising them?

Nice clown and gig. Tell Tri to stop messing with plecos and get a big tank for saltwater.

Yeah, I think we're losing him ... :(

Awesome job, prefer wild caught Perculas to all the other morphs around today. I'd be interested in a pair later down the line too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

It's a topsy turvy subject. On one hand, I am grateful that there are so many captive bred clown varieties. On the other hand, I miss seeing the natural beauty of WC's.

Great job! Used to look for those wild onyxs and have had a few pairs but never long enough to get eggs. Fond memories of going to fish stores and finding wild specimens. Reefhotspot was great I got most of my Leuks there.

RHS was SO AWESOME!! Max used to bring in so many wild onyx clowns. I saw and bought my first gigantea there :) Do you still have your leuks?

Move over Doni. Jaime is taking over.

Doni's picasso's were really nice. Those are some big shoes to fill :)

Actually, I was so inspired by her purple haddoni, that I when I saw one for sale a couple years ago, I snatched it up. After a few years in my tank though, I suspect it may be one of those gigantea-haddoni hybrids.

wVaek1eh.jpg

Back