Bare-bottom Before/After Photos...

For those of you needed battle with algae in a DSB system, how long from the initial setup did it take for the algea problem to be out of control? Did you have to battle from the beginning?

I just setup my 120g tank two months ago with two separate DSBs in the 20g sump, and 2" sand bed in the main tank for my yellow coris wrasse. Had the inital several cycles of bad algea growth both in the tank and the sump but now only macroalgea are growing in the sump, and my main tank is free of visible algea. I do have cleaning crew in the main tank.

I haven't started to siphon the fish waste in the main tank yet, and there is a lot of it, but there is still no sign of algea problem to emerge yet. In fact I have to feed my fish formular 2 now because they have run out of algea to feed in the tank.

How long do you guys with DSB experience believe my current condition will last? I am taking a not-broken-don't-fix-it approach for now but like to know what to expect down the road.

Man I love that fish! I thought your tank was mainly sps but it looks like you have some zoos as well. My tank is going to be mainly a softy/lps tank so still not sure if I want to trust one or not. You got yours for a pretty good price. Did you get it online?

First of all this is not a DSB it's a SSB(shallow) you look like you have 1" or 2" sand bed... Then, I think you had major algea because you did'nt have any flow, you added the Powerheads after you went BB. I also think that a DSB or SSB is less work then a BB

I was kind of headed where toxqc was. I was really trying to figure out what triggered the difference. From the last picture, it was clearer that this wasn't a dsb to start with, but I was wondering about the timing of adding the phosban reactor (partly because I'm thinking about one), increased waterflow, etc.

fwiw, I run ssb in three of my systems, so I'm not picking a side here, I'm just trying to pick some things here that may have made a big difference that I can give some thought to. I would also be curious to know how long the dsb was in place and if it was seeded at all. Just looking for things to help myself and anyone else looking through this and similar threads to make their own decisions.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6490489#post6490489 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PITSTOP
gently mix the sand with my bare hand

how deep into the bed did you go? anything beyond very top layer could produce problems..
what was the tanks PO4 levels?

i also really liked the first example with the macros. in fact, i liked it better.

i'd gladly grow that in my tank if i could (minus the toxic caulerpa).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6491435#post6491435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by toxqc
First of all this is not a DSB it's a SSB(shallow) you look like you have 1" or 2" sand bed... Then, I think you had major algea because you did'nt have any flow, you added the Powerheads after you went BB. I also think that a DSB or SSB is less work then a BB

Come on now the trim rim on that tank is 1" and more likely 1.5". He has at least 3 " in there maybe 4". No one is asking that you like BB tanks, he is just saying he likes that method better for his needs.

I'm just tryin to get a handle on some of the before and after facts. I'm just trying to see what changed besides just removing the sand, however deep it was.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6491525#post6491525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralnut99
I was kind of headed where toxqc was. I was really trying to figure out what triggered the difference. From the last picture, it was clearer that this wasn't a dsb to start with, but I was wondering about the timing of adding the phosban reactor (partly because I'm thinking about one), increased waterflow, etc.

fwiw, I run ssb in three of my systems, so I'm not picking a side here, I'm just trying to pick some things here that may have made a big difference that I can give some thought to. I would also be curious to know how long the dsb was in place and if it was seeded at all. Just looking for things to help myself and anyone else looking through this and similar threads to make their own decisions.

I just made the same conversion and heres what I've learned.

It really come down to flow, and it a BB tank its 100% easier to get the flow you need to keep detritus from building up. My 280 looks like a hot tub, theres no way I could of gotten that flow in my old 125 DSB. In either system if you can get detritus out before it breaks down you'll be successful. That being said between the water clarity and ease of operation I am much happier BB.

Do you have measurable po4?

My tank (explained above) has minimal flow, provided by my return pump only at maybe 600gph. I don't even have any liverock, it is FO (but lighted with MH) overstocked with fish already, yet still no visible algae and water clarity went through a similar cycles of cloudy/clear when the bad algae were cycling, now it is crystal clear.

The only thing I can attribute to the success is either the DSBs or the macroalgae in my sump or the combination of both. but since DSB takes nearly 6 months to fully mature, can macroalgae have such a big impact? I haven't even harvested any macroalgae yet but they are lighted 24/7 and appear to have good growth.

I am a little concerned reading some many bad things about DSB these days, hoping my good tank condition is not just a temporary thing. I do plan to introduce corals at some point since the system is reef-ready.

Pitstop - I know what you mean about the grape-like caulerpa - that stuff is horrible, I've been fighting it ever since I got a small piece on a frag and it started spreading. You can go over every piece with a tweezers and still the roots will start a new strand, and it grows faster than anything else I've seen.

Not to be rude guys, but maybe you could squabble in your own thread instead of filling this one with rhetorical Sand bed VS. bare bottom comments :rolleyes:

I thought for a DSB to work you're not supposed to stir it. You mentioned stirring it up once a week picking away any algae.
The way I understand one is supposed to leave the sand alone and let it sort itself out?
Don't you upset the various layers of bacteria which are the whole reason for a DSB???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6490578#post6490578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PITSTOP
Maybe so...

All I know is that with my bare bottom system I am not battling anything - just pure straightforward maintenance, which was my goal all along.

Instead of solving the next problem/issue, I can concentrate on water changes, simple cleanings and colorful SPS.

The lesson I am taking away from this is: If I were going to recommend an approach for taking care of a reef tank in a classroom, I would recommend bare bottom. IMHO easier to maintain and you do not have to spend $$$ on LS, or cleaning crews.

Come on, lemme hear the rebuttles!!! ;-)

The tank looks great !:thumbsup:

I went through the same exact situation , it's funny how certain individuals can't get over the fact BB do work and work well .;)

There's actually a very nice thread on DSB's going on that could use new participants... might wanna take a look at it guys ;) And I mean whoever wants to talk about DSB's working or not.

I think it looks nice both before and after. I'm currently getting ready to tear down my BB tank and redo the flow. Hopefully my tank will end up looking like your after shots.

As far as the macros go, I had some gorgeous macros also for a while. But like you, I eventually got some pest algaes that outcompeted (razor calpura and some dinoflagualites). And then it starts to be a real pain.

Back