beer thread

I'm surprised how many people around here brew their own beer.
Anyways- I don't. I just like to taste it :)

My recent fav is Sam Adams Oktoberfest but I can't find it anymore. I'll admit that my search has been limited to the grocery stores in my immediate area. Are there places that might carry Sam's Oktoberfest year 'round or is it truly just a seasonal offering?

It is usually just a seasonal thing I've found. I enjoy the Oktoberfest as well. Hopefully somone else has some better news! Anyhow, I personally have been on a Guiness kick lately :)

octoberfest is one of my favs also Gary. I'm just getting into brewing and have found some recipes that clone some of my favorite beers ill have to search around and see if there is something close to it

I just ordered a bunch of ingredients. I haven't brewed since before my "little trip" to NJ. I'm looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe - selection in even the better grocery stores leaves something to be desired.

The final tipping point was buying a 12-pack sampler from Magic Hat. I guess it's their Winter sampler. The only brew I recognized in it was Number 9, which I'm not a huge fan of. I figured if that was the worst beer in there I'd be happy.

After tasting one of each of the other three brews, I have to sadly report that Number 9 was my FAVORITE of the four. :(

Gary, I used to work for a beer company. Sam Adams has the 4 seasonal beers. If you like the ocktober fest witch is good, you need to try the summer ale when it comes out. You also need to go and check out the beer store up your way. It has thousands of beers from all over the world! Amazing place!!!

I love beer!

I love beer!

How coincidental! :beer:

I haven't homebrewed in nearly ten years. This weekend, I picked up some ingredients, and have a nice blonde ale fermenting in the basement as I type this.

I kind of got away from homebrewing after we bought our house. I kept all of my equipment at my buddy's house, and since we brew all-grain recipes, I'd kill a whole day over at his house to brew. Back before kids and home ownership, I could get away with that every other weekend. Just not so anymore.

On Sunday, I brewed an all-grain SMaSH beer (single type of malt and single type of hops) using the simple technique found here.

The nice thing was that I was able to do other stuff around the house (laundry, stacking firewood, playing with the kids, etc.) during the mash and boil.

The whole process from setup to cleanup was around 4 hours. Yeast was pitched Monday AM before work and I should have this bad boy kegged within then next two weeks.

I'm planning on brewing an American stout this upcoming weekend, then and ESB, a mild brown ale, and an Irish ale for the next three brews.

I've been re-bitten by the bug, and that little guy bites hard!:bounce3:

In the meantime, I'm working on a keg of Rohrbach's Stock ale that should tide me over for the next several weeks. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, did I mention that I love beer? :wildone:

I've been on a hard cider kick lately. I plan on making my own cider and next year with my parents press.

I just ordered a bunch of ingredients. I haven't brewed since before my "little trip" to NJ. I'm looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe - selection in even the better grocery stores leaves something to be desired.

The final tipping point was buying a 12-pack sampler from Magic Hat. I guess it's their Winter sampler. The only brew I recognized in it was Number 9, which I'm not a huge fan of. I figured if that was the worst beer in there I'd be happy.

After tasting one of each of the other three brews, I have to sadly report that Number 9 was my FAVORITE of the four. :(

Hit up Wegmans....They've added a decent selection. Southern Tier has a bunch of good brews with the IPA and Imperials being VERY good (and a decent porter from what i've been told but am not a fan of them). If you like darker and still drinkable, try Saranac's Black Forest.

Flying dog's sampler is usually decent too (not to mention they have fun names for their brews)

Next time you make it up Buffalo way, go check out Alternative Brews on Sheridan Dr.
Hundres of beers to choose from, and you would be amazed the differant ways you drink them, from the type of glass to drink them out of to the temp of the beer as you drink it! Plus the bartenders are usually super knowlagable and if you tell them the type of beer you like (wheat, ale, dark light, ect) they 9 times out of 10 can hook you up with another brand you never heard of but will love!

hit up beers of the world and have yourself a real oktoberfest beer. something from Haufbrau Haus or Ulrichsbier.

Oktoberfest by sam should be able to be found at beers of the world for sure too though, some wegmans might still have it here and there. I was at the REAL oktoberfest and my beer from teh real deal tastes very similar to Saranac Oktoberfest.

When my dads is fermenting or whatever it does in the keg, he is real crazy about people touching it or even getting near it for that matter. He says it has to sit still and cant be bumped or whatever. He has gun turrets and a laser guided missle and 6 security cameras, with armed guards that you have to get clearance from in order to go into our kitchen during the time it ferments. :beer:

But I dont discriminate, I love all beer. Especially the free kind.

Im planning an extract IPA next....once I drink off more of this hard cider and apple beer (graff), I can't wait!

Back