Bare-bottom Before/After Photos...

Imagine how happy those tangs were in that algae infested paradise ;)
GReat looking tank, I'm sure your students love it! Do you teach around it at all, or is it just for enjoyment?
Aaron

fakename - yes, i use the reef as a teaching tool throughout the year - it provides endless example of biological concepts.

cougaran - I had the yellow tang for over a year before the hippo - the yellow was very aggressive towards it for about a month, then it finally gave in and now they are friends! Personally, I like my Kole tang the best!

I don't see any "racks" to hold the live rock and coral off the bottom as some suggest. I am thinking of going barebottom and am not sure if the racks are needed and/or helpful. Any thoughts?

Wow, what a diffrence,... How much time passed before the "sand" and "no sand" picutes?

Garymcgrath, I cut up a plastic coat hanger, drilled holes in my bottom rocks and used the coat hanger as pegs to keep the rock up a little. This works very well and is a lot easer to hide. I am very glad I did it because it makes my rockwork more stable.

Thanks,
Whiskey

Very nice tank, indeed. My son would love to have a tank like that in his classroom!

I noticed there is some type of diffuser on one of the powerheads--can you explain what that is, whether you like it (I'm assuming yes), and where I can get them?!

Thanks,
Steve

The rotating devices are widely avaiable on most popular reefing web-stores - look in the wavemaking categories - they are like $13 - and yes I like the a lot. They cut down on some of the flow, but the benefit is excellent.

No racks under my rocks - on the glass!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6483448#post6483448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by garymcgrath
Wiskey,
Great idea! How deep did you drill and how long do the "legs" stick out?

I used a cheap macenry bit (rock was very easy to drill) I drilled about 1/2 inch in, put super glue on the pegs then shoved them in, being carefull not to let the rock dry. The pegs stick out 1/8 to 1/2 inch, I used 3 pegs per rock so they don't rock (no pun intended) and how far the pegs stuck out was deturmined by how I wanted the rock to sit.

100_6380.jpg

Thanks,
Whiskey

Triggerfish - In response to your comment, before I was doing water changes FREQUENTLY and harvesting algae daily - nothing I could do to get on top of the situation. After removal of my sand (and I had the whole cleaning crew thing going on - always buying clean-up crews) the algae dissappeared (at least 90% of it), water cleared up, most importantly much easier to maintain.

Again, this is my personal experience backed by photo documentation. I have (we all have) seen amazing systems with sand beds - I am not debating the merits of DSB's. Considering my situation (classroom tank), going bare bottom was the best thing I have done.

This coral was almost dead before removal of my sand bed:
49365mini-tricolor.jpg

About Summer vacation - I visit the tank every 10 days or so...I always have business at the school anyway - I am the dept chair, so I have budget responsibilities, curricula to tend to, chemical storage to deal with, yadda yadda.......any excuse to play with my REEF!!!!

xinumaster - I wet skim a lot, while I am with my tank, I wet skim like no tomorrow, at night I dial it down to very dark to prevent floods. My collection container is a 5 gallon bucket that I empty every other day (not always full btw)

i think i missed it ...but how old was the DSB?
it looked very very clean.
no diatoms,dinos,ciano, on the bottom or glass, just hair on the rocks.

Last edited:
Back