Picasso and True Perc laying eggs- rookie help for hatchery setup

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu995%3A%3Enu%3D49%3A2%3E8%3B4%3E237%3EWSNRCG%3D45426%3B4757328nu0mrj

Using a chisel and a hammer, I was able to break off the chunk of rock seen above with 90% of the eggs on it!

It really went well and I think the eggs weren't exposed to air. Time will tell but I am shocked how well it went. I just wasn't in for sucking the little guys up again!

JIM

This is great timing. My Rods Onyx pair clutch is about ready to hatch. They have laid eggs before, but like some of you I am thinking I should learn how to raise them:) Thanks!

Are you sure the eggs are constantly in motion from the air?

Looks like you could see my future. I place them almost on top of the airstone, yet all of them turned white got the fungus and died.... Everything went so perfect and I thought I would have 100 to care of and now I have 2 AGAIN. Super upset and ready to give up!

JIM

When the eggs turn white, it means they're dead. It doesn't necessarily mean that they died because of a fungus.

Best best bet is to leave the eggs where the parents laid them. This will allow the male to care for the eggs up until they hatch. He will keep them clean and clear of fungus, and will keep them properly aerated.

The next step will be to collect the hatched fry, and then move them to another tank for grow out. Give the fish trap another go.

Dont give up, it can be fusturating but you will get it, everyone has their own way that works for them, you will find your way. I would also try the trap again, couldnt hurt. The longer the parents care for the eggs the better.

I found it to be most effective to take the eggs out of the parent tank the evening before they hatch and place them into the larva tank. You just need to make sure to provide enough turbulence at the eggs to keep the aerated and aide the larva hatch. Coarse bubbles are best for this (tough I always pointed the circulation pump outlet on them).

I found it to be most effective to take the eggs out of the parent tank the evening before they hatch and place them into the larva tank. You just need to make sure to provide enough turbulence at the eggs to keep the aerated and aide the larva hatch. Coarse bubbles are best for this (tough I always pointed the circulation pump outlet on them).

What do you mean by circulation pump? You have a powerhead on the tank. How can you make sure that it doesn't suck up fry?
Thanks,
JIM

The tank had a compartment for pump, heater and skimmer. It was separated by a fine mesh (forgot which grid size).
The larva compartment was octagonal and had a capacity of about 100 liter.
The pump set the water into rotation.
The design worked to eliminate dead corners but a good percentage of the larva would still hang out on the glass. As I said before, clownfish larva are quite excellent swimmers.
Another advantage is that all the waste collects in the center of the tank where it can easily be removed.

It also worked for marine bettas.

Back